AdS/CFT: any significant quantitative success?

In summary: QCD can't already do. It's definitely opened up some new methods of computing, but it's not clear yet whether those are actually more powerful. In summary, I think AdS/CFT is an interesting tool that has produced some qualitative insights, but it hasn't yet led to any breakthroughs in QCD.
petergreat
I've heard a lot about AdS/CFT lately as an approach to solve strongly coupled field theories such as QCD and condensed matter systems. However I am left wondering whether AdS/CFT has produced any quantitative result that is either i) not obtainable from previous methods, or ii) significantly less demanding in computing power than, say, lattice QCD?

Physics news on Phys.org
petergreat said:
I've heard a lot about AdS/CFT lately as an approach to solve strongly coupled field theories such as QCD and condensed matter systems. However I am left wondering whether AdS/CFT has produced any quantitative result that is either i) not obtainable from previous methods, or ii) significantly less demanding in computing power than, say, lattice QCD?
Hermann Nicolai has an article about this. He is a prominent European string theorist.
My impression was that string math has NOT produced anything on QCD that was not already obtainable (as you said) but that it's nevertheless useful. It opens up alternative methods of computing that may be superior in some cases. I'll try to find links to Nicolai's writings about this.

Here is one piece he had in Nature, October 2007
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v449/n7164/full/449797a.html
A PF member kindly posted a few selected excerpts so you can see the main thing the article says:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1473963&postcount=11

Last edited by a moderator:
It has one success can be observable is the result of Prof Dam Thanh Son in physical review letter 2005 about viscosity/entropy ratio in strongly interacting system.

marcus said:
My impression was that string math has NOT produced anything om QCD that was not already obtainable (as you said) but that it's nevertheless useful.
From gauge-string duality to strong interactions: a Pedestrian's Guide
Ann.Rev.Nucl.Part.Sci.59:145-168,2009
The role of the gauge-string duality in our understanding of the strong interaction is still evolving. The duality has made an indelible mark on our understanding of QCD, and it offers uniquely geometrical perspectives on confinement and the quark-gluon plasma. However, it has not solved QCD.
So, there is on one side people trying to solve QCD who have not (yet ?) succeeded, and there are on all other sides people trying to model QCD for whom the geometric perspective offered by Maldacena is most inspiring. I'll quote a little more from the conclusion of the above review.
The gauge-string duality [...] falls short [of describing strong interactions]. [...] Yet, constructions that use classical gravity and probe branes provide an excellent venue for calculations ranging from meson spectra to transport coefficients. Finite temperature is elegantly included in these calculations in terms of a black hole horizon in the fifth dimension.

Making the comparisons between such calculations and QCD systematic is a persistent difficulty. Despite this difficulty, gauge-string treatments of confinement and of finite-temperature nonabelian plasmas are valuable because they complement insights from more standard quantum field theoretic treatments. For example, the descriptions of confinement are elegant and geometrical, the connection to hydrodynamics is relatively simple, and the interplay between hard probes and a thermal medium is rich and explicit.

Last edited:
Hi petergreat,

Using AdS/CFT to study strongly interacting systems is still in its infancy, but let me give you some of the highlights so far in my opinion. AdS/CFT has provided quite a few qualitative insights. Here are a few examples:

1. The idea that viscosity and entropy density should be strongly related is a product of AdS/CFT. In particular, there is a conjectured bound on the ratio [tex] \eta / s [/tex] ([tex] \eta [/tex] is the viscosity) which is supposed to be bigger than [tex] 1/(4\pi) [/tex]. We now know this bound is not true, but it did inspire people to look at this quantity which is very natural from the gravity point of view. The quark gluon plasma at RHIC and cold fermions at unitarity come close to this "bound".

2. AdS/CFT provides a new geometrical picture of confinement. In fact, I've heard many people say that if we hadn't already discovered confinement, we would have learned about it from AdS/CFT. This illustrates one of the key hopes of the AdS/CFT community, namely, that we might learn about qualitatively new dynamical phenomena at strong coupling.

3. AdS/CFT gives a beautiful geometrical picture of entanglement entropy in the field theory. The gravity calculation is incredibly easy compared to the field theory calculation, but I think it hasn't yet led to really interesting progress on the field theory side. However, the interplay of quantum information theory and gravity is just beginning to be understood in the context of AdS/CFT.

4. AdS/CFT really shines in real time transport at finite temperature. These calculations are extremely difficult in the field theory because of subtleties in analytic continuation, etc that arise. I personally think one of the major contributions of AdS/CFT will be to the study of real time response and non-equilibrium phenomena at finite temperature in field theory. But this area is still very young.

I focused on the positive, but AdS/CFT is still a long way from making contact with really real systems. The closest so far may be the quark gluon plasma where some quantitative predictions of the theory may be more or less borne out. Other condensed matter systems still seem quite out of reach, despite the motivations of many people in the field. We best understand translation invariant highly supersymmetric situations at large N, strong coupling, etc, which are relatively far from systems like cuprate superconductors or heavy fermi liquids.

Of course, we are learning a great deal about quantum gravity as well!

Hope this helps.

The key question is whether AdS/CFT is 1) a new computational toolbox for no-perturbative (S)QCD, or whether it is 2) a model for quantizing gravity and harmonizing it with other interactions.
For 1) the current status of AdS/CFT is fine, but for 2) rigorous proofs are missing.

For me it is still unclear what the implications of the famous dualities really are: is the standard model with QCD a low-energy effective QFT derived from some string theory model (lie AdS/CFT)? Or is string theory a large-N approximation of QCD?

1. What is AdS/CFT and what does it stand for?

AdS/CFT stands for Anti-de Sitter/Conformal Field Theory, which is a theoretical framework that relates two seemingly unrelated concepts in physics: anti-de Sitter space, a type of curved spacetime, and conformal field theory, a type of quantum field theory. It is also known as the AdS/CFT correspondence.

2. How does the AdS/CFT correspondence work?

The AdS/CFT correspondence is based on the idea that two seemingly different theories can be equivalent in certain situations. In this case, it relates the properties of a quantum field theory living on the boundary of a spacetime (conformal field theory) to the properties of a gravity theory living in the bulk of the spacetime (anti-de Sitter space). This means that calculations in one theory can be translated into the other theory, providing a powerful tool for studying both theories.

3. What are some significant quantitative successes of AdS/CFT?

AdS/CFT has been successful in providing a framework for understanding the properties of strongly interacting systems, such as quark-gluon plasma and black holes. It has also been used to study the behavior of certain condensed matter systems and to make predictions about their properties. Additionally, it has been used to calculate the entropy of black holes, which was previously unexplained by other theories.

4. What are some limitations of AdS/CFT?

One limitation of AdS/CFT is that it only works for certain types of theories, specifically those that have a conformal symmetry. It also does not provide a complete theory of quantum gravity, as it only describes a certain type of spacetime (anti-de Sitter space). Additionally, it is a theoretical framework and has not yet been confirmed by experimental evidence.

5. How has AdS/CFT impacted the field of theoretical physics?

AdS/CFT has had a significant impact on theoretical physics, particularly in the fields of quantum gravity, high-energy physics, and condensed matter physics. It has provided a new perspective on the nature of spacetime and has led to new insights and predictions about the behavior of physical systems. It has also sparked new research and collaborations between different areas of physics, leading to advancements in our understanding of the universe.