What is the average grade in grad school?

In summary: Well, if I'm asking a faculty member, they'd most probably give a very broad and general answer. After all, saying "most people get As as long as they work hard" is something no person in a department would guarantee unless they actually teach the class. I'd imagine something more like, "you'd have to be more specific and ask the professor related to the course as each course depends". And yes, I'm quite proud. It's one of the main reasons why I'm trying to get into a math-focused program.
sbk
"Normal" Grad School Grades

I'm just finished my first semester of graduate school and I had a question about grades. I did ok this semester, not as good as I'd like but above 3.0. However, I'm a little confused about grades in grad school. As a an undergraduate I had around 3.8, but didn't worry about the grade as long as I learned the material well. I have the same mindset in grad school.

But I guess I'm kind of confused about what the average grade is. Most programs seem like they don't give credit for anything below a B, however in one class I scored at or above the median on all exams and still got a B+. I'm fine with that grade, but I've had friends tell me that anything below an A is bad. I can't believe this is true (from my limited experience). I was just curious what the average grade is in grad school (is a B really equal to a C?). I'm in an applied math program btw.

Physics news on Phys.org

Some professors give everyone an A unless you do very poorly, some give out F's (yes, actual F's). My GPA at my first grad school was a 3.2; after transferring, my GPA at the second grad school (same rank) was 3.9 when I graduated. Every school has their own way of doing things. From what I've seen, the basic classes you take when you arrive are 'A is great, B is good, C is a problem' and seminar or more specialized courses are 'most people get an A, B isn't great, C means you didn't show up'.

I think it's best to look at the guidelines for your particular grad program. For mine, there is a certain minimum GPA to be able to take the qualifying exams, and after that there may also be some requirements for continuing in the program. But once you are doing research, that's what really counts, and as long as you are fulfilling the requirements, as far as I can tell focusing on the research at the expense of grades is OK.

It certainly depends on the program. When I was a student, A was roughly the top half of the course, B was the bottom half, and C was failing.

I was talking to one of the candidates for the tenure-track professor position open at my school about his experience at grad school, and one thing he said was grades really don't matter in grad school. As long as you learn the material and get at least a B, nobody really cares if you got an A or a B.

Jack21222 said:
I was talking to one of the candidates for the tenure-track professor position open at my school about his experience at grad school, and one thing he said was grades really don't matter in grad school. As long as you learn the material and get at least a B, nobody really cares if you got an A or a B.

No one else but me finds a contradiction in this post? Really?

clope023 said:

It's not necessarily a contradiction. The implication could be, "Nobody cares whether you get an 'A' or a 'B' (so long as you have at least a 'B')."

Last edited:

Anyone know about Berkeley math grad school's general policy? I'm going to be taking quite a few courses there so I'm pretty curious if the curves are more lenient than what they are in undergrad courses.

clope023 said:

There is no contradiction in my post. As long as you meet the absolute minimum grade (which is a B,) nobody cares what you get. B, B+, A-, A... doesn't really matter according to the gentleman I spoke to.

Anonymous217 said:
Anyone know about Berkeley math grad school's general policy? I'm going to be taking quite a few courses there so I'm pretty curious if the curves are more lenient than what they are in undergrad courses.

You must be very proud of yourself to be taking classes at Berkeley. May I suggest asking someone actually involved in the department?

hadsed said:
You must be very proud of yourself to be taking classes at Berkeley. May I suggest asking someone actually involved in the department?

Well, if I'm asking a faculty member, they'd most probably give a very broad and general answer. After all, saying "most people get As as long as they work hard" is something no person in a department would guarantee unless they actually teach the class. I'd imagine something more like, "you'd have to be more specific and ask the professor related to the course as each course depends". And yes, I'm quite proud. It's one of the main reasons why Berkeley was the school I picked over the others: to take math grad classes there.

What are normal grad school grades?

Normal grad school grades refer to the grades that are typically expected and considered satisfactory for graduate students. This may vary depending on the institution and field of study, but generally it is a B or above.

How are grad school grades different from undergraduate grades?

Grad school grades are typically more focused on coursework and research specific to the student's field of study, whereas undergraduate grades cover a broader range of subjects. Additionally, grad school grades may be more heavily weighted towards independent research and projects rather than exams and quizzes.

What is a good grade point average (GPA) for grad school?

A good GPA for grad school may vary depending on the institution and program, but typically a GPA of 3.0 or above is considered competitive. However, some programs may have higher expectations and require a GPA of 3.5 or above.

How important are grad school grades for future career opportunities?

Grad school grades can be important for future career opportunities, as they may be considered by potential employers or for applications to further education. However, other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and networking can also play a significant role in career opportunities.

How can I improve my grad school grades?

To improve grad school grades, it is important to stay organized, attend classes and participate actively, seek help when needed, and develop effective study habits. Additionally, building relationships with professors and seeking feedback on assignments can also help improve grades.