Email to professors for research position

In summary: Next you to bring something to the table in the form of some skill you may have that could help their research and then you can write them a letter or go visit the department.The best way to start this process is to talk with them about going to the school as a student not as someone who wants to jump right into research. Line up some interviews with profs that are doing interesting research and ask them about it then do some research on the problem they are trying to solve and keep in contact with them asking questions about what you've read and thought about. Then you can begin to ask about working with them on the research.As an example, if some prof is doing research in galaxy formation.
playoff
Hello PF!

I wish to do research as an undergrad, so I am thinking of sending emails to professors to ask for any available positions.

What would be the most professional way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to find out what profs are doing what research by contacting the physics department and to then do some background research on what they are doing in more detail.

Next you to bring something to the table in the form of some skill you may have that could help their research and then you can write them a letter or go visit the department.

The best way to start this process is to talk with them about going to the school as a student not as someone who wants to jump right into research.

Line up some interviews with profs that are doing interesting research and ask them about it then do some research on the problem they are trying to solve and keep in contact with them asking questions about what you've read and thought about. Then you can begin to ask about working with them on the research.

As an example, if some prof is doing research in galaxy formation. You might read about the issues in the journals or ask the prof about he/she recommends you read to learn more. Then you could ask more intelligent questions and you might find he/she is doing computer simulations. From there you could offer your help in doing the programming or in analyzing the data...

I wouldn't sweat too much over the details. A polite professional email that introduces you, explains what level you're at (second year, third year undergraduate, etc.) and states that you're looking for opportunities to get involved in research is generally sufficient.

Don't expect everyone you email to get back to you.

One of the best ways to actually find out about these things is simply to start talking with your professors. Ask if they know of anyone who is looking for help. Other resouces to try are senior undergraduates who currently have research positions and graduate students. They'll let you know who are good people to talk to.

It helps to have some background knowledge, but I wouldn't worry too much about doing background reading in each potential professor's field of interest or trying to impress them with your depth of knowledge in a five minute conversation. You can impress them with your performance once you have something to work on.

Suggestions:

1. Keep the email short.

"I am interested in any research opportunities you may have. I am especially interested in learning more about X. If you have any openings, can we arrange a time to discuss this?"

2. Don't spam the department. I would send email to, at most, three professors, none from the same research group. If one says "no", only then would I send out another one.

Ok, thanks everyone! I just emailed my first professor, and totally ready for a rejection.

You're presumably going to be on campus soon if you aren't there already. I think in general, personal contact would make more of an impression than an e-mail, if you can catch the prof in his/her office or lab, or right after a class (unless of couse he's in a hurry to get to his next class!).

I see from one of your other posts that you're an incoming freshman. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high about starting research so early. You're probably going to be busy enough with your classes anyway.

playoff said:
Hello PF!

I wish to do research as an undergrad, so I am thinking of sending emails to professors to ask for any available positions.

What would be the most professional way to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Before writing to someone cold, i.e., just like a cold call, it would be helpful if one was familiar with the research of the professor one wishes to contact. In other words, be proactive, and do some upfront independent study. At least be familiar with the field.

I've interviewed students looking for summer jobs, and I've been taken aback by the lack of knowledge on the part of some. I want to hire someone who has spent the effort to develop some basic understanding of the field rather than hire someone who 'wants a job'.

1. What should I include in the subject line of the email?

The subject line should be clear and concise, stating your name and the purpose of the email. For example, "Research Position Inquiry - John Smith". This will help the professor to quickly identify the purpose of your email and prioritize their response.

2. How should I address the professor in the email?

You should address the professor with the appropriate title and last name, such as "Dear Professor Smith" or "Dr. Smith". Avoid using informal or generic greetings like "Hey" or "Hi there". Showing respect and professionalism is important when reaching out to a potential research supervisor.

3. How should I introduce myself in the email?

In the first paragraph, briefly introduce yourself and your academic background. Mention your current educational institution, major, and any relevant research experience or skills. This will give the professor an idea of your qualifications and why you are interested in working with them.

4. What information should I include in the body of the email?

In the body of the email, you should explain why you are interested in the professor's research and how you believe your skills and interests align with their work. Be specific and highlight any relevant coursework or projects you have completed. You can also mention any specific questions or ideas you have about their research that you would like to discuss further.

5. How should I end the email?

In the closing paragraph, thank the professor for their time and consideration. Express your eagerness to learn more about their research and potential opportunities for collaboration. Finally, provide your contact information, including your email and phone number, so they can easily reach you for further communication.