The Amman Message: Learn About its Impact

• News
  • Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
In summary: Anyway, it was a good thing that King Abdullah II convened it and hopefully it will help moderate Muslims to stand up to those who would hijack their faith.
Physics news on Phys.org
Hurkyl said:

Wow, Islam seems like a good message to me. In that message it becomes clear that for at least some Muslims truly are condemning the terrorist who are using Islam to justify their evil actions.

I wonder if perhaps this message was put out in hopes of lessening the backlash from the London attacks.

I especially like the following excerpt,
We attach great hope to the scholars of our Nation. It is they who will enlighten our youth - the generation that adorns our present age and will create and become our future. It is our scholars who will keep our youth from sliding down the paths of ignorance, corruption, close-mindedness and subordination, into the abyss of extremism. And it is our scholars who will hold a beacon to a different path - a path of tolerance, moderation, and goodness; guiding young people to the way of Islam and instituting its great values in their young hearts.

In any case, a worthwhile read...Thanks Hurkly

Regards

Last edited:
As I understand, King Abdullah II held a conference on Monday for moderate Muslims to combat the "hijacking" of their faith. I'd surmise that this was probably prepared for that conference, or was the result of it, or something like that. I only found out about it through remarks in today's papers on the London bombings.

Anyone know more about this message, or the conference I mentioned? I had no luck digging up more with a brief search.

Hurkyl said:
Anyone know more about this message, or the conference I mentioned? I had no luck digging up more with a brief search.
Are these helpful?

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=43212&version=1&template_id=37&parent_id=17

http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=9479

http://jordantimes.com/thu/opinion/opinion1.htm

THe conference appears to be called the "International Islamic Conference." I'm sure that will bring up relelvant as well as irrelevant hits.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Amman Message?

The Amman Message is a declaration issued in 2004 by King Abdullah II of Jordan that outlines the core principles of Islam and promotes unity and tolerance among Muslims.

2. What are the three points of the Amman Message?

The three points of the Amman Message are: reaffirming the validity of all eight schools of Islamic jurisprudence, recognizing the diversity and tolerance within Islam, and rejecting any form of extremism or violence.

3. What impact has the Amman Message had?

The Amman Message has had a significant impact in promoting unity and tolerance among Muslims, as well as countering extremist ideologies. It has been endorsed by over 500 Muslim scholars and leaders from around the world and has been used as a basis for interfaith dialogue and cooperation.

4. How does the Amman Message promote peace and understanding?

The Amman Message promotes peace and understanding by emphasizing the principles of tolerance, diversity, and unity within Islam. It also rejects any form of extremism or violence, promoting a more peaceful and inclusive interpretation of the religion.

5. How can individuals learn more about the Amman Message?

Individuals can learn more about the Amman Message by reading the full declaration on its official website, attending lectures or events hosted by Muslim organizations, and engaging in interfaith dialogue and discussions about the message and its impact.