Chemical, Software or Electrical Engineering?

In summary: I don't know if I want to do that. I also don't want to be a software engineer because I think that's really boring. I want to make stuff. I also want to work on things that affect people's lives.Electrical engineering is definitely the field for me! I think it's really cool that you can make things that affect people's lives and I really enjoy designing things. I also think that chemical engineering is a really interesting field and I like the idea of working with molecules. I don't know if I want to be a software engineer though. I don't know if I want to be stuck in a desk all day. I want to be able
Nspyred
Hi.
This is to all the practicing EEs out there.
What are some of the challenges of electrical engineering work? Is it varied? What is your role (esp. wrt to EE technologists/technicians)?

Preferably, answers will come from various specialties and roles (please state them).
For example: power systems, communication, electronics, control, electromagnetics/RF, photonics...

I think that I am missing something by reading Wikipedia, US BLS, and university dept websites.

Thanks in advance.

PS Don't worry if you are a different kind of engineer. I will probably post a similar question for you later.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there to all,

In a year or so, I hope to be receiving my undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering. I am highly interested in the medical field, as I have worked two jobs at my local hospital for quite some time and I work as an undergraduate researcher in a Neurolab on campus. I would really like to go to graduate school right after I receive my undergraduate degree in the future. I am wondering whether I should go into a Master's program focused in Biomedical/Bioengineering or stick with a Master's program in Electrical Engineering.

If you respond to this post, please explain your reasoning. I greatly appreciate your help in this process,

~ Satchmo05

Hey everyone, this is my first post on here. I'm in junior college right now, getting ready to send out applications for transferring, but I'm still undecided on which field to go for. I've read a lot of sites online, talked to a couple of people, and gone back and forth on which way to go, but I'm still undecided. I have pros and cons about each one so I'll explain my problems with each one and maybe I can get some advice.

Mechanical - Not very mechanically inclined, didn't grow up with erector sets and fixing cars. Also since there are so many different industries for mechanical, feels overwhelming where to go into

Electrical - Worried about international outsourcing (I'm in the US, just to clarify) taking over and diminishing job opportunities here. Circuits class I took was alright, too much of a beginner class and didn't really get to see what can be done

Civil - Relocation. I don't mind a commute, but I've read a lot about civil's who go from project to project all over the country and internationally. Having to travel once in awhile wouldn't be bad, but having to move all of the time isn't something I'd like to deal with

I appreciate any help I can get. I've taken all of the physics, and one field didn't pull me towards it any more than the other. Thanks in advance.

I want to study Electrical Engineering at university and want to do a bit of work experience before I would have to be making any definite choices about doing this topic.

I have contacted 2 companies who have offered me work experience. The first is the company my school gave me the details for and with this one I would be working for a larger company that will be known by the university. However this placement would be unpaid and wouldn't have a lot of hands on experience.

The second is owned by a family friend and is a decent sized company which makes control panels for motors. He has said that he would be able to organise work experience that would be a bit more hands on and he will write a letter to the school confirming that he will do my work experience.

The problem is do I go for the more well known place with less hands on work or try and get some proper experience?

Thanks
AL

Hey guys,

I am studying Electrical engineering and nanotechnology right now in my 3rd year, I'm really interested in things like graphene technology, nanoshells, carbon nanotubes. I am not the brightest student my gpa ranges from 60%-70%. I don't have any experience related to the engineering field, so I'm very scared that I won't be able to find a job after i graduate that's related to my area of studies. Is there any guidance you guys can give me that will help me ease myself into the workforce as soon as a I graduate? I know that getting experience is the key, but I don't see how I can get experience when every employer is looking for students with experience.

I'm currently at the end of my first year of engineering and I have to pick a specialization in the next two weeks. I've been thinking hard, almost constantly about which one I want to choose but I still can't decide between chemical, software or electrical engineering.

I like something in every field of engineering (not just in the ones listed above) but there's also things I dislike.

In high school, I really liked chemistry, and I realize that there's actually not much chemistry (or so I've heard) in chemical engineering. With that said, I still like what chemical engineering entails. My school offers a bio-medical specialization along with the degree so I was maybe thinking of taking that and landing a job in a pharmaceutical company. There are also a lot of oil and gas companies where I live (Calgary) so even if I didn't land one there I wouldn't mind being in the oil and gas sector. My question about this is, is there much difference in pay, working conditions or anything else I should be aware about( I know it's not too important but it would be nice to know before making a decisions) ?

In this first semester, I also took my first programming course ever and I instantly fell in love with it. I know software engineering is much more than just programming but other than that I have no idea what a software engineer does. If someone could give me a brief overview, that would be great.

As for electrical engineering, it has a lot of ups and downs for me. I like the idea of designing circuits / hardware and the programming part of it is also intriguing. However, I wasn't very passionate about my first year electrical circuits course (mostly just circuit analysis) and the physics course was 'ok', I'm not sure if it was how it was presented or what. I found it interesting, just not intriguing enough that I would want to find out more.

If it's useful, I would also pursue a masters degree in whichever of the subjects above I decide to choose if it helps me get the job that I want.

If anyone could give me some advice that would be great! Thanks!

hi, I am a studed in EE here in my country, I am 29, first year, i had been saving money for college after working hard for 6 yrs in a hard labor, and my personal passion and interest was physics and a bit of math. I am aspiring to have a degree and get out of this hard life I am been doing for so long.

i decided to take EE because it has a broad range of fields to work for.

i guess I am a bit old (29), but education has no age limit.. i believe still in the very end of our lives we are still learning new things.

Likes Ams
Hey all I'm a student in ontario, Canada looking for a summer internship for this upcoming summer (June - August)

I have 4+ years of professional work experience (marketing, business development, public relations and IT), a bachelors degree in media technology but fell in love with electrical engineering naturally and went to college to pursue a 2 year technology diploma.

As such, I know experience is key and i would love to get a summer internship that will hopefully transition to something stable afterwards. Any suggestions? Tips? Websites or resources that I could use? I honestly am up to traveling anywhere in Canada, and even the usa if the opportunity arises. I really have no qualms so long as I can get in with an employer that will give me a chance to prove to them that I'm a quick learner and a hard worker.

FYI my college does offer a 12 month long co-op program but with my experiences and being a bit older I am hoping that I can find a small stint on my own and go full time when i graduate next year. A risk yes...but I'm sure I can find something!

Thanks everyone!

Hey guys,

I am graduating from my BASc in electrical engineering next term and I have applied for master's. I have offered admission by two instructors, one in telecommunications and with focus on 5g channel sounders and another in VLSI systems and nano fabrication of silicon wafers.

My major in my BASc was focused on power but for master's I haven't been offered an MASc in power systems as there aren't many instructors at my university(UBC) in that field. I have been offered to do MEng in power, but I'm thinking MASc is probably a better choice.

What do you all think of the career opportunities in power systems vs. communications? I have heard communications is very limited in terms of career opportunities from some master's students in power.

Both are very hands-on and I have interest in both.

Disclaimer: I am still a high school senior!As the title reads, I have been accepted to a private university studying electrical engineering and physics. Awesome! (No really. I honestly believed I wasn't going to be able to attend college.) The question I have is about the concentration of my program. They offer two areas. Scientific computing and Laboratory Instrumentation. My first choice is SC because I was a CSEE (Computer Science and Electrical Engineering) and decided to switch for the reason that I believed that a CS major could do the same.

Questions I have about choosing Scientific Computing:

1) What is the entry level degree requirement needed to work in this area?

2) Will I need a PhD? If so, Engineering or Physics?

3) What does this field entail?

4) Is this a research based career or industry based?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Aichuk

1. What is the difference between chemical, software, and electrical engineering?

Chemical engineering involves the design, development, and operation of processes that transform raw materials into useful products. Software engineering involves the use of computer science principles to design, develop, and maintain software systems. Electrical engineering involves the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism to create devices and systems.

2. What skills are necessary for a career in chemical, software, or electrical engineering?

For chemical engineering, strong math, science, and problem-solving skills are essential. For software engineering, proficiency in programming languages, attention to detail, and good communication skills are important. For electrical engineering, a strong understanding of math and physics, as well as an aptitude for problem-solving and critical thinking, are necessary.

3. What industries can chemical, software, or electrical engineers work in?

Chemical engineers can work in a variety of fields, including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, energy, and environmental engineering. Software engineers can work in industries such as technology, healthcare, finance, and entertainment. Electrical engineers can work in industries such as telecommunications, transportation, aerospace, and renewable energy.

4. What career opportunities are available for chemical, software, or electrical engineers?

Chemical engineers can pursue careers as process engineers, research and development scientists, quality control engineers, or project managers. Software engineers can become software developers, web developers, data scientists, or systems analysts. Electrical engineers can work as electrical designers, power systems engineers, control systems engineers, or technical sales engineers.

5. How does the future look for chemical, software, or electrical engineering?

The future for all three fields looks promising, with continued advancements in technology and the need for sustainable and efficient processes driving demand. Chemical engineers will play a crucial role in developing new energy sources and improving environmental sustainability. Software engineers will continue to be in high demand as technology continues to advance and evolve. Electrical engineers will be essential in developing and implementing new technologies such as renewable energy and smart grids.