Exploring the Nature of Charged Black Holes

In summary, the conversation discusses some questions about charged black holes. The equations for charged black holes are different from those without a charge, and it is unclear why the gravitational force at the horizon should be affected by minor additional forces like electrical attraction/repulsion. It is noted that a charged or uncharged free-falling observer will still reach the singularity at the horizon. The conversation also touches on the exchange of virtual photons in the case of an electron orbiting a charged black hole, and how they can pass through the horizon. It is suggested that virtual photons may not need to stay on the light-cone. The possibility of black holes having a color charge is also discussed, with the idea that the color force is not long-range
Dmitry67
Hi

I have few questions about charged BH.

1 I don't understand why the equations for the charged BH are different from BH without a charge. Why the gravitation, infinitely strong at the horizon, should 'care' about such minor additional forces like the electrical attraction/repulsion. Anyway, horizon is a point of no return as singularity becomes in the future for a free falling observer, no matter if he is charged or not. Additional electric repulsion would not 'save' the falling observer at the horizon.

2 Electron is orbiting a positively charged BH. QFT describes this attraction as exchange of virtual photons. But how can they pass thru the horizon?

3 Can BH have a color charge? Why not? Say green-antigreen u or d virtual quark pairs are torn abart at the horizon. What happens next?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Dmitry67 said:
Hi

I have few questions about charged BH.

1 I don't understand why the equations for the charged BH are different from BH without a charge. Why the gravitation, infinitely strong at the horizon, should 'care' about such minor additional forces like the electrical attraction/repulsion. Anyway, horizon is a point of no return as singularity becomes in the future for a free falling observer, no matter if he is charged or not. Additional electric repulsion would not 'save' the falling observer at the horizon.

Sorry, I don't understand this.
Dmitry67 said:
2 Electron is orbiting a positively charged BH. QFT describes this attraction as exchange of virtual photons. But how can they pass thru the horizon?

Roughly, virtual photons don't have to stay on the light-cone. See

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/BlackHoles/black_gravity.html.
Dmitry67 said:
3 Can BH have a color charge? Why not? Say green-antigreen u or d virtual quark pairs are torn abart at the horizon. What happens next?

Thank you

I thinks it's because, unlike the electromagnetic interaction, the colour force is not long-range, but I don't know the details.

String theorists play with black holes that have "exotic" charges.

2 Correct, I forgot about it. Thank you
3 Well, residual strong force is short range, but the fundamental strong interaction is long range, because gluon is massless. It appears to be short range just because of the confinement, so the reason for being short range is very different from the reason why weak interaction is short range.

So I am still thinking about it.
If virtual pair is torn apart by the horizon then both BH and space outside are color-charged...

What is a charged black hole?

A charged black hole is a type of black hole in which the electric charge is not balanced by an equal amount of positive and negative charges. This results in a net electric charge, causing the black hole to have an electromagnetic field.

How do charged black holes form?

Charged black holes are formed when a massive star collapses under its own gravity. As the star collapses, its core becomes extremely dense and the gravitational pull becomes so strong that even light cannot escape. If the star has an uneven distribution of electric charge, it can result in a charged black hole.

What is the difference between a charged black hole and a regular black hole?

The main difference between a charged black hole and a regular black hole is the presence of an electromagnetic field. This field affects the behavior of matter and light near the black hole, and can also alter the shape and size of the event horizon.

How do scientists study charged black holes?

Scientists study charged black holes by observing their effects on nearby matter and light. They also use mathematical models and simulations to better understand the behavior of charged black holes and their electromagnetic fields.

Can charged black holes be used for energy production?

Currently, there is no known way to harness the energy from a charged black hole. The immense gravitational pull and intense radiation near the event horizon make it impossible for any spacecraft or technology to get close enough to extract energy. However, some scientists are exploring theoretical possibilities of using charged black holes for energy production in the distant future.