Finite Difference Approximation of u_tt = F(x,t,u,u_x, u_xx)

In summary, the finite difference approximation of u_tt = F(x,t,u,u_x, u_xx) is given by the formula: u_tt = (F(x, t + dt, u(x, t + dt), (u(x + dx; t + dt) - u(x - dx; t + dt))/(2dx), (u(x + 2dx; t + dt) - 2u(x; t + dt) + u(x - 2dx; t + dt))/(4dx^2)) - 2F(x, t, u(x, t), (u(x + dx; t) - u(x - dx; t))/(2dx), (u(x + 2dx; t)
compliant

Homework Statement

Given u_tt = F(x,t,u,u_x, u_xx), give the finite difference approximation of the pde (ie using u_x = (u(x + dx; t) - u(x - dx; t))/(2dx) etc.)

Homework Equations

Well, clearly, u_x = (u(x + dx; t) - u(x - dx; t))/(2dx)

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea how that formula applies, but I do know that u_tt = u(x,t+dt) - 2u(x,t) + u(x,t-dt) / 2(dt)^2. How the non-homogeneous term F applies, I have no clue.I'd be eternally grateful for any help anyone has to provide...considering I was the only person to reply to my last thread (on PDEs.)

Physics news on Phys.org
The finite difference approximation of u_tt = F(x,t,u,u_x, u_xx) is given by:u_tt = (F(x, t + dt, u(x, t + dt), (u(x + dx; t + dt) - u(x - dx; t + dt))/(2dx), (u(x + 2dx; t + dt) - 2u(x; t + dt) + u(x - 2dx; t + dt))/(4dx^2)) - 2F(x, t, u(x, t), (u(x + dx; t) - u(x - dx; t))/(2dx), (u(x + 2dx; t) - 2u(x; t) + u(x - 2dx; t))/(4dx^2)) + F(x, t - dt, u(x, t - dt), (u(x + dx; t - dt) - u(x - dx; t - dt))/(2dx), (u(x + 2dx; t - dt) - 2u(x; t - dt) + u(x - 2dx; t - dt))/(4dx^2))---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/ 2(dt)^2

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of a multivariable function. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is a finite approximation of a PDE?

A finite approximation of a PDE is a numerical method used to approximate the solution of a PDE by dividing the domain into a finite number of smaller subdomains. This allows for the use of discrete equations and algorithms to approximate the continuous PDE solution.

3. What are the advantages of using finite approximation for PDEs?

Finite approximation methods for PDEs have several advantages, including being computationally efficient, allowing for the use of discrete data and algorithms, and providing a more accurate solution compared to analytical methods for complex PDEs.

4. What are some common finite approximation methods for PDEs?

Some common finite approximation methods for PDEs include finite difference methods, finite element methods, and finite volume methods. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of PDEs.

5. What are some applications of finite approximation of PDEs?

Finite approximation methods for PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields, including fluid dynamics, heat transfer, electromagnetics, and finance. They are also commonly used in computer simulations and modeling for scientific and engineering purposes.