How to find the tension in a guitar string?

In summary, the frequency of the B-string of a guitar is directly related to the tension in the string, which can be calculated using the formula f = \frac{1}{2l}\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}, where l is the length of the string, T is the tension, and \mu is the mass per unit length. This formula is derived from Newton's Second Law, m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=kx, where x is the displacement from equilibrium and k is the spring constant. Solving this differential equation gives the angular frequency \omega, which determines the frequency of the string's vibration.
JustinLiang

Homework Statement

The B-string of a guitar is made of steel (density 7800 kg/m^3), is 63.5 cm long, and has diameter 0.406mm. The fundamental frequency is f = 247.0 Hz. Find the string tension.

Homework Equations

F/A = YΔL/L

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know we have the A, the Young's modulus, and the length. But there is no change in length! So there should be no tension/stress. I have no clue where to start, need some hints!
Also how does frequency have anything to do with the tension? Is it just there to throw you off?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Frequency has a lot to do with tension. The length from the nut to the bridge does not change, but the tension does. You have to adjust the tension in the string using the tuning machine. Higher tension = higher pitch.

You should be supplied with the formula..

f = [itex]\frac{1}{2l}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/itex]

f = frequency
l = length
T = tension
[itex]\mu[/itex] = mass per unit length

Darth Frodo said:
You should be supplied with the formula..

f = [itex]\frac{1}{2l}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/itex]

f = frequency
l = length
T = tension
[itex]\mu[/itex] = mass per unit length

Wow, never seen that before, I think our prof assigned the wrong question. I talked to a lot of my friends and they have no clue what to do with this question either.

Thanks though, now I know :P

for simple harmonic motion, [itex]F=k x[/itex], where x is the displacement from equilibrium...

Into Newton's Second Law, [itex]m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=kx[/itex], you get a differential equation whose solution [itex]x=A\cos(\omega t+\theta_0)[/itex] tells you what
the angular frequency [itex]\omega[/itex] is (and what it depends and doesn't depend on).

Can you use "relevant equation" here?

1. How do I measure the tension in a guitar string?

To measure the tension in a guitar string, you will need a device called a tension meter or a string gauge. Simply place the device on the string, pluck the string, and the meter will display the tension in pounds or kilograms.

2. What factors affect the tension in a guitar string?

The tension in a guitar string is affected by the gauge (thickness) of the string, the material it is made of (such as steel or nylon), and the tuning of the string. The length and diameter of the string also play a role in determining its tension.

3. How does tension impact the sound of a guitar string?

The tension of a guitar string affects its pitch and tone. A higher tension string will produce a higher pitch and brighter tone, while a lower tension string will produce a lower pitch and mellower tone.

4. How can I adjust the tension in a guitar string?

To adjust the tension in a guitar string, you can use the tuning pegs at the headstock of the guitar. Turning the peg clockwise will increase the tension, while turning it counterclockwise will decrease the tension. Keep in mind that changing the tension will also affect the tuning of the string.

5. Is it necessary to regularly check the tension of guitar strings?

Yes, it is recommended to regularly check the tension of your guitar strings, especially before and after playing. Changes in temperature and humidity can affect the tension of the strings, and regular checking can help ensure they are at the optimal tension for playing and reduce the risk of breaking.