Can the success of Ivy Leaguers in science be attributed to their alma maters?

In summary: Ivy League universities do have a higher acceptance rate, but if you look at the statistics for the number of students who attend the Ivy League, a lot of them go into grad school.
Hypercubes
Hello,

I am looking at universities now, as a high school student in Canada. I live very close to a top 40 university, and I was wondering on how much difference a top 40 university makes versus a top 10 or Ivy League university for undergrad in physics. Looking at Nobel Prize winners for example, I notice many of them went to very highly-ranked universities. To which can the success of Ivy Leaguers in science be attributed?

a) The inherent selectivity of these universities assures that some of the best minds attend them
b) The quality of teaching is better
c) The connections made help in the future
d) Going to these institutions opens the door for better job and research opportunities

I would greatly appreciate any answers.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of A, a tiny bit of B, a little bit of C, and a little bit of D

The "smart" kids back when the nobel winners were younger all went to the ivy league colleges because they knew A) how to apply, B) had some connections, and C) knew enough about what they wanted to do to search for those opportunities.

Now, with the advent of the internet, online applications, and the college craze, acceptance rates for the ivy league universities has gotten incredibly low.

While going to a top 20 or top 10 university certainly doesn't hurt, plenty of smart kids today are looking towards other schools as more realistic and inviting institutions to spend their undergrad years. Plenty of top 50 and top 30 schools are getting great, sharp kids.

I am a senior this year and looking at college, and while my stats are good, they are no where near the level necessary to get into an Ivy League university or a school of the calibre. I am simply looking elsewhere for scholarship money, and I know I will find a great student body if I look for a good fit.

I wouldn't worry too much about where you go to undergrad. Grad school, for the most part, is what matters.

Great answer, thanks! :biggrin:

Anyone else care to comment please?

The quality of teaching is certainly NOT better in general. The top universities attract students who don't need to be taught as much as they just need to be given a place to learn. They're more motivated than the average student. You can also get connections at any school, but it's only natural that you'll be more successful in life if you can surround yourself with people more suited to being successful in life. Of course, it only gives you more opportunities... you still have to depend on yourself :)

All these Nobel winners you are talking about went to top graduate schools; they may not have good to a big-name school for undergrad. Ravi Vakil is one of the top algebraic geometers in the world. He did his undergrad at the University of Toronto and his PhD at Harvard:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravi_Vakil
A school may not have the most prestige, but it may nonetheless still be very good. As long as you get into a good school, it doesn't have to be Princeton or MIT or whatever, and you work your hardest...who knows.

1. What is the benefit of attending a university for my undergraduate degree?

Attending a university for your undergraduate degree provides a well-rounded education that goes beyond just your major. You will have the opportunity to take courses in different subjects, gain critical thinking and communication skills, and participate in extracurricular activities. Additionally, a university degree is often seen as a requirement for many professional careers.

2. How do I choose the right university for my undergraduate studies?

Choosing the right university for your undergraduate studies can be a daunting task. It's important to consider factors such as location, size, academic programs, campus culture, and financial aid opportunities. Researching and visiting different universities can help you make an informed decision.

3. What are the differences between public and private universities?

The main difference between public and private universities is their funding. Public universities are funded by state governments and tend to have lower tuition costs, while private universities rely on donations and tuition fees to operate. Private universities often have smaller class sizes and a more selective admissions process.

4. Can I change my major during my undergraduate studies?

Yes, you can usually change your major during your undergraduate studies. However, it's important to consider the potential consequences, such as additional time and money spent on courses and potentially delaying graduation. It's best to carefully consider your interests and goals before committing to a major.

5. What is the difference between an undergraduate degree and a graduate degree?

An undergraduate degree is typically a bachelor's degree, which is the first level of post-secondary education. A graduate degree, such as a master's or doctoral degree, is a higher level of education that requires completion of an undergraduate degree. Graduate degrees often have a more specialized focus and can lead to advanced career opportunities.