A Proton Moving Freely in a Constant Magnetic Field

In summary, A proton moves in a circular path at a constant speed and has a charge of 1.6x10^-19. Q= charge of proton. F=qvB sin(theta) is used to calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field. R is related to time it takes for a revolution by 2piR/V. B is related to the force of the magnetic field and can be solved for v.
myersb05
A proton moving freely in a circular path perpendicular to a constant magnetic field takes 1.50 µs to complete one revolution. Determine the magnitude of the magnetic field.

I know that a proton has a charge of 1.6x10^-19 and a mass of 1.67x10^-27. Those are the only two relevant facts I know about a proton. The equation I was attempting to use was F=qvBsin(theta). I know that theta is 90 because the proton is perpendicular to the field. So sin(theta) will be one. Q is the charge of the proton stated above. I do not know v or B, v being velocity and B the magnitude of the force of the magnetic field. I tried numerous ways to solve for v but I can not figure out how. We do have a time but we have no radius of the circle so I do not know how to reap a distance from the given information. I know that I have not explicitly attempted a solution, but I am really really genuinely stuck on this one. Someone please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
myersb05 said:
A proton moving freely in a circular path perpendicular to a constant magnetic field takes 1.50 µs to complete one revolution. Determine the magnitude of the magnetic field.

I know that a proton has a charge of 1.6x10^-19 and a mass of 1.67x10^-27. Those are the only two relevant facts I know about a proton. The equation I was attempting to use was F=qvBsin(theta). I know that theta is 90 because the proton is perpendicular to the field. So sin(theta) will be one. Q is the charge of the proton stated above. I do not know v or B, v being velocity and B the magnitude of the force of the magnetic field. I tried numerous ways to solve for v but I can not figure out how. We do have a time but we have no radius of the circle so I do not know how to reap a distance from the given information. I know that I have not explicitly attempted a solution, but I am really really genuinely stuck on this one. Someone please help.

You've got that F=qvB from the magnetic force. What does F also have to equal since that magnetic force is causing it to move in a circular path?

Also, for later in the problem, if a object is moving in a circular path of radius R with speed V, how is R and V related to the time it takes for the object to go around the circle once?

I had tried to set F=0 because the proton has a constant speed and no acceleration. But that did not help because you can't solve 0=qvB for B which is what I need. R is related to the time it takes for a revolution by 2piR/V. However, I have no radius. If I am wrong about F being equal to zero, and I feel like I am; could you give me another nudge as to what F may be equal to. Possibly the charge of the proton since it is acting equally against that charge to hold it in circular rotation? No, I don't think so, just a guess.

Were you referring to the fact that F would also have to equal m*(v^2/R)

myersb05 said:
Were you referring to the fact that F would also have to equal m*(v^2/R)

That's right; so set that equal to qvB to get your condition for circular motion in a magnetic field. Most books would solve what you get for r; what do you get?

Once you have that, find out how R, V, and T are related, and then you can get the time in your equation.

When solving qvB=m(v^2/R) for R, I got R=mv^2/qvB and from what I said earlier, I know that 2piR/V=T. So I can solve that for R as well and get R=TV/2pi. Then I can set my two equations equal and I have mv^2/qvB=TV/2pi. So now I successfully have time in my equation. Thanks so much for the help so far. However, I still have both B and v to solve for in my equation. All other variables I know.

Oh wait! You can solve that because the v's eventually cancel out. Thanks al, you are the man. You helped me maintain my 100 homework average for summer physics 2!

Sure, glad to help!

1. What is a proton?

A proton is a subatomic particle that has a positive charge and is located in the nucleus of an atom. It is one of the basic building blocks of matter and has a mass of approximately 1 atomic mass unit.

2. What is a constant magnetic field?

A constant magnetic field is a region in space where the magnetic field strength and direction do not change over time. It is typically created by a permanent magnet or an electromagnet.

3. How does a proton move in a constant magnetic field?

A proton will experience a force when placed in a magnetic field. This force, known as the Lorentz force, causes the proton to move in a circular path perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field.

4. What factors affect the movement of a proton in a constant magnetic field?

The movement of a proton in a constant magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the mass and charge of the proton, and the speed at which it is moving. The direction of the magnetic field also plays a role in determining the path of the proton.

5. What practical applications does the movement of a proton in a constant magnetic field have?

The movement of a proton in a constant magnetic field is used in a variety of applications such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in the medical field, particle accelerators in physics research, and magnetic compasses for navigation. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of electric motors and generators.