Can Anyone Help with These Twisted Vector Problems?

• Thread starter ppacc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses a student struggling to understand vector problems and asking for help. The question is about determining the difference between two vectors and finding the unitary vector in the direction of the difference. The conversation also includes a reminder to check the textbook and avoid double posting.
ppacc
Please Help! I just don’t get it and I’ve been studying for hours.

Question :
Knowing that Vectors C = (4i-1j-3k)m and D=(21-3j-5k)m
Determine
a. S=C-D
b. │S
c. The Unitary vector in the direction of S

My Prof has given us a test one week after the first class and I just don’t get these study questions. I can add and multiply vectots but this stuff I just don’t get and there is no one to help.

If anyone out there can help you’ll really be appreciated

Pamela

Physics news on Phys.org
The rule for subtracting vectors as in (a) should be similar to adding vectors. I'm sure that even the lousiest textbook explains how to do it. Why don't you have a look at your textbook, or tell us what you think the answers/solutions are?

Also, I think you made a typo. Is vector D = (2i - 3j - 5k) or is D = (21i - 3j - 5k)?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=43092

People don't like it when other people double post. Please don't do this anymore. In my post above, I've simply repeated part of the information provided in replies to the other thread you opened. My reply is now redundant and I've wasted my time unnecessarily.

1. What are twisted vector problems?

Twisted vector problems are mathematical problems that involve manipulating vectors in a three-dimensional space using various operations, such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication. These problems often require advanced mathematical skills and are commonly used in physics and engineering.

2. What makes twisted vector problems challenging?

Twisted vector problems can be challenging because they require a solid understanding of vector operations and the ability to visualize vectors in a three-dimensional space. Additionally, these problems often involve complex calculations and may require the use of advanced mathematical techniques.

3. How are twisted vector problems used in science?

Twisted vector problems are commonly used in science, particularly in fields such as physics and engineering. They are used to model and analyze various physical phenomena, such as forces, motion, and electromagnetism. Understanding and solving these problems is essential for developing new technologies and advancing scientific knowledge.

4. What are some strategies for solving twisted vector problems?

One strategy for solving twisted vector problems is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. This could involve drawing diagrams, identifying known and unknown quantities, and using vector algebra to manipulate the given information. Another strategy is to use geometric intuition to visualize the vectors and their relationships in a three-dimensional space.

5. Are there any real-world applications for twisted vector problems?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for twisted vector problems. For example, they are used in engineering to design structures, such as bridges and buildings, that can withstand forces from multiple directions. They are also used in physics to model the motion of objects and the behavior of electromagnetic fields. Additionally, twisted vector problems are used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic 3D images and simulations.