Do Tadpoles Need Special Elements to Metamorphose?

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know if that's what it needs or not, but at least I'm not crazy now.In summary, In order for tadpoles to turn into frogs, they need a mineral in their water. If the water isn't cold enough, the tadpoles won't develop properly. Bullfrog tadpoles can take a year to undergo metamorphosis and are big.
leroyjenkens
I used to have a bunch of tadpoles and they never turned into frogs. Long after I got rid of them, I read up about how tadpoles need a certain kind of mineral or something in the water (forgot what it was) or else they won't turn into frogs.
Recently I tried to read up on it some more and I couldn't find ANYTHING on the internet that talks about that.

So do tadpoles really need this element in their water, whatever it was, or am I crazy?

Biology news on Phys.org
They would obviously need proper nutrition to grow sufficiently to undergo metamorphosis, but I don't think that would include anything special in the water.

How long did you wait for your tadpoles to undergo metamorphosis? The timing is species dependent. Some will only take a month or two from hatching to metamorphosis, and others can take a full year. Water temperature can also affect the rate of metamorphosis, with cooler temperatures slowing the process.

I have no way to know if you're crazy though. :wink: With all the odd things around on the internet, who knows, maybe you did read something...doesn't mean it was right.

Moonbear said:
They would obviously need proper nutrition to grow sufficiently to undergo metamorphosis, but I don't think that would include anything special in the water.

How long did you wait for your tadpoles to undergo metamorphosis? The timing is species dependent. Some will only take a month or two from hatching to metamorphosis, and others can take a full year. Water temperature can also affect the rate of metamorphosis, with cooler temperatures slowing the process.

I have no way to know if you're crazy though. :wink: With all the odd things around on the internet, who knows, maybe you did read something...doesn't mean it was right.

Yeah I fed them and the water was probably a little cold, but I live in Florida so it couldn't have been too bad.
I had them in there a while. My uncle gave them to me. I wanted them because they were so big. They were the biggest tadpoles I'd ever seen.
I put them in a big container and left them outside with a covering over it partly and fed them stuff.
Since they were big when I got them, I assumed they were close to metamorphosis. Maybe I was wrong. I had them for maybe a little less than a year.

And assuming everything you read on the internet is correct, then I'd have to be crazy if it turned out not to be true.

leroyjenkens said:
YI wanted them because they were so big. They were the biggest tadpoles I'd ever seen.
I put them in a big container and left them outside with a covering over it partly and fed them stuff.
Since they were big when I got them, I assumed they were close to metamorphosis. Maybe I was wrong. I had them for maybe a little less than a year.

Yep, sounds like you had bullfrog tadpoles. They can take over a year to undergo metamorphosis and would be BIG.
http://web.uvic.ca/bullfrogs/page4nathist.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a video where the guy explains that tadpoles need iodine to develop into frogs. I heard this somewhere else, but I couldn't find any other sources.
He says it starting at about 3:00 into the video.
So apparently it's iodine.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the special elements needed for tadpoles to metamorphose?

The special elements needed for tadpoles to metamorphose include water, food, and specific hormones.

2. Why do tadpoles need these special elements to metamorphose?

Tadpoles require these elements in order to develop and grow into adult frogs. Water is necessary for respiration, food provides energy for growth, and hormones trigger the physical changes of metamorphosis.

3. What happens if tadpoles do not have access to these special elements?

If tadpoles do not have access to these special elements, they may not be able to complete metamorphosis and will likely die. Without water, they will not be able to breathe properly and without food, they will not have the energy to grow and develop. Hormones are also essential for triggering the necessary changes in the tadpole's body during metamorphosis.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect tadpole metamorphosis?

Yes, there are other factors that can influence tadpole metamorphosis. These include temperature, light, and predators. Temperature can affect the rate at which tadpoles develop and metamorphose, while light can also play a role in the process. Predators can also impact tadpole survival and metamorphosis.

5. How long does it take for tadpoles to metamorphose?

The time it takes for tadpoles to metamorphose varies depending on the species of frog and environmental conditions. On average, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months for tadpoles to complete metamorphosis.