What is the EMC effect and how does it challenge conventional nuclear physics?

In summary, the properties of nuclei are calculated using simplified models of protons and neutrons, such as shells and droplets. However, there are questions about whether these particles should be considered elementary or if the true picture includes valence quarks and pure QCD. The computational complexity of QCD increases exponentially with the number of particles, making it difficult to calculate properties of even simple nuclei. While it may be possible to make QCD calculations at higher energies, the presence of sea quarks and gluons can still affect results. Additionally, the EMC effect has shown that conventional nuclear physics models are inadequate and that calculations should be done using quarks and gluons, but there is no consensus on how to do so.
tzimie
Hi

Based on what I know (it might be wrong) properties of nuclei are calculated based on the different (simplified) models of the p and n "particles" (shells, droplets etc). I have 2 questions:

1. To what extent can we assume that n and p are "elementary" particles bound by residual strong force versus true picture on 3*(n+p) valence quarks and pure QCD? If we could calculate using both models - quark and hardon, what would be the level of inaccuracy of the simplified hardon model?

2. I've also heard that the computational complexity in QCD increases exponentially with the number of particles (when matter is cold enough). How far are is the current computational power (I don't mean a single computer, but huge networks like SETI@home, or power of video cards wasted on "mining bitcoins"). So how far is that power from being useful to calculate nuclear properties using "pure" QCD? May be not Uranium, but lighter elements?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can assume (1) as long as you are below the QCD energy scale (~200MeV).

tzimie said:
2. I've also heard that the computational complexity in QCD increases exponentially with the number of particles (when matter is cold enough). How far are is the current computational power (I don't mean a single computer, but huge networks like SETI@home, or power of video cards wasted on "mining bitcoins"). So how far is that power from being useful to calculate nuclear properties using "pure" QCD? May be not Uranium, but lighter elements?

Calculating properties of nuclei from QCD is indeed very hard. I think the current state of the art is that we can approximately calculate the binding energies of helium-3 and helium-4 in an unphysical scenario where the up and down quarks are much heavier than they are in the real world. The cost of the simulation increases as the quark mass decreases, so it will take some effort to do even this simple nucleus at the lighter, physical values of the up and down quark masses. I don't know if it's at the right level, but you could take a look at this overview.

For (1) see ChrisVer.

tzimie said:
They are still struggling with some mesons (-> XYZ spectroscopy) or precise ab initio mass predictions for individual baryons. Without effective models in some way, it is hard to do anything.

OMG, just for few quarks... So it is THAT bad...
Which means, that even we had TOE right now, we wouldn't be able to make any calculations->predictions, because near Planck energies we would have to take into account a cloud of all types of virtual particles, including quarks and gluons, all that QCD stuff.

At higher energies I think that it's possible to make QCD calculations, since the coupling constant gets smaller and so you can work with the 3 valance quarks (the sea quarks and gluons get to zero).

ChrisVer said:
At higher energies I think that it's possible to make QCD calculations, since the coupling constant gets smaller and so you can work with the 3 valance quarks (the sea quarks and gluons get to zero).

Yes and no. The sea quarks and gluons matter more and more at higher energies (see fig 16.4 in the PDG summary on structure functions http://pdg.lbl.gov/2011/reviews/rpp2011-rev-structure-functions.pdf). However, higher energies mean that the strong coupling constant is weaker, which means that you are further and further into the deep inelastic scattering (DIS) regime, where you can use perturbation theory to high accuracy - you just need to know the parton pdfs.

tzimie, regarding your first question: there is an experimental effect called the EMC effect where conventional nuclear physics (treating the nucleus as a bound system of protons and neutrons) is inadequate. If deep inelastic scattering (DIS)—and I recommend Orodruin's link on this—is performed on a nucleus, and on a deuteron, then the ratio of their cross sections, given as a function of Bjorken x, has a dip in the region 0.3<x<0.7 that cannot be explained simply by accounting for the motion or binding energy of nucleons.

For this reason, everyone seems to believe that calculations should be done with quarks and gluons in order to explain the EMC effect, but no-one really agrees on how.

What are hadrons and quarks?

Hadrons are subatomic particles made up of quarks. Quarks are fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons, which are the building blocks of atomic nuclei.

What is the difference between hadrons and quarks?

The main difference between hadrons and quarks is their size and composition. Hadrons are larger particles made up of multiple quarks, while quarks are smaller, fundamental particles.

How do hadrons and quarks contribute to the structure of nuclei?

Hadrons, specifically protons and neutrons, make up the majority of the mass of atomic nuclei. Quarks, on the other hand, are the fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons, and thus are essential to the structure of nuclei.

What are the different types of hadrons and quarks?

There are two types of hadrons: baryons (made up of three quarks) and mesons (made up of a quark and an antiquark). There are six types of quarks: up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom.

How do scientists study hadrons and quarks?

Scientists study hadrons and quarks using various particle accelerators and detectors. They also use theoretical models and mathematical equations to understand the behavior and interactions of these subatomic particles.