Static and current electricity

In summary, the problem involves three resistors (21, 43, and 73) connected in series with a current of 0.55 A passing through them. The equivalent resistance is 137 Ohms. To find the potential difference, Ohm's Law is used, where voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). The current in this case is 0.55 A, and the resistance is 137 Ohms, giving a potential difference of 75.35 V across all three resistors.
name_ask17

Homework Statement

Three resistors, 21, 43, and 73 , are connected in series, and a 0.55 A current passes through them. What is
(a) the equivalent resistance and
(b) the potential difference across the three resistors?

Homework Equations

i tried to use EPE/q by putting the equivalent resistors/1.6E-6 charge. i don't think this is right though :/

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a as 137 and that is correct but i can't seem to get part b.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want Ohm's Law. Look it up!

v=IR, but how does that help me find potential difference?

name_ask17 said:
v=IR, but how does that help me find potential difference?

What do the variables in the formula represent?

volts=resistance(current)
is potential difference under volts?...because i tried 11*25 but that was marked incorrect by my online homework

Potential difference is given in volts.
Current is given in Amps.
Resistance is given in Ohms.

You have the resistance and the current. Find the voltage.

what is my current?
and do i use the the equivalent capacity as resistance?

(b) each of the three resistors or across all of them together?
If it is the later: delta V = IRtotal

** the current is the same through each of them and all of them (connection in series).

the question just says the potential difference across the three resistors; so i think it might be the total. but i am still confused on which part is the current

name_ask17 said:
the question just says the potential difference across the three resistors; so i think it might be the total. but i am still confused on which part is the current

It is explicitly stated in the problem.

"I" is the current.
In your case: 0.55 A i.e. 0.55 Ampere (a unit of electric current).

Your question suggests you need to go back to your notebook/coursebook and reading that chapter again (Ohm's Law in a series circuit) and mostly looking at the examples and the implementation of the law.

good luck.

YYYEESSS!. thank YOU.
also thanks for putting up w/me thru this problem
i was making it harder than it is

1. What is the difference between static and current electricity?

Static electricity is the accumulation of electric charges on an object, while current electricity is the flow of electric charges through a conductor.

2. How is static electricity created?

Static electricity is created when there is an imbalance of positive and negative charges on the surface of an object. This can be caused by friction, contact with other objects, or separation of charges within an object.

3. What are some examples of static electricity in everyday life?

Common examples of static electricity include rubbing a balloon on your hair, walking on a carpet and then touching a doorknob, or lightning during a thunderstorm.

4. How is current electricity produced?

Current electricity is produced by a flow of electrons through a conductive material, such as a wire. This flow can be created by a battery, generator, or other power source.

5. What are the dangers of static and current electricity?

Static electricity can cause sparks, shocks, and fires if it builds up on flammable materials. Current electricity can be dangerous if it is not properly controlled, and can cause electric shocks and start fires.