Lottery Probability: Find 7 Numbers Out of 20

In summary, we are discussing the probability of finding 7 numbers in a lottery game where 80 numbers are selected and the player can choose 7 out of the 20 numbers. There are various formulas proposed, but none of them are correct. After further discussion, it is determined that the correct formula is C(73,13)/C(80,20). This can be generalized for any number n of chosen numbers, where the probability is C(n,k)C(80-n,20-k)/C(80,20), with k being the number of matching numbers.
jk22
I watch lastly a lottery game : there are 80 numbers, from them 20 are selected, and you can choose for example to find 7 numbers out of the 20.

I'm looking for the probability to find 7 numbers, is it simply C(80,7)/C(80,20) or is it 20!/13!/C(80,20) or C(80,13)/C(80,20) ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can tell that none of those are right. Consider the extreme case where the game show picked 80 (instead of 20) out of 80 . Then C(80,80)=1, so all those formulas would give numbers much larger than 1. They must all be wrong. At the moment, I'm not sure what the correct answer is. What about C(20,7) / C(80,7)? That is the ratio of all your possible picks from the special 20 over all your possible picks from the original 80.

Last edited:
I thought a bit about the following : I fix 7 numbers over 80, there remains 13 numbers to choose freely among 73, these are the favorable cases, whereas all the cases are 20 numbers chosen between 80, hence : C(73,13)/C(80,20) ?

jk22 said:
I thought a bit about the following : I fix 7 numbers over 80, there remains 13 numbers to choose freely among 73, these are the favorable cases, whereas all the cases are 20 numbers chosen between 80, hence : C(73,13)/C(80,20) ?

My equation above, C(20,7)/C(80,7) gives exactly the same answer as yours (C(73,13)/C(80,20) = 2.4402556E-5). I'm not sure I follow your reasoning, but since we came at it from two different logic directions, I bet they are both right. I tried to see how they could be identical, but it got too messy for me.

Your expressions are the same. The game is Keno. More generally than your case, you choose n numbers from 80 where n is less than or equal to 20. 20 numbers are then drawn and you win if you match k of them where k is less than or equal to n. There are C(80,20) total combinations of 20 drawn from 80. You are holding n numbers. There are C(n,k) combinations of k from n. The rest of the numbers drawn do not match yours, that is 20-k drawn from the remaining 80-n. There are C(80-n,20-k) ways to do that. So the probability of matching k of your n numbers is C(n,k)C(80-n,20-k)/C(80,20). In the special case where you match all of your n numbers, k=n and P=C(80-n,20-n)/C(80,20). If n=7 then P=C(73,13)/C(80,20).

Likes 1 person

1. What is the probability of winning the lottery by choosing 7 numbers out of 20?

The probability of winning the lottery by choosing 7 numbers out of 20 is calculated by dividing the total number of possible combinations (20 choose 7) by the total number of possible outcomes (20 choose 7) raised to the power of the number of tickets purchased. This can be further simplified to 1 in 352,716.

2. How many possible combinations are there when choosing 7 numbers out of 20?

There are 20 choose 7 possible combinations when choosing 7 numbers out of 20, which is equal to 775,587,60.

3. What is the probability of matching all 7 numbers in the correct order?

The probability of matching all 7 numbers in the correct order is extremely low, as it would require choosing the correct 7 numbers out of 20 and having them appear in the exact order they were chosen. This probability is calculated by dividing 1 by the total number of possible combinations, which is 1 in 775,587,60.

4. Can the probability of winning be increased by purchasing more lottery tickets?

Yes, the probability of winning can be increased by purchasing more lottery tickets. However, it is important to note that each ticket is a separate event and the overall probability of winning is still quite low.

5. Are there any strategies for increasing the chances of winning the lottery?

There is no proven strategy for increasing the chances of winning the lottery. The numbers are drawn randomly and every combination has an equal chance of being chosen. It is important to remember that the lottery is a game of chance and the outcome is unpredictable.