Calculating Force and Distance in a Hydraulic Lift System

In summary, a hydraulic lift uses two pistons with different radii to lift objects. In this specific case, the radii are 2.50 cm and 10 cm. To lift a car of mass 1000 kg, a force of 612.5 N must be applied to the proper piston. To lift the car by 10 cm, the smaller piston needs to be pushed by 10 cm, but the exact distance the car will be lifted is unknown. To solve for this, the equation P2 = P1 + pgd can be used, where P represents pressure, g represents gravitational acceleration, and d represents distance. However, more information is needed to determine the final height of the car.
blackdog666

Homework Statement

In a hydraulic lift, the radii of the pistons are 2.50 cm and 10 cm. A car of mass 1000 kg is to be lifted for inspection.

b) what force must be applied to the proper piston to be able to lift the car with ease?

C) If the smaller piston is pushed by 10 cm, how far is the car lifted?

Homework Equations

P2 = P1 + pgd
P = F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that in b, the required force is 612.5 N, however for C I just don't know what to do. I try putting in 10 cm into the first formula (converting 10 cm into 0.1 m), however I just don't know what to do from there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please, can anyone help me.

What is a fluid?

A fluid is a substance that can flow and take the shape of its container, such as liquids and gases. It is also able to exert pressure evenly in all directions.

What is Pascal's Principle?

Pascal's Principle, also known as the principle of transmission of fluid-pressure, states that when there is an increase in pressure at any point in a confined fluid, there is an equal increase at every other point in the container.

How is pressure in a fluid calculated?

Pressure in a fluid is calculated by dividing the force acting on the fluid by the area over which the force is applied. The formula for pressure is: P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

What is an example of Pascal's Principle in everyday life?

A common example of Pascal's Principle is the operation of a hydraulic lift. When a small force is applied to a small piston, it creates a larger force on a larger piston through the transmission of fluid pressure, allowing heavy objects to be lifted.

How does Pascal's Principle relate to the functioning of the human body?

Pascal's Principle is essential for the functioning of the human body. Our blood vessels, which contain fluids, rely on this principle to circulate blood throughout the body. When the heart pumps, it creates pressure that is transmitted to the blood vessels, allowing blood to flow to different parts of the body.