Calculate Motion Parameters: Environmental vs. Drag Force

In summary, to create a v(t) diagram for an object influenced by environmental force F1 and drag force F2, calculate the accelerations for each force, determine the limit velocity, and use equations for acceleration vs. distance and speed calculation to plot the diagram.
Student1989

Homework Statement

An object is influenced by 2 forces: environmental force F1 = 42 tons and a hydrodynamic drag factor F2 = 200 kN. These forces are directed against each other (one attempting to 'weaken' the other one). The corresponding mass of object is 10,112 tonnes. I am trying to create a speed-time diagram - v(t) - showing the effect of the two forces on the movement of the object. Furthermore, I need to calculate the speed of the object upon reaching a distance of x metres (where x - any chosen distance).

Homework Equations

Limit velocity:
Vlim = √(V1/V2)

speed calculation:
m ⋅ ΔV = F ⋅ t
ΔV = (F1 ⋅ t) / m

acceleration vs. distance:
s = (a ⋅ t2)/2

others:
?

The Attempt at a Solution

for the environmental force (F1):
F1 = 42 [t] = 42 [t] ⋅ 9.81 [kg⋅m/s²] = 412.02 kN
Δ V1 = (412.02 [kN] ⋅ t {time}) / 10112 t {mass of object} ≈ 0.041 ⋅ t [m/s]

for the drag force (F2):
F2 = 200 kN
Δ V2 = (200 [kN] ⋅ t {time}) / 10112 t {mass of object} ≈ 0.020 ⋅ t [m/s]I obtained two values of acceleration and velocity resulting from the two forces F1 and F2 separately. Since they have opposite directions, I tried to calculate as following:

t ⋅ (0.041-0.020)

I figured that it's wrong, because the velocity cannot go towards infinity (because of the drag force acting), rising only to the limit velocity:

Vlim = √(V1/V2) = √(0.041/0.020) ≈ 1,432 [m/s]. What mistake do I make in the calculation?A helpful tool would be a ready v(t) diagram under this link:

h ttp://img401.imageshack. us/img401/6659/wykresm.jpg

It is created for the given variables. I am trying to figure out "how did they do that", i.e. what is the procedure involved, in order to create my own diagram for another object with different mass and the values of acting forces.

Physics news on Phys.org
The procedure for creating the v(t) diagram is as follows:1. Calculate the acceleration due to the environmental force (F1) and the drag force (F2):For the environmental force (F1):F1 = 42 [t] = 42 [t] ⋅ 9.81 [kg⋅m/s²] = 412.02 kNa1 = (412.02 [kN] ⋅ t {time}) / 10112 t {mass of object} ≈ 0.041 [m/s²]For the drag force (F2):F2 = 200 kNa2 = (200 [kN] ⋅ t {time}) / 10112 t {mass of object} ≈ 0.020 [m/s²]2. Calculate the limit velocity (Vlim) based on the two accelerations:Vlim = √(a1/a2) = √(0.041/0.020) ≈ 1,432 [m/s]3. Use the equations for acceleration vs. distance (s = (a ⋅ t2)/2) and speed calculation (ΔV = (F1 ⋅ t) / m) to plot the v(t) diagram:s = (0.041 ⋅ t2) / 2 v = 0.041 ⋅ t4. Calculate the speed of the object upon reaching a given distance (x metres):v = (x/t) + 0.041 ⋅ twhere t is the time it takes for the object to reach the distance x. This method can be used to create any v(t) diagram for an object influenced by two forces.

What is environmental force and drag force?

Environmental force is a force that is caused by the surrounding environment, such as gravity or air resistance. Drag force is a specific type of environmental force that is caused by air resistance and acts in the opposite direction of motion.

How are environmental force and drag force calculated?

Environmental force can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration. Drag force can be calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account factors such as the object's velocity, frontal area, and air density.

What are the main differences between environmental force and drag force?

The main difference between environmental force and drag force is that environmental force can be caused by a variety of factors, while drag force specifically refers to the force of air resistance on an object moving through a fluid.

How do environmental force and drag force affect an object's motion?

Environmental force and drag force can both affect an object's motion by either increasing or decreasing its velocity. Environmental force can also change the direction of an object's motion, while drag force always acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion.

Can environmental force and drag force be ignored in calculations?

No, environmental force and drag force should not be ignored in calculations as they can significantly affect an object's motion and can even cause an object to change its direction or come to a stop.