Male-Female Strength/Wrestling Question

• Thread starter hikepoet
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various experiences and opinions on male versus female strength. Some participants share personal experiences of being surprised by a woman's strength, while others mention the importance of technique and fitness level. There is also a discussion on the difference in strength between pre- and post-puberty and the role of puberty in determining strength. Some participants also mention the strength differences between men and women in general.
Proton Soup said:
it's not all bad, but just do a google for crossfit rhabdo to get an idea of where the craziness can lead.

Ah... these are Powerthirst users, huh? (Love the 2nd one - "You'll feel like a jet fighter made of biceps!")

Physics news on Phys.org
CaptainQuasar said:
In regards to strength stuff, here is a woman lifting weight equal to her own body weight for fifteen reps:

Quicktime, Windows Media

I don't know how relevant this kind of strength would be to wrestling but even when I was in better shape (weighed less than I do now and did more weightlifting) I would never have come even remotely close to being able to do anything like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnE6dh3nOCM&feature=related

And here is a guy bench pressing 1080 pounds. I think it is safe for me to say without being sexist that it will be impossible for any woman to ever bench press that much, their bodies simply aren't built the way like a man's is.

Here is a guy benching 585 lbs (which is probably more than double his weight) 22 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fPaZLJcwQc&feature=related

(doesn't really get the full range of motion, but he still is benching it like it is nothing)

gravenewworld said:

And here is a guy bench pressing 1080 pounds. I think it is safe for me to say without being sexist that it will be impossible for any woman to ever bench press that much, their bodies simply aren't built the way like a man's is.

Here is a guy benching 585 lbs (which is probably more than double his weight) 22 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fPaZLJcwQc&feature=related

(doesn't really get the full range of motion, but he still is benching it like it is nothing)

the first one, that guy is certainly a great athlete and genetically gifted, but he's also full of steroids and using a "bench shirt" that provides a good deal of elastic rebound to get the weight off the chest.

the second one is from the "Arnold" exhibition, and the plates are fake.

gravenewworld said:

Oh yeah, no question that men have far greater potential in terms of the absolute poundage they can handle. No worries that some chick is going to outdo Magnús Ver Magnússon or something. (Did anyone see his cameos on The Daily Show? Awesome.)

My thought was more along the lines of, can a woman who is at that peak of physical strength, if you figure that's the top 1% or 2% of all women, and assuming that she knows the basics of wrestling and has the right reflexes, can she be expected to beat something like 70% or 80% or 90% of men? I don't know enough about wrestling and how important strength is to know.

CaptainQuasar said:
I don't know enough about wrestling and how important strength is to know.

I wonder how much center of gravity would make a difference in wrestling? Perhaps a lower center of gravity would give women a slight advantage?

CaptainQuasar said:
In regards to strength stuff, here is a woman lifting weight equal to her own body weight for fifteen reps:

Quicktime, Windows Media

I don't know how relevant this kind of strength would be to wrestling but even when I was in better shape (weighed less than I do now and did more weightlifting) I would never have come even remotely close to being able to do anything like this.

She's going to regret those locked elbows some day. If you're going to lift that sort of weight, learn to do it right...and safely.

I could probably lift HER body weight (she looks pretty petite :biggrin:). I'm not sure I could ever lift my own body weight...the stronger I get, the heavier I am, so I don't think I could ever catch up. I can drag my body weight (that's how much the sheep I work with weigh, and I can drag them a few feet), and I can flip over an adult male dead weight (um...really dead), and I know I can lift at least 80 lb bags of feed from the floor to waist height. I'm not sure I could lift that over my head though, nor do I want to try.

Ah, well, if I ever meet you in person I think I'll refrain from wrestling you. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/bolt.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
I wonder how much center of gravity would make a difference in wrestling? Perhaps a lower center of gravity would give women a slight advantage?

It depends on the style of wrestling. There's a pretty huge variety out there.

Superior technique and timing can overcome size and strength advantages in most forms of wrestling. The MMA circuits have a number of 'giant' guys that regularly get beaten by guys that are much smaller than they are. Naturally, other things being equal, size and strength can win out.

I read your post and decided to experiment myself. I went out and wrestled a 9 year old girl, she didn't stand a chance. If fact last time I checked she's still where I left her.

Thanks,
Neu

Yes of course and I agree you are not very strong for a male or female but that isn't a bad thing. My boyfriend of almost 2 years is shorter and Far weaker than I am and we find it to be most enjoyable, especially when wrestling or... ;) in bed. If you enjoy it have fun with it there is nothing wrong with it! Please feel free to blush, us strong girls love to make guys blush. ;)
Amy

hikepoet said:
Hi, I'm interested in hearing honest opinions/experiences on male versus female strength. As a perhaps below-average strength guy (150 lbs, can bench 70 lbs ten times at most) I've often found women stronger than me, and many have pinned me in friendly wrestles. Wondering if men or women on this list have experiences to share, I'm curious if women often surprise their male friends or mates by being stronger. Thanks, Kevin

well if you talk only about wrestling than a more experienced female wrestler(assuming she is the same weight as you are)can pin a you as embarrassing as this may sound but it's true because wrestling is not all about strength as for functional strength women can be stronger than a man if she works out every day,lifts weights and stuff like that but only thing i prefer women to stay in the kitchen only and let the men pump some iron.

But generally speaking men ARE stronger than women not always though.

heh, feeling kinda dumb here. i just realized the OP probably had a fetish for this.

edward said:
Women have more muscle attached to the pelvic area than men do.

well..., they should have more muscles in that place if you know what i mean:tongue2:

FizixFreak said:
well..., they should have more muscles in that place if you know what i mean:tongue2:

They should when that whole structure is flooded with Elastin... and... yeah ouch.

@Proton Soup: JUST?! :wink:

So... if I gather this correctly, we're ignoring joint-locks, vascular and nerve strikes, and that kind of thing right? I mean, if I'm wrestling with a woman who's been learning how to strike my brachial plexus with her pinky toe, I'm doomed even if she's a pixie. By the same token, give her a gun and the same outcome arises. To be meaningful, this would have to be, "of equal size, skill, and cardiovascular fitness", and then gender is really not the issue.

nismaratwork said:
They should when that whole structure is flooded with Elastin... and... yeah ouch.

@Proton Soup: JUST?! :wink:

So... if I gather this correctly, we're ignoring joint-locks, vascular and nerve strikes, and that kind of thing right? I mean, if I'm wrestling with a woman who's been learning how to strike my brachial plexus with her pinky toe, I'm doomed even if she's a pixie. By the same token, give her a gun and the same outcome arises. To be meaningful, this would have to be, "of equal size, skill, and cardiovascular fitness", and then gender is really not the issue.

well, you know, i think it's fun for its own sake. i just don't remember catching the schmoe aspect of the OP before.

do some bridges, build a neck, protect your nerves.

yeah, women simply never match men on any show of strength, regardless of pelvic surface area. if they did, there would be no need for separate track events.

Proton Soup said:
well, you know, i think it's fun for its own sake. i just don't remember catching the schmoe aspect of the OP before.

do some bridges, build a neck, protect your nerves.

yeah, women simply never match men on any show of strength, regardless of pelvic surface area. if they did, there would be no need for separate track events.

Agreed... although if anyone ever asks me to bridge again I'll smack 'em! I wrestled in grade and early high school... I've bridged and sprawled so much if you clap the right way I hit the deck. :tongue:

edit: From that experience, I've been on both sides of about 40 POUNDS weight difference, and not due to muscular fitness. When I was the one with the extra weight, I won, but only because of greater experience. Yeah, it's great to use that weight and smother the other contestant, but if they're lean and quick it's not easy to get INTO that position. When I was the slimmer one, I won again, but ONLY because I'm wide-framed and this guy was the original ectomorph, and it wasn't pretty.

Have you ever wrestled a two-year-old? When trying to hold on to them, they put up quite a fight. Just ask their Mom or Dad.

Loren Booda said:
Have you ever wrestled a two-year-old? When trying to hold on to them, they put up quite a fight. Just ask their Mom or Dad.

Yeah, um, I know what you mean... HOWEVER, that could really be taken the wrong way!
:bugeye:

nismaratwork said:
Yeah, um, I know what you mean... HOWEVER, that could really be taken the wrong way!
:bugeye:

Yikes!

lisab said:
Yikes!

It's the joy of looking at things from as many angles as possible by habit. :cry: Certainly Booda didn't mean it that way, and I know it!

nismaratwork said:
It's the joy of looking at things from as many angles as possible by habit. :cry: Certainly Booda didn't mean it that way, and I know it!

:smile:

Actually, more difficult than wrestling a 2-year-old: getting them into their PJs when they don't want to cooperate!

lisab said:
:smile:

Actually, more difficult than wrestling a 2-year-old: getting them into their PJs when they don't want to cooperate!

:rofl:

My mother still delights in reminding me of the time she spent trying to get my shoes/booties/pajamas on. Apparantly I wouldn't wrestle, I'd just flex my feet... man I was a little **** even then!

I have no real experience with clothing kids that young, but I was a camp counselor for 2 years, with the age group being about 6-7. Like herding chickens... fortunately kids and animals seem to like me, and I'm a big tall guy so they ended up using me as jungle-gym. I distinctly remember, through the fog of memory... walking around the "drop-off" area with one kid on each limb with an absolute death-grip. :rolleyes: Good kids though, although as a teen myself it was a little harrowing.

edit: Oh, and they were PLENTY strong. I let them on, but they were the ones who let ME go. :rofl:

Between the ages of 11 and 17 I was assistant and then head of my 11 a.m. church nursery, for an hour or so on Sundays while the parents were in the sanctuary. It was better than listening to a liberal sermon. The kids I oversaw with a helper were anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 years, and boy, could some wriggle!

Loren Booda said:
Between the ages of 11 and 17 I was assistant and then head of my 11 a.m. church nursery, for an hour or so on Sundays while the parents were in the sanctuary. It was better than listening to a liberal sermon. The kids I oversaw with a helper were anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 years, and boy, could some wriggle!

Ah yes... children in their "grub stage", and the dreaded "nymph stage". Oh, and when I say nymph I don't mean this:
wood_nymph.jpg

I mean THIS:
[PLAIN]http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/water/images/lg/770397_dragonfly_lg.jpg [Broken]

I'll go with the flower girl.

nismaratwork said:
Ah yes... children in their "grub stage", and the dreaded "nymph stage". Oh, and when I say nymph I don't mean this:

I mean THIS:

As a forest nymph, I say: thanks for the clarification :wink:.

Anytime lisab, anytime. :biggrin:

Loren: Wouldn't we all?... tough for us, we get the fish-eaters.

Loren Booda said:

Or an 18 month old when you're changing their diaper. One handed, trying to keep them from smearing poop on the carpet, trying to keep their foot out of the old diaper - it's just a harrowing experience.

BobG said:
Or an 18 month old when you're changing their diaper. One handed, trying to keep them from smearing poop on the carpet, trying to keep their foot out of the old diaper - it's just a harrowing experience.

I think babies are actually Thorium reactors... you're dealing with hot waste there. I've also heard that they can literally fill their jumpers on a bad day with poop... is that actually TRUE?

nismaratwork said:
I think babies are actually Thorium reactors... you're dealing with hot waste there. I've also heard that they can literally fill their jumpers on a bad day with poop... is that actually TRUE?

The technical term for that is a "blowout".

lisab said:
The technical term for that is a "blowout".

So it IS real!

brb... getting vasectomy... :bugeye:

hikepoet said:
Hi, I'm interested in hearing honest opinions/experiences on male versus female strength. As a perhaps below-average strength guy (150 lbs, can bench 70 lbs ten times at most) I've often found women stronger than me, and many have pinned me in friendly wrestles. Wondering if men or women on this list have experiences to share, I'm curious if women often surprise their male friends or mates by being stronger. Thanks, Kevin

When you normalize for the number of muscular fibers and CSA of the fiber both man and women have equal maximum-strength.

Maximal total body mean strength in women is about 60% of that of a man.
In the lower body the total average strength of a women is about 70-75% of that of a man, while in the upper body it varies from 25% to 55% of that of a man. (according to Fleck&Kraemer 2004) There exist also differences in the potential to develop maximal power between man and women.

The comparisons are made in groups with similar age, training age, and so on. It would hilarious to compare the strength of a trained power female athlete to the strength of a untrained man, the female would just win hands down.

And yes, you are weak in upper body strength. An average *untrained* (who never lifted anything) man of 150 pounds is expected to have a 1RM bench press of 110 , and your predicted 1RM max is only about 93 pounds. It's a big difference.

A woman of the same weight , untrained, is expected to bench about 70 pounds. You are still stronger an untrained women of your weight, but only by a small difference. And of course, all bets are off if you compare yourself with a strength trained woman in the same weight category.

So when you compare yourself to a girl, look for her background in strength training, and technical training she had. It is unreasonable for you to expect to be stronger only because you are a man.

Last edited:
<h2>1. What are the physical differences between males and females that affect strength and wrestling?</h2><p>There are several physical differences between males and females that can affect strength and wrestling. These include differences in muscle mass, bone density, and hormone levels. Males typically have a higher percentage of muscle mass and bone density, as well as higher levels of testosterone, which can contribute to greater strength and power. Females, on the other hand, tend to have a higher percentage of body fat, which can affect their overall strength and agility.</p><h2>2. Is it fair for males and females to compete against each other in wrestling?</h2><p>This is a highly debated topic and opinions vary. Some argue that it is not fair for males and females to compete against each other in wrestling due to the physical differences mentioned above. Others argue that it should be allowed as long as there are weight classes to ensure a more level playing field. Ultimately, it is up to individual organizations and governing bodies to determine their rules and regulations for male-female competition in wrestling.</p><h2>3. Can females be stronger than males in wrestling?</h2><p>Yes, there are certainly cases where females can be stronger than males in wrestling. Strength is not solely determined by gender, but also by individual training, technique, and genetics. It is also important to note that strength is not the only factor in wrestling, as technique and strategy also play a significant role in success.</p><h2>4. Are there any advantages for females in wrestling?</h2><p>There are some potential advantages for females in wrestling. For example, females tend to have more flexibility and can use this to their advantage in certain moves and positions. Additionally, females may have better endurance and stamina, which can be beneficial in longer matches. However, these advantages may vary depending on the individual and cannot be generalized to all females.</p><h2>5. How can males and females train differently for wrestling?</h2><p>Training for wrestling should be tailored to each individual's strengths and weaknesses, rather than solely based on gender. However, there may be some differences in training approaches for males and females. For example, males may focus more on building muscle mass and strength, while females may focus more on agility and endurance. Ultimately, the most effective training methods will vary for each individual, regardless of gender.</p>

1. What are the physical differences between males and females that affect strength and wrestling?

There are several physical differences between males and females that can affect strength and wrestling. These include differences in muscle mass, bone density, and hormone levels. Males typically have a higher percentage of muscle mass and bone density, as well as higher levels of testosterone, which can contribute to greater strength and power. Females, on the other hand, tend to have a higher percentage of body fat, which can affect their overall strength and agility.

2. Is it fair for males and females to compete against each other in wrestling?

This is a highly debated topic and opinions vary. Some argue that it is not fair for males and females to compete against each other in wrestling due to the physical differences mentioned above. Others argue that it should be allowed as long as there are weight classes to ensure a more level playing field. Ultimately, it is up to individual organizations and governing bodies to determine their rules and regulations for male-female competition in wrestling.

3. Can females be stronger than males in wrestling?

Yes, there are certainly cases where females can be stronger than males in wrestling. Strength is not solely determined by gender, but also by individual training, technique, and genetics. It is also important to note that strength is not the only factor in wrestling, as technique and strategy also play a significant role in success.

4. Are there any advantages for females in wrestling?

There are some potential advantages for females in wrestling. For example, females tend to have more flexibility and can use this to their advantage in certain moves and positions. Additionally, females may have better endurance and stamina, which can be beneficial in longer matches. However, these advantages may vary depending on the individual and cannot be generalized to all females.

5. How can males and females train differently for wrestling?

Training for wrestling should be tailored to each individual's strengths and weaknesses, rather than solely based on gender. However, there may be some differences in training approaches for males and females. For example, males may focus more on building muscle mass and strength, while females may focus more on agility and endurance. Ultimately, the most effective training methods will vary for each individual, regardless of gender.