Can Pendulum Clocks Work in Motion and Acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of acceleration and/or motion on a pendulum clock and whether it would tick at the same rate as a stationary clock in different scenarios. It also raises questions about the functionality of pendulum clocks in deep space and the use of torsion spring driven pendulums.
mangaroosh
I hope this is the right place for this kind of question - please forgive me if it isn't.

I am wondering about the expected effect of acceleration and/or motion on a pendulum clock. It pertains somewhat to relativity theory, but [to my understanding] it is equally a mechanical engineering question.

If a pendulum clock is put on a train and the train accelerates to an inertial speed, will that clock tick at the same rate as a similar clock left behind in the train station (at rest on earth)? If not, does anyone know by how much it would change?

Also, if a pendulum clock was built on a train traveling at an inertial speed, such that it didn't undergo acceleration, would it be expected to tick at the same rate as a clock in the train station?

Am I right in presuming that a pendulum clock would not work in deep space?

Also, if acceleration is the same as gravity, or at least has the same effect, would a pendulum clock accelerating in deep space start to tick, given the correct orientation?

Apologies for the glut of questions, it's just something I've been wondering about.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You seem to be basing all of your thinking on a gravity driven pendulum. Torsion spring driven pendulums work just fine when away from the earth. They have been used for years in mechanical time fuzes.

OldEngr63 said:
You seem to be basing all of your thinking on a gravity driven pendulum. Torsion spring driven pendulums work just fine when away from the earth. They have been used for years in mechanical time fuzes.

thanks OldEngr

Do not post the same thread in multiple forums.

1. Can a pendulum clock work on a moving vehicle?

Yes, a pendulum clock can work on a moving vehicle as long as it is not experiencing significant acceleration or vibration. The clock will continue to keep time as long as the pendulum is able to swing back and forth without interference.

2. How does acceleration affect the pendulum clock's accuracy?

Acceleration can cause the pendulum clock to become less accurate as it will affect the length and regularity of the pendulum's swing. The clock may run slower or faster depending on the direction and magnitude of the acceleration.

3. Can a pendulum clock work in zero gravity or outer space?

No, a pendulum clock relies on gravity to function properly. In zero gravity or outer space, the pendulum will not swing and the clock will not keep time.

4. Can a pendulum clock work on a roller coaster or other extreme rides?

It is possible for a pendulum clock to work on a roller coaster or other extreme rides, but it may not be accurate. The constant changes in acceleration and movement can affect the pendulum's swing and therefore, the accuracy of the clock.

5. How can a pendulum clock be adjusted for motion and acceleration?

To adjust a pendulum clock for motion and acceleration, the pendulum's length can be altered to compensate for the changes in gravity and acceleration. This can be done by adjusting the pendulum's bob or by using a compensation pendulum that is specifically designed for this purpose.