Calculating Powers of Complex Numbers in the Third Quadrant

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the modulus and trigonometric form of a complex number, as well as calculating the power of a complex number. The correct formula for finding the modulus is mentioned and the angle for the third quadrant is determined.
Atilla1982
I have z=-(1/2)-(sqrt3/2)i
r=|z|

is this right?

r=cos*2Pi/3+i*sin*Pi/3 = 1 + sqrt3/2*i

Now I have to find Z^2004, how do I do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. The modulus of a complex number has to be real.

Daniel.

Show that the trigonometric form of your "z" is

[tex] z=\cos 210\mbox{deg} \ +i\sin 210\mbox{deg} [/tex]

Daniel.

no

Atilla1982 said:
r=|z|
is this right?

No. If [tex]z=a+bi[/tex] where a and b are real, then [tex]\left| z \right| = \sqrt{a^2+b^2} \geq 0[/tex] for any complex number z. Notably, [tex]\left| z \right| [/tex] is always a positive real number, and hence your answer for r cannot be correct.

If [tex]z = -\frac{1}{2}-\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}i[/tex], then [tex]r=\left| z \right| = \sqrt{\left( -\frac{1}{2} \right) ^2 + \left( -\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}} \right) ^2} = \sqrt{ \frac{1}{4}+ \frac{3}{2}} =\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{7}[/tex]

Atilla1982 said:
r=|z|
is this right?
Now I have to find Z^2004, how do I do that?

[tex]r= \sqrt{\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right)^2}[/tex]
which, as Dextercioby and denorin point out, is a real number.
[tex]tan(\theta)= \frac{-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}{-\frac{1}{2}}= \sqrt{3}[/tex]
Since both real and imaginary parts of negative (the negatives disappear in the fraction) the angle is in the 3rd quadrant.
(Thanks, Dextercioby. One of these days, I really need to learn to count!)

Once you know r and [itex]\theta[/itex],
[tex](r(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))^n= r^n(cos(n\theta)+ i sin(n\theta))[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean the third quadrant, right...?

Daniel.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. The imaginary part is denoted by the letter i, which stands for the square root of -1.

2. How are complex numbers represented on a graph?

Complex numbers can be represented on a graph called the complex plane. The real part is plotted on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part is plotted on the vertical axis. The point where the two axes intersect is the origin, which represents the number 0 + 0i.

3. What is the modulus of a complex number?

The modulus, also known as the absolute value, of a complex number is the distance from the origin to the point representing the complex number on the complex plane. It is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the real and imaginary parts are the legs of a right triangle.

4. How do you find the modulus of a complex number?

To find the modulus of a complex number, you can use the formula |z| = √(a² + b²), where z = a + bi and a is the real part and b is the imaginary part. Alternatively, you can also use the distance formula on the complex plane to find the distance from the origin to the point representing the complex number.

5. What is the significance of the modulus in complex numbers?

The modulus of a complex number represents its magnitude or size. It can also be used to find the distance between two complex numbers on the complex plane. Additionally, the modulus is used in many mathematical operations involving complex numbers, such as finding the conjugate and calculating the argument or angle of a complex number.