Can Black Holes Absorb Massless Light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of light being absorbed by black holes despite having no mass. It is explained that in general relativity, mass/energy curves spacetime, causing objects to follow curved paths and allowing for black holes to absorb light. No photon mass is necessary in this process.
Truthlover
First of all, I have to say that I'm not sure if my post is on the good forum. If there's any problem about that, just tell me where i should post it.

So my question is, why light can de be absorb by black holes if light has no mass. I mean if black holes have enormus gravitational force it still need to have an object with mass to be absorb?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In general relativity (the more modern theory of gravity) mass/energy (such as a black hole) curves spacetime. Things (particles, photons, etc.) follow paths in the curved spacetime. This can be manifest as a black hole absorbing light. No photon mass is necessary.

Um...I think this was an easy one for you. Thanks. I will review Einstein Theory of relativity.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape from it. It is formed when a massive star collapses under its own gravity.

2. How does the mass of a black hole affect its properties?

The mass of a black hole determines its size and strength of its gravitational pull. The more massive a black hole is, the larger its event horizon (the point of no return) and the stronger its gravitational pull.

3. Can we see a black hole?

No, we cannot directly see a black hole since even light cannot escape from it. However, we can observe the effects of a black hole on the surrounding matter and light, such as the bending of light around the black hole.

4. How does the mass of light relate to black holes?

The mass of light does not directly relate to black holes as light does not have any mass. However, the mass of an object can determine whether it can escape from the gravitational pull of a black hole or not.

5. Can black holes be destroyed?

No, according to current theories, black holes cannot be destroyed. They can only grow in mass by absorbing matter and merging with other black holes, but they cannot be destroyed or "turned off".