Magnetising a permenant ferrite magnet

• Thread starter willyd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary, the speaker has received ferrite grade Y30H-IA un-magnetized permanent magnets and plans to magnetize them by winding copper around a section of pipe and placing the ferrite inside. They have read that the magnets should be anisotropic and to saturate the ferrite, a flux density slightly higher than 380mT is needed. The speaker plans to aim for 760mT with an electromagnet to ensure saturation is reached. They are new to working with magnets and are unsure if they are on the right track. They are also asking for a simple calculation to factor in permanence and take a flux density reading to ensure they have obtained the desired flux density. The speaker also mentions looking at Dexter magn
willyd
I have just received some ferrite grade Y30H-IA un-magnetized permanent magnets. I am looking to wind some copper around a section of pipe and place the ferrite inside in order to magnetize it. From what i have read the magnets should be anisotropic and to saturate the ferrite I will need only need a flux density slightly higher than the Br of the Y30H-IA, aprox 380mT.
I was planning on aiming for around 760mT with the electromagnet to ensure saturation is reached.

I am new to working magnets so please let me know if i am on the right track. It is important that the magnets are magnetized to obtain the maximum flux density possible for my material and geometry. Is there be a simple calculation i can do to factor in permanence and then actually take a flux density reading (with tesla meter) to ensure i have obtained the flux density I theoretically should? Please let me know if there are any factors i should be aware of.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hard ferrites saturate below the flux density you can obtain with NeoFeB magnets. I'd suggest looking at the Dexter magnetics web site. They have useful equations to build simple yoke.

There is a company, something Bell that makes calibrated flux meters.

1. How do you magnetize a permanent ferrite magnet?

Magnetizing a permanent ferrite magnet involves exposing it to a strong magnetic field. This can be done by rubbing the magnet against a strong magnet or by using an electromagnet to create a strong magnetic field around the magnet.

2. Can a permanent ferrite magnet be demagnetized?

Yes, a permanent ferrite magnet can be demagnetized if it is exposed to a strong enough magnetic field in the opposite direction of its current magnetization. This can be done by heating the magnet or using specialized equipment designed for demagnetization.

3. How long does it take to magnetize a permanent ferrite magnet?

The time it takes to magnetize a permanent ferrite magnet depends on the strength of the magnetic field and the size of the magnet. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes to magnetize a permanent ferrite magnet.

4. Can a permanent ferrite magnet lose its magnetism over time?

Yes, permanent ferrite magnets can lose their magnetism over time, especially if they are exposed to high temperatures or strong magnetic fields in the opposite direction of their magnetization. However, these magnets are known for their long-term stability and are less likely to lose their magnetism compared to other types of magnets.

5. What are some common applications of magnetized permanent ferrite magnets?

Magnetized permanent ferrite magnets are commonly used in various electronic devices, such as speakers, motors, and generators. They are also used in magnetic separators, magnetic bearings, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. In addition, these magnets are used in everyday objects like refrigerator magnets and magnetic toys.