Solving Relativistic Timing for UN Flag Saluting on Jupiter

All observers at rest with respect to the light cone are in the same inertial frame. Therefore to be simultaneous for all inertial observers the time interval has to be greater than the distance between Jupiter and Earth divided by c.In summary, the person on Jupiter must salute the UN flag for a time interval greater than the distance between Jupiter and Earth divided by the speed of light in order for all inertial observers to agree that he has performed his duty. This is due to the fact that the event of saluting and the event of raising the flag must be simultaneous for all inertial observers, and this can only be achieved by holding the salute for a time that includes all spacelike intervals between the two events.
jianxu

Homework Statement

A member of a colony on Jupiter is required to salute the UN flag at the same time as it is being done on Earth at noon in New York. If observers in all inertial frames(i.e. any observer traveling at any arbitrary velocity) are to agree that he has performed his duty, how long must he solute for(i.e. seeing you don't know how fast the observer is traveling, what time iterval ensures that the rising of the falg and the saluting are simultaneous for all possible speeds of the observer)? (Distance between the planets is approximately 8 x10^6 km, ignore any relative motion of the planets)

Homework Equations

Lorentz Transformation

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help getting started on this. I have no idea what to do at all(partly because of not understanding what the question wants) I'm not sure if I'm suppose to derive an equation, or there is a number answer to this.

I'm totally stuck on the thought process portion and cannot/don't know how to translate anything onto paper.
I know that the arbitrary observer can have velocity from the range of -c to c but I don't know if that means I should end up with two solutions which will give us the time interval.

So any advice on how to begin this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a straightforward application of the lorentz transformation for time. You know that time slows down due to relative motion and it takes some time for light to travel some distance, so for the special case that the relative velocity of Jupiter and Earth are 0, the amount of time should be (Distance from Earth to Jupiter)/c.

There will be an infinite number of solutions (one that corresponds to each of the possible relative velocities that the planets could be moving with).

-----------------------------------------------------
theUndergrad
http://www.theUndergraduateJournal.com

Last edited by a moderator:
theUndergrad said:
This is a straightforward application of the lorentz transformation for time. You know that time slows down due to relative motion and it takes some time for light to travel some distance, so for the special case that the relative velocity of Jupiter and Earth are 0, the amount of time should be (Distance from Earth to Jupiter)/c.

There will be an infinite number of solutions (one that corresponds to each of the possible relative velocities that the planets could be moving with).

Are you saying all I have to do is to apply time dilation factor to (Distance from Earth to Jupiter)/c?

where t/time dilation factor = t'

There is only one way that all inertial observers will agree that they are simultaneous. He has to hold the salute for a time that includes all spacelike intervals from noon in NY on Earth to Jupiter. Draw a light cone.

Dick said:
There is only one way that all inertial observers will agree that they are simultaneous. He has to hold the salute for a time that includes all spacelike intervals from noon in NY on Earth to Jupiter. Draw a light cone.

This is still not making sense to me. I understand that the person on Jupiter has to hold the salute for the time it takes to travel between the planets. But what does a light cone have anything to do with this?

The person has to be holding it in the past of the event as well as in the future of the event until all inertial observers agree they are simultaneous. The only events that can be considered as simultaneous are outside of the mutual light cones of either event.

Last edited:

1. How does relativity affect timing for flag saluting on Jupiter?

Relativity is a theory that explains how time and space are affected by the presence of massive objects. On Jupiter, where the gravity is much stronger than on Earth, time runs slower due to the increased curvature of space-time. This means that any timing for flag saluting on Jupiter would need to take into account this time dilation effect.

2. What is the formula for calculating relativistic timing on Jupiter?

The formula for calculating relativistic timing on Jupiter is t' = t√(1-2GM/rc^2), where t' is the perceived time, t is the actual time, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of Jupiter, r is the distance from the center of Jupiter, and c is the speed of light.

3. How can we ensure accurate timing for flag saluting on Jupiter?

To ensure accurate timing for flag saluting on Jupiter, scientists must take into account the time dilation effect caused by the planet's strong gravity. This can be done by using the formula mentioned earlier and adjusting for the specific conditions on Jupiter, such as its mass and distance from the flag saluting location.

4. Is it possible to observe the time dilation effect on Jupiter?

Yes, it is possible to observe the time dilation effect on Jupiter through various experiments and observations. For example, scientists can use atomic clocks to measure the difference in time between Earth and Jupiter, or they can observe the motion of objects near the planet's surface to see how they are affected by the planet's strong gravity.

5. How does the relativistic timing for flag saluting on Jupiter compare to that on Earth?

The relativistic timing for flag saluting on Jupiter is significantly different from that on Earth due to the planet's massive size and strong gravity. On Jupiter, time runs slower, so any timing calculations must take this into account to ensure accuracy. On Earth, the effects of relativity are much smaller and can often be ignored in everyday timing scenarios.