Would a black hole be able to suck-in another blackhole?

In summary, two black holes can combine into one larger black hole, but there is no 'sucking' involved, just normal gravity at work. There is no known upper mass limit for a black hole, but some believe the total mass of the universe could be a defining limit. The resulting black hole may have slightly less mass than the sum of the two black holes that formed it, due to energy loss through gravitational waves. There is also a gain in total mass due to relativistic effects of the high speeds reached as the black holes spiral into each other. However, ultimately the total available mass in the universe is the upper limit for a black hole.
bayan
Hi there. I just have a question about black holes.

Would a black hole be able to suck-in another black hole?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
as a star that went super nova is the starting point of a black hole and there is a limit to the size of a star and so a limit to the size of the resulting black hole BUT we have super masive black hole as galitic center objects
therefor it is very likely that they do combine but there is no sucking to the deal just normal gravity at work

btw I think this process results in a quazar while the two [or more ] black holes are
moveing at high speeds thru each others disks of matter that they each have around them
as I cannot see simple infalling matter supplying the required energy

is there a limit of how much matter it can suck in?

bayan said:
is there a limit of how much matter it can suck in?

no limits but [well a bigger BH would not infall to a smaller one]
they do NOT suck
they have mass that has the very same gravity as any other lump that has the same mass

and mostlikely something other then the simple infall of stuff is seen in the
growth to super massive size as exists in the central galixcys black holes we see today

Yes, 2 (or more) black holes can combine into 1 larger black hole. IIRC, the new black hole has slightly less mass than the sum of the 2 black holes that formed it due to energy loss through gravitational waves.

No known upper mass limit for a black hole.

Phobos said:
Unless I missed something somewhere along the line, I believe that the total mass of the universe would be the defining limit. That's essentially the thinking behind the 'Big Crunch' proposal, isn't it? If the limit were lower, such a thing would never have been suggested in the first place.

Phobos said:
Yes, 2 (or more) black holes can combine into 1 larger black hole. IIRC, the new black hole has slightly less mass than the sum of the 2 black holes that formed it due to energy loss through gravitational waves.

I thought from reading posts here that
there is a gain in total mass
from relitiveistic effects of the high speeds reached
as the two BH sprial into each other at near light speeds

ray b said:
I thought from reading posts here that
there is a gain in total mass
from relitiveistic effects of the high speeds reached
as the two BH sprial into each other at near light speeds
No, Phobos is correct.

Danger said:
Unless I missed something somewhere along the line, I believe that the total mass of the universe would be the defining limit. That's essentially the thinking behind the 'Big Crunch' proposal, isn't it? If the limit were lower, such a thing would never have been suggested in the first place.

Ok, the total available mass in the universe is an upper limit. :smile:
But a black hole is an object set within spacetime whereas a Big Crunch would consume all of spacetime as well.

Phobos said:
Ok, the total available mass in the universe is an upper limit. :smile:
But a black hole is an object set within spacetime whereas a Big Crunch would consume all of spacetime as well.
Good point... but it would still be a swell name for a candy bar. :biggrin:

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses on itself.

2. Can a black hole suck in another black hole?

Yes, it is possible for a black hole to "suck in" another black hole. This phenomenon is known as a black hole merger, and it occurs when two black holes are in close proximity to each other and their gravitational forces cause them to orbit and eventually merge into one larger black hole.

3. What would happen if two black holes merged?

When two black holes merge, the resulting black hole would have a greater mass and a larger event horizon. The event horizon is the point of no return for anything that enters a black hole. The merger would also release a tremendous amount of energy in the form of gravitational waves.

4. Is it possible for a black hole to "eat" another black hole completely?

No, it is not possible for a black hole to completely consume another black hole. When two black holes merge, they form a larger black hole, but the total amount of mass is conserved. Some of the mass is converted into energy and released as gravitational waves, but the majority of the mass remains in the new black hole.

5. Could a black hole merger pose a threat to Earth?

No, a black hole merger would not pose a threat to Earth. The closest known black hole to Earth is about 1,600 light-years away, and even if two black holes were to merge, the resulting gravitational waves would have a very small impact on Earth. Additionally, the existence of black holes in our universe is necessary for maintaining the stability and structure of galaxies.