Integration Help: U-Substitution for $\sqrt{9x^{2}+4}$

• Thread starter tweety1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about using a u-substitution on the integral of \frac{1}{\sqrt{9x^{2}+4}} dx and whether it is possible to do so. The person asking the question has tried and gotten a more complicated integral, and is wondering if there is a method or theory to solve it. The other person suggests using a trigonometric substitution, specifically the relation sin^2x+cos^2x=1, to simplify the integral.
tweety1234

Homework Statement

Hi,

I am not sure if you can use a u-substitution on this integral, [tex] \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{9x^{2}+4}} dx [/tex]?

[tex] \sqrt{9x^{2}+4} [/tex]

Can I?

I have tried it, but get an even more complicated integral from what I started with.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can refer to the standard integrals in the PF library to get the solution directly.

n.karthick said:
You can refer to the standard integrals in the PF library to get the solution directly.

Thank you, but the table does not show me a method, and I would really like to know how to go about this.

I am right in saying we can use a substitution?

You can use a substitution, but not the one you used. Have you learned the theory and method of trigonometric substitutions?

Could you think of using the trigonometric relation [itex] sin^2x+cos^2x=1[/itex] to simplify your integral.

If that isn't a sufficient hint note that dividing both sides of [itex]sin^2 x+ cos^2 x= 1[/itex] by [itex]cos^2 x[/itex] gives [itex]tan^2 x+ 1= sec^2 x[/itex] and that
[tex]\sqrt{9x^2+ 4}= \sqrt{\frac{1}{4}\left(\frac{9x^2}{4}+ 1\right)}= \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\left(\frac{3x}{2}\right)^2+ 1}[/tex]

What is u-substitution?

U-substitution is a method used in integration to simplify an integral by substituting a new variable for the original variable. This allows us to rewrite the integral in terms of the new variable, making it easier to solve.

Why is u-substitution useful for integrating $\sqrt{9x^{2}+4}$?

In this case, u-substitution is useful because it allows us to simplify the integrand by substituting $\sqrt{9x^{2}+4}$ with a new variable, making it easier to integrate.

How do I choose the u-substitution for $\sqrt{9x^{2}+4}$?

The best choice for u-substitution is to let $u=3x$, which will result in $du=3dx$, allowing us to rewrite the integral as $\frac{1}{3}\int\sqrt{u^{2}+4}du$. This simplifies the integral and makes it easier to solve.

Do I always have to use u-substitution for integrating $\sqrt{9x^{2}+4}$?

No, u-substitution is not the only method for integrating $\sqrt{9x^{2}+4}$. Other methods such as integration by parts or trigonometric substitutions can also be used. However, in most cases, u-substitution is the simplest method.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using u-substitution for $\sqrt{9x^{2}+4}$?

One common mistake is forgetting to substitute the new variable back into the final answer. It is important to remember to replace all instances of the new variable in the final answer with the original variable. Another mistake is choosing an incorrect u-substitution, which can lead to a more complex integral. It is important to carefully choose the substitution that will simplify the integral the most.