Erf Function in MATLAB: Ignoring Terms?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the erf function in symbolic integration and whether or not the terms affiliated with this function can be ignored in the integration process. The participants also mention the possibility of the erf function being a custom MATLAB function and provide a link to further information on the error function.
Barkan
Hi all,

This question may be silly but I've come across with erf function while performing a symbolic integration of a complicated math expression. i guess it refers an error function that can be cumulated during the integration process but does it mean that I can ignore the terms affiliated with erf function. for instance

= a*x*bla bla + erf(xxxxxxxxx)

does it mean that i can ignore the second term at RHS?

thank you very much in advance

ps: in MATLAB by the way

Physics news on Phys.org
I really doubt it. Did you wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_function" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my bad. Thank you very much. I just thought it's a custom MATLAB function.
Thank you Integral. :)

1. What is the Erf function in MATLAB?

The Erf function, also known as the error function, is a special function in MATLAB that is used to calculate the Gaussian cumulative distribution function. It is defined as the integral of the standard normal distribution from 0 to x.

2. How do I use the Erf function in MATLAB?

To use the Erf function in MATLAB, you can simply call it with the desired input value as an argument. For example, if you want to calculate the Erf value for x = 2, you would type "erf(2)" in the command window and press enter. This will return the corresponding Erf value.

3. Can I ignore certain terms in the Erf function?

Yes, you can ignore certain terms in the Erf function by using the "ignoreterms" option. This allows you to specify which terms you want to ignore in the calculation. For example, if you want to ignore the first two terms, you would type "erf(x, 'ignoreterms', [1 2])".

4. What is the purpose of ignoring terms in the Erf function?

Ignoring terms in the Erf function allows you to improve the accuracy of the calculation. By ignoring certain terms, you can reduce the computational complexity and speed up the calculation without significantly affecting the accuracy of the result.

5. Can I plot the Erf function in MATLAB?

Yes, you can plot the Erf function in MATLAB by using the "plot" function. You can specify the range of values for x and the number of points to plot. This will create a graph of the Erf function for the specified range of values.