The Easiest Martial Art to Learn for Self-Defense

• Thread starter tumor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Art
In summary: Taking a self-defence class taught by a qualified instructor, as was mentioned, would probably be worthwhile if you do not want to commit to several years of training. This would give you some level of skill and protection in the event of an altercation. If you are looking for a shorter route to self-defence, then you might consider taking a self-defence class taught by a qualified instructor. However, for more comprehensive training, martial arts may be the best option for you. It can take many years of dedication and hard work to be good at martial arts, but it is definitely a practical way to defend yourself. It is also great for exercise and can provide a sense of camaraderie. If you are interested
tumor
I want to learn martial art, which is the easiest of them to have some ability to defend myself?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're looking for some quick lessons so you can defend yourself, then just take a self-defence class taught by a qualified instructor. Martial arts aren't easy and take years of dedication and hard work to get good at.

Thank you Check for suggestion,you are propably right.

I've been in karate (go ju ryu) for 7 years now and by no means has it been easy. After watching many karate movies, UFC, PrideFC fights I am pretty sure the top self defence style is jujitsu- it involves throws, and downfighting. I was told time after time in my karate classes that 90% of fights end up on the ground. So from my experience, i would try to find a syle of martial arts that involves at least some ground fighting.

You might take a look at Shorinji Kempo or Shaolin Kempo. Styles will very from school to school.

Taking a self-defence class taught by a qualified instructor, as was mentioned, would probably be worthwhile if you do not want to commit to several years of training.

On the other hand, a few years of training in martial arts is good in terms of exercise and some level of skill.

Time investment is something like 4 hours per week minimum, not including practice outside the classroom.

Foot sweeps and knee kicks [breaking a person's knee] are relatively easily learned and highly effective. The fancy stuff, high kicks especially, are more harmful than helpful unless you are truly an expert. Basic Judo is also good for simple throws for situations that are not life threatening. I once used a hip throw effectively to end a confrontation.

Last edited:
IMO, Ju-jitsu is the most practical for self-defence. My 1st instructor even took 20 minutes before each class to talk to us about protecting our luggage while travelling, facing dogs, talking to a gang, and dealing with drunk people. It's also what samourais used once they lost their swords on the battlefield. What cops learn can also be called ju-jitsu. One of the few where you learn hits, locks and grappling. It does well on UFC too. And it's heck of a lot of fun! I started not very long ago and some of the stuff we learn is almost saddistic! Oh, the instructor did talk to us about use of techniques as viewed by law too.

Tae-Kwondo and Karate don't include locks and grappling. Judo lacks hits, it is a developpment of the safest techniques of Ju-jitsu, allowing practitioners to have real combats. Aikido takes a very long time to be used effectively (if ever). Don't know much about the others, though I here Kempo is also quite effective.

Ju-jitso sounds cool to me,but how about just judo.
I know all of the above mentioned techniques have some judo in it, however they are hard to learn(I'm not that quickest on the brain :redface: you know ).

I'm a black belt in Tae Kwan Do and there is no way i'll be able to defend myself with the techniques I've learned. It is more of a show with memorized routines and nothing really practically. In terms of a workout, it is great, but for real life encounters I would encourage you to pursue some other form of karate. If you ever had a chance to watch Bruce Lee's biography he talks a lot about being flexible in your style and not just master one type of technique since the real world can be unpredictible. You have to constanting be changing style in order to react properly. Bruce created his own form of karate known as Gung Fu in order to address the practical karate. People like Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Chuck Norris were personally taught Gung Fu by Bruce Lee.

If all else fails you can carry around one of those high powered rifles. I'm sure no one will mess try to mess with you

The nice thing about a basic self defense class is that the best and most easily learned moves from any of these disciplines can be used to create a practical approach for amateurs who don't train daily, or even weekly. I played with this stuff and practiced for years, but even when I was at my best I would have only tried a few of the things that I had learned in any real situation.

If I were to learn some style, how many hours a week should I train? and most important,how much does it costs?

Not sure whether you're going to like reading this or not, but you don't seem to be asking good questions, so let's try it this way:

You seem to be considering studying a martial art. What is your primary goal for studying this martial art?

If you're looking to be a competitive no-holds-barred fighter, then you're probably looking at Thai Kickboxing, Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, and greco-roman wrestling as primary choices with a smattering of other stuff.

For hardcore fitness boxing and kickboxing are probably the best choices because they are generally more condiditoning oriented in training.

For spiritual stuff, you're going to have to shop around and find someone or some school that appeals to you, and you might as well forget any purely modern or competitive arts such as judo, boxing, or brazillian jiu-jitsu, while varius brands of Kung fu have strong religeous associations.

If you want trophies or black belts you should probably be looking for your favorite neighborhood belt factory. I saw a school (no idea what art it was) that had a big sign on the wall with belt colors and the legend "Our goal is the black belt" which would be a good sign if you're looking to get belts quickly. Similarly, if you're looking for fast 'advancement' you should avoid places where students tend to have ratty worn-out belts. In some schools, belts are awarded on a performance basis, so you essentially have to win fights in order to darken your belt regardless of how much you practice. Obviously martial arts that do not award belts or ranks are right out.

If you like to do lots of sparring, especially full-force sparring, stay away from boxing and kickboxing and go towards grapping-oriented arts.

You're asking about how much time you should spend practicing which is also not the best question to be asking. Perhaps you should be asking, how much should I practice if I want to achieve a particular goal in a particular amount of time. I was told by a teacher in an asian health and herbalism class that Kung Fu roughly translates to "achievement through work" obviously, the loftier your aspirations are, the more and longer you can expect to train in order to achieve them. Alternatively, you might ask, if I spend n hours per week, what kinds of results can I expect to achive.

You might have a preferred approach to fighting. Are you aggressive or defensive? Do you want to hurt the other guy, do you want to win the fight, or do you just want to get away unhurt?

Are you looking to train for realistic fighting situations?

Do you want to practice with weapons?

Do you want something that looks or sounds neat?

I think karate would be good and its pretty practical. I learned Judo till I was an orange belt (3rd rank) and I think judo is a great sport but quite impractical in a real combat situation. Even though a single throw can really damage a person. But I guess there should be martial arts schools who teach general self-defence and would go into all possible styles of fighting, including grappling, chokes etc.

What do you want to get from the art? That is the question you should ask yourself in order to determine which art you want to learn.

The second thing is what's available in your area and how far you're willing to drive. Have you done a search to see what's available yet?

I've tried several martial arts and I actually found Ju-Jitsu is the only one which I have ever and think I ever will use in any real-life situation which requires violence. but for basic fighting skills take a self defence class.

Chrono said:
What do you want to get from the art? That is the question you should ask yourself in order to determine which art you want to learn.
I just want to get out of any serious confrontation alive, and maybe kick some ass a little bit.

If you are facing mediocre opponents and just want to look cool while doing it, just look up the basic ways of getting out of the most common holds and the most common mismatches. For example, being able to escape a headlock.

tumor said:
I just want to get out of any serious confrontation alive, and maybe kick some ass a little bit.

Then you want to find the nearest self-defense instructor. A quick Google search will tell you what's nearby.

Choose a martial art only if you want spiritual conditioning and mental discipline as well. But be warned that the process with any of these would be long and demanding and it may not satisfy your primary requirement.

KingNothing said:
If you are facing mediocre opponents and just want to look cool while doing it, just look up the basic ways of getting out of the most common holds and the most common mismatches. For example, being able to escape a headlock.
Just play some WWE game or watch some . :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:
But be warned that the process with any of these would be long and demanding and it may not satisfy your primary requirement.

So... you are saying that I have to quit smoking and drinking ? :frown:

It's easier to just get a license to carry mace. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Tumor, this http://soyouwanna.com/site/syws/martialarts/martialarts.html might help (the site is also pretty funny).

I'm a black belt in Tae Kwan Do and there is no way i'll be able to defend myself with the techniques I've learned.

I too have a black belt in Tae Kwan Do. I'll admit that it isn't the most effective defensively, but it can still work.

At least now you've added some fast, powerful kicks as your skills in fights if ever needed. And a hard kick will definitely be effective if good contact is made. It certainly beats running at the guy and throwing hay makers.

Most Tae Kwon Do schools also teach stuff like one-step or quick defense, or join in with another Korean art like Hap Ki Do.

Edit: I have a question for anyone that's studying Judo or Ju Jit Su. How effective is it in a real life situation? Isn't it tough to grabble with someone and throw them when they are throwing punches at you? I saw it during the Olympics and it looks tough.

Last edited by a moderator:
my boss is a black belt in ju-jitsu, I'm curious about what a black belt is able to do.
This is not a good combination.
My Boss: "Try to grab me"
Me: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa
My Boss: "Get up. See how I did that and how painful it was? try grabbing me a different way"
Me: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa
My boss: "get up. that's why you never want to try to grab someone like that. It's not broken. Oh watch this."
Me: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaa
my boss: "all it takes is a little bit of pressure..."
Me: aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAa
my boss: "to cause excruciating pain. get up."

Ivan Seeking said:

Yeah ! I guess so :frown:

Dagenais said:
Edit: I have a question for anyone that's studying Judo or Ju Jit Su. How effective is it in a real life situation? Isn't it tough to grabble with someone and throw them when they are throwing punches at you? I saw it during the Olympics and it looks tough.
It depends on a few things but provided you get a good sensai, ect. like I did I think you will find it quite usefull as it does teach blocks against punches, kicks, and occasionally against knives and such.

Ivan Seeking said:

You actually need a license for that? Are you serious? They sell it at the martial arts stores. Of course a nice kick in the groin is cheaper. :biggrin:

Chrono said:
You actually need a license for that? Are you serious? They sell it at the martial arts stores. Of course a nice kick in the groin is cheaper. :biggrin:
nice kick in the groin? NICE kick in the groin? the only nice kick in the groin is NO kick in the groin.

tribdog said:
nice kick in the groin? NICE kick in the groin? the only nice kick in the groin is NO kick in the groin.

Well, you won't get one if you don't harass anyone.

unless ur delivering rather than receiving :/

How about Krav Maga?

It's the official self defense and fight system of the Israeli Defense Forces. My daughters Tae Kwon Do instructors (both 6th Dan Black Belts) became certified to instruct this type of system recently.

BTW My daughter is only 13yo but I wouldn't want to mess with her.

Regards

If you want further help I suggest you got to http://www.budoseek.net/vbulletin/index.php [Broken]. They got guys there that have been doing martial arts for at least 20 years. They can help you.

Dagenais said:

Speaking from personal experience (for better or worse), it's not nearly as hard as it may seem. Of course, pulling off one of those really impressive looking competition throws that scores you an immediate win in the Olympics is probably not common, but one of the more ordinary looking throws or takedowns will work quite well for putting someone on the ground. The important things to remember are your defensive skills - blocking, parrying, footwork, controlling the distance, and your grips/tie ups - and how to best unbalance your opponent. Of course, one can evade and parry until your striking opponent automatically falls into a clinch position - after all, even skilled strikers like boxers and kickboxers will tie up on occasion in a match.

I've heard good and bad things about Krav Maga, which I'm figuring is a sign which suggests it's one of those things where it's really dependent on the instructor. So if the instructor is good, I'm sure that his or her instruction in the style is good.

Personally, I tend to think that perhaps the most important thing to remember that one needs to train realistically with resisting opponents on a regular basis. The grappling arts (judo, Brazilian jiujitsu, etc.) are excellent examples, as are boxing and kickboxing, not to mention other arts like kyokushinkai karate and the Filipino martial arts which incorporate sparring with weapons.

that's what I need. weapons that are really sharp and that I can spin around and throw.

tumor said:
Ju-jitso sounds cool to me,but how about just judo.
I know all of the above mentioned techniques have some judo in it, however they are hard to learn(I'm not that quickest on the brain :redface: you know ).

A ju-jitsu master called Kano created Judo by eliminating the techniques that were dangerous, so Judo is more of a civilized, crafted sport with rules, although someone who has practiced awhile will feel confident on the streets. All of it's techniques can basically be divided in three categories : throws, locks and chokes. Examples of what I call "dangerous techniques" are hits, knee locks, shoulder locks, and anything that risks permanent injury. Not all martial arts have judo in it (Karate and Tae-Kwon-Do have no common techniques with Judo at all).

On the other hand, ju-jitsu's only rule is efficiency (except for competitions of course). Each school has its preferred set of techniques, which will include ways to either avoid, control, or bring down an attacker as efficiently as possible using any movement a human body can do. Anything that brings the other down is allowed (this includes many classical no-no's).

Even though any martial art takes time to learn, it should also be fun to do. Doesn't cost more than any other hobby (20-100$/month?). One session (1h30) a week at first, then 2 or more as you get to higher levels. Hand-to-hand has the advantage that you may not have time to pull out a sword or a machine gun from your pocket when suddenly attacked. It should also help speed up the mind. Nothing to lose by trying, most clubs will let you watch, or maybe tryout a first session free of charge.

<h2>1. What is the easiest martial art to learn for self-defense?</h2><p>The easiest martial art to learn for self-defense is subjective and can vary depending on an individual's physical abilities, learning style, and personal preferences. Some popular options include Krav Maga, Wing Chun, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.</p><h2>2. How long does it take to learn the easiest martial art for self-defense?</h2><p>The time it takes to learn a martial art for self-defense can vary greatly depending on the individual's dedication, frequency of training, and natural abilities. Generally, it can take several months to a few years to become proficient in a martial art for self-defense.</p><h2>3. Is the easiest martial art for self-defense effective in real-life situations?</h2><p>Yes, the easiest martial art for self-defense can be effective in real-life situations if learned and practiced correctly. However, it is important to note that no martial art can guarantee complete protection in all situations, and it is always best to avoid physical altercations whenever possible.</p><h2>4. Can anyone learn the easiest martial art for self-defense?</h2><p>Yes, anyone can learn the easiest martial art for self-defense regardless of age, gender, or physical abilities. However, it is important to consult with a doctor before starting any new physical activity, and to choose a martial art that is suitable for your individual needs and limitations.</p><h2>5. Are there any risks associated with learning the easiest martial art for self-defense?</h2><p>As with any physical activity, there is always a risk of injury when learning a martial art for self-defense. It is important to choose a reputable instructor and to listen to your body to avoid overexertion. Additionally, it is important to follow proper safety protocols and to always train with a partner.</p>

1. What is the easiest martial art to learn for self-defense?

The easiest martial art to learn for self-defense is subjective and can vary depending on an individual's physical abilities, learning style, and personal preferences. Some popular options include Krav Maga, Wing Chun, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

2. How long does it take to learn the easiest martial art for self-defense?

The time it takes to learn a martial art for self-defense can vary greatly depending on the individual's dedication, frequency of training, and natural abilities. Generally, it can take several months to a few years to become proficient in a martial art for self-defense.

3. Is the easiest martial art for self-defense effective in real-life situations?

Yes, the easiest martial art for self-defense can be effective in real-life situations if learned and practiced correctly. However, it is important to note that no martial art can guarantee complete protection in all situations, and it is always best to avoid physical altercations whenever possible.

4. Can anyone learn the easiest martial art for self-defense?

Yes, anyone can learn the easiest martial art for self-defense regardless of age, gender, or physical abilities. However, it is important to consult with a doctor before starting any new physical activity, and to choose a martial art that is suitable for your individual needs and limitations.

5. Are there any risks associated with learning the easiest martial art for self-defense?

As with any physical activity, there is always a risk of injury when learning a martial art for self-defense. It is important to choose a reputable instructor and to listen to your body to avoid overexertion. Additionally, it is important to follow proper safety protocols and to always train with a partner.