Adjoint transformation of gauge fields

In summary: The transformation rule still applies.In summary, the gauge field W_\mu transforms asW_\mu\to W'_\mu=UW_\mu U^{-1} +(\partial_\mu U)U^{-1}under a gauge transformation U, where the first term UW_\mu U^{-1} means it transforms under the adjoint representation.
spookyfish
A gauge field [itex] W_\mu [/itex] is known to transform as
[tex]
W_\mu\to W'_\mu=UW_\mu U^{-1} +(\partial_\mu U)U^{-1}
[/tex]
under a gauge transformation [itex]U[/itex], where the first term [itex]UW_\mu U^{-1}[/itex] means it transforms under the adjoint representation. Can anyone explain to me why it means a transformation under the adjoint representation? all I know is the definition of the adjoint representation
[tex] [T_i]_{jk}=-if_{ijk} [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because the gauge field [itex]W_{\mu}[/itex] belongs to the adjoint representation of the gauge group.

ChrisVer said:
Because the gauge field [itex]W_{\mu}[/itex] belongs to the adjoint representation of the gauge group.

How can you see that?

Well in fact you need to check the adjoint representation. The definition of the adj. repr is that of an automorphism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjoint_representation
In particular it's because the transformation [itex]W \rightarrow U^{-1} W U[/itex] preserves the Lie Bracket.
The above transformation in practice means [itex] W^{a}_{\mu} T^{a}_{ij} \rightarrow W_{\mu} (U^{-1} T^{a} U)_{ij} [/itex].

Actually are we talking in particular for SU(2)?
In the SU(2) case you have the (dim) reprs:
[itex] 2 \equiv \bar{2}, 2 \otimes \bar{2} = 3 \oplus 1 [/itex]
the [itex]3[/itex] is where the gauge bosons (spin=1) belong. and that's the adjoint repr.

Last edited:
I understand. But I don't see how this transformation rule is consistent with the definition I know of the adjoint rep: Is it possible to assume that T transforms as [itex] GT_a G^{-1} [/itex] and then prove that it is given by the adjoint representation [itex] [T_a]_{bc}=-if_{abc} [/itex]?
where [itex] f_{abc} [/itex] are determined from:
[tex]
[T_a,T_b]=if_{abc}T_c
[/tex]
and I don't look specifically for SU(2) reps. also SU(3), and generally any Lie group.

An infinitesimal symmetry transformation can be parametrized by some numbers ##\omega^a##, where ##a## runs over the generators of the symmetry group. Then an object ##A_i## is said to transform in the representation ##R## if, under an infinitesimal transformation,

##A_i \to A_i + i \omega^a (T^a_R)_{ij} A_j##.

where the ##T_R^a##'s are the representations of the generators in the representation ##R##.

Let's look at how the vector potential ##W_\mu^a## transforms under a global gauge transformation. I'll drop the Lorentz index ##\mu## because it's irrelevant. We have

##W \to U W U^{-1}##

where ##U## is the gauge transformation matrix (we will look at a global transformation, so ##\partial_\mu U = 0##). For an infinitesimal gauge transformation ##U## can be written

##U = 1 + i \omega^a T^a_F##

where the ##T^a_F## are the generators in the fundamental representation. Similarly ##W## can be written in terms of the fundamental generators:

##W = W^a T^a_F##.

So we can rewrite the transformation rule, for an infinitesimal gauge transformation, as

##W^a T^a_F \to (1 + i \omega^a T^a_F) W^b T^b_F (1 - i \omega^c T^c_F)##

or, dropping negligible terms of order ##\omega^2##,

##W^a T^a_F \to W^a T^a_F + i \omega^a W^b [T^a_F, T^b_F]##.

But we know from the commutation rules that ##[T^a_F, T^b_F] = i f^{abc} T^c_F##. So the transformation rule becomes

##W^a T^a_F \to W^a T^a_F - \omega^a f^{abc} W^b T^c_F##

By renaming indices this can be rewritten

##W^a T^a_F \to (W^a + \omega^c f^{cab} W^b) T^a_F##

or just

##W^a \to W^a + \omega^c f^{cab} W^b##

Looking back at the first equation, this is the transformation rule for an object that lives in a representation ##R## where the generators are given by

##(T_R^c)^{ab} = -i f^{cab}##.

This is exactly the adjoint representation.

Likes haushofer
Hi. Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was looking for. the explanation is very clear. I only have one question (that I think does not affect the proof): Why did you assume that [itex]U[/itex] is given in the fundamental representation [tex] U=1+i\omega^aT_F^a [/tex]

I guess because we are talking about matrix Lie groups (their elements are matrices), and their algebra elements correspond to the fundamental representation.

spookyfish said:
Hi. Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was looking for. the explanation is very clear. I only have one question (that I think does not affect the proof): Why did you assume that [itex]U[/itex] is given in the fundamental representation [tex] U=1+i\omega^aT_F^a [/tex]

It doesn't matter; you can pick any representation ##R## and think of ##W## as the matrix ##W^a T_R^a## and ##U## as the matrix ##1 + i \omega^a T_R^a##.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the concept of adjoint transformation of gauge fields?

The adjoint transformation of gauge fields is a mathematical tool used in theoretical physics to describe the behavior of certain physical systems. It involves transforming a set of fields, which are mathematical objects that represent physical quantities, in a way that preserves their underlying symmetry. This transformation is based on the action of a local gauge group, which is a mathematical group that represents the symmetries of the system.

2. How is the adjoint transformation of gauge fields related to the concept of gauge symmetry?

Gauge symmetry is a fundamental concept in theoretical physics that describes the invariance of a physical theory under certain transformations. The adjoint transformation of gauge fields is a specific type of transformation that preserves the gauge symmetry of a system. This means that the physical theory remains unchanged under the adjoint transformation, ensuring that the physical predictions and observables are consistent.

3. What is the difference between the adjoint transformation and the gauge transformation?

The adjoint transformation and the gauge transformation are two different mathematical operations, although they are closely related. The gauge transformation only involves transforming the gauge fields themselves, while the adjoint transformation also transforms the gauge group itself. In other words, the adjoint transformation changes the structure of the gauge group, while the gauge transformation only acts on its elements.

4. How is the adjoint transformation used in the standard model of particle physics?

The standard model of particle physics is a theoretical framework that describes the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. The adjoint transformation is used in this model to describe the behavior of the strong and electroweak forces, which are mediated by gauge fields. The adjoint transformation ensures that the theory remains consistent and that physical predictions are preserved under the symmetries of these forces.

5. Are there any experimental implications of the adjoint transformation of gauge fields?

While the concept of adjoint transformation is primarily a theoretical tool, it does have important experimental implications. Since the adjoint transformation preserves the underlying symmetry of a physical system, it can be used to predict and explain experimental results. In particular, the adjoint transformation is essential in the study of quantum chromodynamics, which is the theory of the strong nuclear force and has been extensively tested in experiments at particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider.