Understanding Differentiation with x: ln and Exponents

In summary, for problem 1, the natural log of a fraction can be rewritten as the difference of the natural logs of the numerator and denominator. For problem 2, the derivative involves using the chain rule and the property of logs. The final answer is -2(lnx+1)x / 2y.
M.Qayyum

Homework Statement

1) ln { (x^2+x+1) / ( x^2-x+1) } here ln = natural log
2) x^2+x^(2y)=c here c=constant

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
Show us your attempt at a solution.

My attempt at 2)

x^2+x^(2y)=c

x^2+2ylnx=c

diff wrt x

2+(2lnx+1/x.2y.y')=0

1/x.2y.y'=-2-2lnx

y'= -2(lnx+1)x / 2y

is this correct and i can't understand the question no. one and how to start it's differentiation.

M.Qayyum said:
My attempt at 2)

x^2+x^(2y)=c

x^2+2ylnx=c
x2y [itex]\neq[/itex] 2y ln(x).

You can write x2y as (eln(x))2y = e2y ln(x), and then differentiate.

For #1, ln(a/b) = ln(a) - ln(b). Use that property of logs before trying to differentiate.
M.Qayyum said:
diff wrt x

2+(2lnx+1/x.2y.y')=0

1/x.2y.y'=-2-2lnx

y'= -2(lnx+1)x / 2y

is this correct and i can't understand the question no. one and how to start it's differentiation.

Thank u very much...it really helps

1. What does "differentiate w.r.t x" mean?

When you differentiate with respect to x, you are finding the derivative of a function with respect to the independent variable x. This means that you are finding how the output of the function changes as the input x changes.

2. Why do we differentiate with respect to x?

In many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, it is important to understand how a quantity changes in relation to another quantity. Differentiating with respect to x allows us to quantify this relationship and make predictions about how the system will behave.

3. What is the process for differentiating w.r.t x?

The process of differentiating with respect to x involves using specific rules and formulas, such as the power rule and chain rule, to find the derivative of a function. This involves taking the limit of the change in the function's output over the change in the input, as the change in the input approaches zero.

4. What are some applications of differentiating w.r.t x?

Differentiation with respect to x has many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can be used to find rates of change, optimize functions, model physical systems, and analyze data.

5. How can I improve my skills in differentiating w.r.t x?

To improve your skills in differentiating with respect to x, it is important to practice using different rules and formulas and to apply them to a variety of functions. You can also seek help from a tutor or online resources to better understand the concepts and techniques involved in differentiation.