Calculate Room Temp with Radiator at 0 C Outside Temp

In summary, a room needs 2000W for an outside temperature of -20 C. A radiator with this capacity is installed and receives water at 90 C, which exits at 70 C. However, due to an error, only 40% of the intended water amount flows through the radiator. The water temperature delivered to the radiator is adjusted according to the outside temperature, and at 0 C, it is 60.5 C. With a flow rate of 0.38 Gpm, the leaving water temperature would be 103 F, resulting in a temperature difference of 91 F. This may cause issues, but it is unclear if the system is calibrated to adjust for reduced Delta T. Therefore, the room temperature
TSN79
A room has a need for 2000W for an outside temp of -20 C. A radiator with this capacity is installed and receives water at 90 C, which exits at 70 C. But because of some error only 40% of the intended water amount flows through the radiator. The water temp delivered to the radiator is adjustet according to the outside temp, and is 60,5 C when outside temp is 0 C. What will the temp in the room be at an outside temp of 0 C ?

What I don't get is how to incorporate the fact that the water delivered to the radiator is adjustet according to the outside temp. How do I put this into my calculations?

Engineering news on Phys.org
This question is just bad. It doesn't provide anywhere near enough data and it's poorly framed.

Agreed. I think you will need at least a flow rate of the water, not just 40% of original flow rate. Given that you have a flow rate, you can find heat flow based on
Q(dot) = m(dot)Cp(T2-T1)
If the change in temperature is being changed constantly according to the outside temp, I assume some smart guy here could set up an integral or something...I'm not sure where to start based on the information given though.

I work in English units and I am not sure of the conversions, but here is a start:

Gpm = btuh/((EWT - LWT) * Specific Heat of Water * 60 * 8.33)

6800 btuh /((194-158) * 1 * 60 * 8.33) = .38 Gpm

40% of that would be about .15 Gpm

This flow rate will lower the leaving water temp to 103 deg F giving a 91 deg F Temp Difference (EWT-LWT).

The water temp entering when the outside air is 0 deg C is 141 Deg F - 91 deg F = 50 Deg F. Which is crap. Better get that flow restriction cleared or you'll crack your boiler.

Or are we to assume that the water system has been calibrated to give us the same loss due to reduced Delta T as the room will lose? Thus reducing the temperature difference. This would be common for an automatic outdoor reset system, but I don't think we have suffiecient data to determine the room temperature other than to say it should be the same as the design condition. The water temp changes not the room temp.

1. How does a radiator affect room temperature?

A radiator heats up the air around it, causing the overall temperature in the room to increase. This is because the hot air rises and circulates throughout the room, creating a warmer environment.

2. What factors affect the calculation of room temperature with a radiator at 0 degrees Celsius outside?

The size and type of radiator, the insulation of the room, and the outdoor temperature are all factors that can affect the calculation of room temperature. Other factors such as the placement of furniture and windows can also impact the overall temperature in the room.

3. Can the room temperature be accurately calculated with a radiator at 0 degrees Celsius outside?

While a radiator can significantly influence the room temperature, it is not the only factor. Without proper insulation and other external factors, the calculated room temperature may not accurately reflect the actual temperature in the room.

4. How can I adjust the room temperature with a radiator at 0 degrees Celsius outside?

To adjust the room temperature, you can either adjust the settings on your radiator or make changes to the room's insulation. For example, opening a window or adding thick curtains can impact the overall temperature in the room.

5. What is the ideal room temperature when using a radiator at 0 degrees Celsius outside?

The ideal room temperature can vary depending on personal preference, but generally, a temperature between 18-21 degrees Celsius (64-70 degrees Fahrenheit) is considered comfortable for most people.