Aligning a matrix with its eigen vectors and other questions?

In summary, the conversation discussed the representation of a linear transformation as a matrix using a specific ordered basis and how to transform a matrix to have diagonal elements of 1 and a trace of 1. The individual was also able to find the solution to their problem by dividing the transformed matrix by its trace.
Dr Bwts
Hi,

I have a square symmetrical matrix A (ugly I know)

321.1115, -57.5311, -33.9206
-57.5311, 296.7836, 10.8958
-33.9206, 10.8958, 382.1050

which has the eigen values,

Am I right in saying that A when aligned with its eigen vectors it is,

248.8034, 0, 0
0, 341.6551, 0
0, 0, 409.5415

?

I would also like to transform the matrix so that,

A11+A22+A33 = 1

Thanks for any help, I feel like I should know this but have been running around in circles for the past 2 hours.

Physics news on Phys.org
"aligned with its eigenvectors" is not standard terminology, but I think what you mean is correct. Given any linear transformation, T, from a vector space of dimension n to itself, we can always represent the transformation as a vector space by using a specific ordered basis for the vector space. The idea is that we apply T to each of the basis vectors in turn, writing the result as a linear combination of the basis vectors. For example, if we have a three dimensional vector space with ordered basis [itex]\{v_1, v_2, v_3\}[/itex] then the vector [itex]x_1v_2+ x_2v_2+ x_3v_3[/itex] would be represented by the array
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
In particular, [itex]v_1= 1v_1+ 0v_2+ 0v_3[/itex] itself is represented by
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

So if [itex]T(v_1)= a_1v_1+ a_2v_2_+ a_3v_3[/itex] we can write
[tex]\begin{a_1 & * & * \\ a_2 & * & * \\ a_3 & * & * \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a_1 \\ a_2\\ a_3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
where the "*" in the second and third columns can be anything.

That is, the result result of T applied to basis vector [itex]v_i[/itex] gives the ith column of the matrix representation. In particular, if the basis vectors are eigenvalues of T, then [itex]Tv_1= \lamba_1 v_1+ 0 v_2+ 0v_3[/itex], [itex]Tv_2= 0v_1+ \lambda_2v_2+ 0v_3[/itex], and [itex]Tv_3= 0v_1+ 0v_2+ \lambda_3v_3[/itex] so the matrix representation, in that basis, is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}\lambda_2 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \lambda_2 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & \lambda_3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

To reduce those diagonal elements to 1 is to divide each eigenvector by the corresponding eigenvalue. If [itex]v_1[/itex] is an eigenvector of T with eigenvalue [itex]\lambda_1[/itex] then
[tex]T\frac{v_1}{\lambda_1}= \frac{1}{\lambda_1}Tv_1= \frac{1}{\lambda_1}\lambda_1 v_1= v_1[/tex]
so representing T as as matrix by using basis vectors [itex]v_1/\lambda_1[/itex], [itex]v_2/\lambda_2[/itex], and [itex]v_3/\lambda_3[/itex] will give the identity matrix.

Thanks for the reply.

Once the matrix (A) has been transformed as above how can I scale it such that,

trace(A)=1

?

Last edited:
OK panic over I just divide the aligned matrix by its trace.

Thanks for your time.

Hello,

You are correct in saying that when a matrix is aligned with its eigen vectors, it will take the form of a diagonal matrix with the eigen values along the main diagonal. This is because the eigen vectors are the directions along which the matrix has the greatest variability and thus, aligning the matrix with these vectors will simplify its representation.

To transform the matrix so that A11+A22+A33 = 1, you can use a method called normalization. This involves dividing each element in the matrix by the sum of all the elements in the matrix. This will result in a matrix where the sum of all the elements is equal to 1. However, this will also change the values of the matrix, so it is important to consider the implications of this transformation on your data.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research.

1. What is the purpose of aligning a matrix with its eigen vectors?

Aligning a matrix with its eigen vectors is a technique used in linear algebra to simplify calculations and make it easier to analyze the behavior of a matrix. It involves finding a new coordinate system that is aligned with the eigen vectors of the matrix, making it easier to understand and manipulate.

2. How do you align a matrix with its eigen vectors?

To align a matrix with its eigen vectors, you first need to find the eigen vectors and eigenvalues of the matrix. Then, you can use a transformation matrix to rotate the original matrix so that its columns align with the eigen vectors. This new matrix will have the same eigen vectors as the original matrix, but they will now be in the coordinate system aligned with the eigen vectors.

3. Can a matrix have more than one set of eigen vectors?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple sets of eigen vectors. This can happen when the eigen values are repeated or when the matrix is not diagonalizable. In these cases, there may be more than one transformation matrix that can align the matrix with its eigen vectors.

4. How are eigen vectors and eigen values related?

Eigen vectors and eigen values are closely related, as eigen vectors are defined as the vectors that do not change direction when multiplied by the matrix, and eigen values are the corresponding scalars that represent the scaling factor of the eigen vectors. In other words, the eigen values determine the magnitude of the eigen vectors.

5. Can a matrix have complex eigen vectors and eigen values?

Yes, a matrix can have complex eigen vectors and eigen values. This usually happens when the matrix has complex entries or when the eigen values are not real numbers. In these cases, the eigen vectors may also be complex, but the concept of aligning the matrix with its eigen vectors still applies.