Find value for g from gradient

In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of data from an experiment where an object was dropped with an initial velocity of 0. The time in s2 was calculated from the original milliseconds and the gradient of the graph was found to be 4.9. Using the equation g = 2h/t2, the value of g was calculated to be 9.8, which is double the gradient. The question of how the gradient is used to find a value for g is raised and the connection between the two is discussed.
jendrix

Homework Statement

I've been given the task of analysing data from an experiment where an object was dropped with an initial velocity of 0.I've calculated the time in s2 from the original milisec.

Distance Time s2
0.1 0
0.2 0.040804
0.4 0.081796
0.6 0.1225
0.8 0.163216
1 0.204304
1.2 0.245025
1.4 0.286225
1.6 0.326041
1.8 0.367236
2 0.408321

Homework Equations

I was h =g x t2 /2

Which I rearranged to make g the subject g = 2h / 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated the gradient of the graph as 4.9 using (Difference y) / (Difference x)

Picking 2 points from the graph

I'm stuck at the point where it says "Show how the gradient is used to find a value for g"

Using the equation I've calculated g to be 9.8 but I'm not sure how this related to the gradient apart from being double the amount?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean? You said that you calculated the gradient. Why that isn't a "use of gradient"?

Well if I'm using the formula for g(acceleration value)

g = 2h / t2

If the gradient is found by h / t2

Does that mean I can say that g = Gradient x 2

Do you think this answers the question "Show how the gradient is used to find a value for g?"

Thanks

1. How is the value for g found from the gradient?

The value for g can be found by dividing the gradient by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This is known as the slope method and is commonly used in physics experiments.

2. What is the significance of finding the value for g from the gradient?

Finding the value for g from the gradient is important because it allows us to calculate the acceleration due to gravity, which is a fundamental constant in physics. This value is used in a variety of equations and experiments to understand the behavior of objects in free fall.

3. Can the value for g vary depending on the location?

Yes, the value for g can vary slightly depending on the location on Earth. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is affected by factors such as altitude, latitude, and the density of the Earth's crust at that location.

4. How accurate is the value for g obtained from the gradient method?

The accuracy of the value for g obtained from the gradient method depends on the precision of the measurements used to calculate the gradient. Generally, the more accurate the measurements are, the more accurate the value for g will be. However, other factors such as air resistance and experimental errors can also affect the accuracy.

5. Is finding the value for g from the gradient the only method?

No, there are other methods to determine the value for g such as using a pendulum or a free fall experiment. However, the gradient method is one of the most commonly used and is relatively easy to perform with basic equipment, making it a popular choice in physics experiments.