What is wrong with my Antimony Trichloride ?

• Thread starter Panthera Leo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a person's confusion over the state of Antimony Trichloride they purchased, as it was mostly liquid with some solid chunks. They speculate that the manufacturer may have suspended the SbCl3 in a liquid to prevent reactions with moisture. The label on the bottle states it is a lab grade and the NOAA website mentions it can be shipped as a solid or liquid solution. The person is seeking more information about the liquid solution they are dealing with and thanks in advance for any help.
Panthera Leo
What is wrong with my Antimony Trichloride ?

Hi,

I purchased a 50gm bottle of antimony trichloride and when opened, I was expecting a colorless solid but to my surprise it was mostly liquid (very slightly hazy but transparent) with few solid chunks at the bottom... I assumed the manufacturer has suspended the SbCl3 in some sort of liquid to avoid any reaction with moisture etc. but I have no idea... just a naive guess. The bottle is labeled Lab Grade Antimony TriChloride (SbCl3)

http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/2504 says "Antimony trichloride is a colorless crystalline solid. It is shipped as a solid or liquid solution"

What is this liquid solution I am dealing with?!

I will highly appreciate any information.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org

Who did you get the SbCl3 from?

1. What is Antimony Trichloride?

Antimony Trichloride is a chemical compound with the formula SbCl3. It is a colorless to pale yellow liquid that is highly toxic and corrosive.

2. What are the uses of Antimony Trichloride?

Antimony Trichloride is primarily used as a catalyst in the production of various chemicals, such as plastics, rubber, and pharmaceuticals. It is also used in the production of flame retardants, dyes, and pigments.

3. What are the symptoms of exposure to Antimony Trichloride?

Symptoms of exposure to Antimony Trichloride include irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. Ingestion or inhalation of large amounts can lead to more serious health effects, such as liver and kidney damage.

4. How can I protect myself from exposure to Antimony Trichloride?

To protect yourself from exposure to Antimony Trichloride, it is important to handle it with caution and wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves, goggles, and a respirator. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and to avoid ingestion or inhalation of the chemical.

5. What should I do if I suspect I have been exposed to Antimony Trichloride?

If you suspect you have been exposed to Antimony Trichloride, seek medical attention immediately. It is important to remove any contaminated clothing and wash any affected areas with soap and water. Do not induce vomiting if ingested and seek professional medical help.