Calculate Bagel Tossing Speed and Catching Position?

• Thread starter Whatupdoc
  • Start date
In summary: First, you need to take the horizontal speed of the lunch (v) and subtract Henrietta's initial speed (0m/s). That left you with the lunch's horizontal speed at any point in time (v-g). Next, you need to find the time it would take for the lunch to travel that distance given its horizontal speed and the initial time (t). You do that by dividing v-g by t. The answer is 2,77s.
Whatupdoc
Tossing Your Lunch. Henrietta is going off to her physics class, jogging down the sidewalk at a speed of 2.55m/s . Her husband Bruce suddenly realizes that she left in such a hurry that she forgot her lunch of bagels, so he runs to the window of their apartment, which is a height 37.6m above the street level and directly above the sidewalk, to throw them to her. Bruce throws them horizontally at a time 6.00s after Henrietta has passed below the window, and she catches them on the run. You can ignore air resistance.

my question: With what initial speed must Bruce throw the bagels so Henrietta can catch them just before they hit the ground? Take free fall acceleration to be g=9.80m/s^2 .

#2) Where is Henrietta when she catches the bagels? Take free fall acceleration to be g=9.80m/s^2 .

can someone help me with telling me what formula i need? and can you explain why you picked the formula? i always have trouble picking formulas

Physics news on Phys.org
Rather than knowing which formulas to apply when, it is important in physics to learn how to use basic principles and methods of thinking to solve problems. Try to think of the horizontal and vertical components of the path of the bagels separately. Here's what you know: vertically, they traveled a distance of 37.6 m while being accelerated by gravity and with an initial velocity of 0 m/s; horizontally, they maintained a constant speed until they were caught by Henrietta. Try to go from there.

x(t) = x(0) + v(0)t + 1/2at^2
37.6 = 0 + 0 + 1/2(-9.8)t^2

using that formula i got the time it took for the bagel to drop, which is t=2.77s

ok i know that Henrietta is currently at t=6.00s. what do i do next? i was trying to figure it out, but i don't get it

You know Henrietta's speed and how long she's been walking (6s+2,77s) when the lunch is at ground level. Now you just need to know how fast the the lunch needs to move horizontally to cross that same distance in 2,77s (the time it takes for it to hit the ground [Henrietta] and thus stop moving).

1. What causes people to "toss their lunch"?

There are several potential reasons for this reaction, including food poisoning, motion sickness, anxiety, or a stomach virus. It can also be a side effect of certain medications or a symptom of an underlying medical condition.

2. Is it dangerous to "toss your lunch"?

In most cases, this reaction is not dangerous and is simply the body's way of getting rid of something that is causing discomfort or illness. However, if it happens frequently or is accompanied by other symptoms, it is important to consult a doctor to rule out any serious underlying issues.

3. How can you prevent yourself from "tossing your lunch"?

The best way to prevent this reaction is to avoid triggers such as spoiled or contaminated food, excessive alcohol consumption, or activities that cause motion sickness. Eating smaller, more frequent meals and avoiding greasy or spicy foods can also help prevent nausea and vomiting.

4. Should you seek medical attention if you "toss your lunch"?

If this reaction occurs frequently or is accompanied by other symptoms such as severe abdominal pain, fever, or dehydration, it is important to seek medical attention. It could be a sign of a more serious underlying condition that requires treatment.

5. Is "tossing your lunch" contagious?

No, this reaction is not contagious. It is typically caused by individual factors such as food intolerances, allergies, or medical conditions. However, if it is caused by a stomach virus, it can be transmitted to others through close contact or sharing contaminated objects.