Solve Complex PI-Regulator Equation in Imaginary Plane

In summary, the equation has 1 solution for X if X is real and negative, but if X is imaginary it cannot be solved using normal means. The cycle is determined by the imaginary part of the augmented equation of a differential equation, and the period of the cycle is defined like this: Beta equals rad pr second for the sine wave, and the cycle is defined as 2pi/beta.
Twinflower

Homework Statement

I've set up this equation to find the integral time in a PI-regulator.

[tex] \frac{\sqrt{0.02^2 - 4 \times \frac{0.02}{X}}}{2} = \frac{\pi}{100} [/tex]

This is not solvable by normal means because the X has to be postive, thus rendering the square root negative.

I have tried by substistuting values for X, and found that if X = approx. 18,4 it will all add up.

The problem is that when solving this equation the "normal" way, it will no longer be complex when squaring the root. The answer results in approx -22.54.What do I have to do to solve this equation and get an exact answer for X in the imaginary plane?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again Twinflower! :smile:

Your equation has 1 solution for X, but that solution is negative.
I'm afraid he result that you found is not a solution since the right hand side of your equation is not imaginary.

So... what is it that you want?

Hm, when I come to think about it, the right side is indeed imaginary.
But it doesn't seem like my calculator's solver function will accept that (Casio CFX-9860GII)

If your calculator is the only problem, just negate the argument of your square root and everything will be real.

Yes, I did try that but when negating the argument the solution is not identical-but-negated.

I'll try to explain the whole problem:

Determine Ti so that the cycle for the regulation is 200 seconds.

The cycle is determined by the imaginary part of the augmented equation of a differential equation.

This is the augmentet equation:
[tex]\lambda^2 + 0.02 \lambda + \frac{0.02}{Ti} = 0[/tex]

This yields something like this:
[tex]\alpha +/- j \beta[/tex]

And the period of the cycle is defined like this:

Beta equals rad pr second for the sine wave, and the cycle is defined as 2pi/beta.
That means that if the cycle has to be 200, then beta has to be j pi/100.

Because beta is the imaginary part, and Ti is the only unknown in the standard polynomial equation for 2 unknowns, I tried to solve it the way I described in my first post.

Failing miserably ;)

I like Serena said:
If your calculator is the only problem, just negate the argument of your square root and everything will be real.

I tried this as well, but it can't be done because:

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{0.02^2 - 4 \times \frac{0.02}{18.4}}}{2} = 0.0314158[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{0.02^2 - 4 \times \frac{0.02}{-18.4}}}{2} = 0.0344522[/tex]

Looks like you did it right in your opening post, except that you forgot to include an [itex]i[/itex] on the RHS of your equation.

Perhaps you can solve this?
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{-(0.02^2 - 4 \times \frac{0.02}{X})}}{2} = \frac{\pi}{100}[/tex]

I like Serena said:
Looks like you did it right in your opening post, except that you forgot to include an [itex]i[/itex] on the RHS of your equation.

Perhaps you can solve this?
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{-(0.02^2 - 4 \times \frac{0.02}{X})}}{2} = \frac{\pi}{100}[/tex]

YES!
It worked perfecly!

X = 18.399933
(my estimate was pretty close)

Thanks, for the nth time :)
You really deserve your homework helper badge. And you should know that it's guys like you that made me donate to this forum :)

:blushing:

TBH, it's people like you that make me spend so much time on this forum. ;)

1. What is a complex PI-regulator equation?

A complex PI-regulator equation is a mathematical equation that is used in control systems to regulate a process by adjusting the input based on the error between the desired output and the actual output. It is called a complex equation because it involves complex numbers, which have both a real and imaginary component.

2. Why is it important to solve the complex PI-regulator equation in the imaginary plane?

Solving the complex PI-regulator equation in the imaginary plane allows for the use of complex numbers, which are better suited for modeling and analyzing dynamic systems. It also helps to simplify the equation and make it easier to understand and manipulate.

3. What is the process for solving the complex PI-regulator equation in the imaginary plane?

The process for solving the complex PI-regulator equation involves first converting the equation into the Laplace domain, where it can be represented using complex numbers. Then, the equation can be solved using algebraic methods, such as partial fraction decomposition, to find the transfer function and the corresponding poles and zeros.

4. What are the applications of the complex PI-regulator equation in the imaginary plane?

The complex PI-regulator equation is commonly used in control systems for various applications, such as robotics, aerospace, and industrial processes. It is also used in the design of electronic circuits, specifically in the area of feedback control systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using the complex PI-regulator equation in the imaginary plane?

While the complex PI-regulator equation is a powerful tool for control systems, it does have its limitations. It assumes linearity and time-invariance of the system, which may not always be the case. It also requires a thorough understanding of complex numbers and their properties, which can be challenging for some individuals.