Derigible Lift Capacity: Calculations and Accuracy Explained

In summary, Faust9 believes that his calculations for the derigible's helium lift capacity may not be accurate. He is looking for someone to confirm his findings. Additionally, he plans to steer the airship using either a rudder or a balloon.
Jadson
Alright. I submit. I'm lost. I've been working on a plan for a derigible, or airship, and found that I've run into a problem. I've been using the equasion:

[(H x W x L) x Pi] / 3

to calculate the capacity of the airbags within the derigible. I don't think this is correct so please help me there if you can. Anyway, the real problem is I don't think my results are acurate. I have looked up helium's lift capacity and found that it is 1 m3 can lift 91.82566798 grams, or 0.2024409 pounds. This seems logical, but that's not the problem either. After calculating the entire derigibles helium lift capacity (4869.468161 m3), I have found that it can only lift about 4471.4216659116718478 grams, or 985.77973565 pounds. This does not seem acurate seeing as the airship has 20 airbags ranging from 7x7x7 m to 12x8x7 m. I would think it could lift a bit more but, I am rather unexperienced in this field.

Can someone please confirm my calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you air bags shaped like cones? I would use spherical airbags [itex]V=\frac{4\pi r^3}{3}[/itex] or cylindrical [itex]V=\pi r^2 h[/itex] or even cubic air bags [itex]V=L \times W \times H[/itex]

For example: let's say the average radius of 20 spherical bags is 8.5 m thus:

[tex]V_{one sphere}=\frac{4\pi (8.5m)^3}{3}\approx 2572 m^3[/tex]

[tex]V_{all sphere}=V_{one sphere}\times 20 \approx 51448 m^3[/tex]

which can lift [itex]\approx[/itex]4682 kg, or 10322 lb.

Thanks a lot Faust9, I was really worried that all of my work had gone to crap. Anyway, there are some spherical airbags, but some are not spheres, more oval shape. circular shapes that are such sizes as 12x8x7 as an example. To be more specific, there are 6 7x7x7 airbags, 2 12x8x7 airbags, and 12 9x3x8 airbags. I can't seem to find an equation for oval shaped ones:

does anyone have an equation for that?

Last edited:
Volume of a spheroid is π*a*b*c

Where a, b, and c are the semiaxes (like a radius in a single direction)

How are you planing to steer the airship?

1. What is derigible lift capacity?

Derigible lift capacity refers to the maximum weight that an airship, or blimp, can carry while remaining safely airborne. It is a crucial consideration when designing and operating an airship.

2. How is derigible lift capacity calculated?

Derigible lift capacity is calculated by taking into account the volume of gas in the airship's envelope, the weight of the airship's structure and equipment, and the weight of any cargo or passengers on board. It is also affected by external factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude.

3. What factors can affect derigible lift capacity?

Derigible lift capacity can be affected by a number of factors, including the temperature and density of the surrounding air, the weight of the airship's structure and equipment, and the volume and type of gas used to fill the airship's envelope. Changes in altitude can also impact derigible lift capacity.

4. How important is derigible lift capacity in airship design?

Derigible lift capacity is a critical factor in airship design, as it directly impacts the airship's ability to stay aloft and carry cargo or passengers. It is essential to carefully calculate and account for derigible lift capacity to ensure the safe and efficient operation of an airship.

5. Can derigible lift capacity be increased?

Yes, derigible lift capacity can be increased by using a more efficient gas, reducing the weight of the airship's structure, or increasing the volume of the airship's envelope. However, these modifications must be carefully considered and tested to ensure the safety and stability of the airship.