COnfused: what is the derivative of ln(2x)?

In summary, the derivative of ln(2x) is 1/x. There were two incorrect methods mentioned, one involving pulling a constant out of the natural logarithm and the other involving incorrect application of the chain rule. The correct method involves using the derivative of ln(x) = 1/x and the properties of logarithms.
Arshad_Physic

Homework Statement

What is the derivative of ln(2x)?

I was just thinking about this, and I got 2 answers. I am in Calc 2 right now.

Homework Equations

Derivative of ln(x) = 1/x

The Attempt at a Solution

Since d/dx lna = (1/a)*(derivative of a)

Thus d/dx ln2x = (1/2x)*(2)

BUT

I can also do this, I think: d/dx ln2x = 2d/dx lnx = 2*1/x = 2/x

I am CONFUSED! lol !:)

Please tell me which is the correct method! :)

Thanks! :)

Likes Pranjal Nag
Physics news on Phys.org
both the methods are incorrect
d/dx(log 2x)=(1/2x)d/dx(2x)
=1/x

Likes Pranjal Nag
Arshad_Physic said:
Since d/dx lna = (1/a)*(derivative of a)

Thus d/dx ln2x = (1/(2x))*(2)

This is correct. Note that ln(ax) = ln(a) + ln(x). Since ln(a) is a constant, the derivative is always 1/x, irrespective of 'a'. In geometric terms, 'a' simply moves the graph of the logarithm up or down; it does not change the shape of the graph.

BUT

I can also do this, I think: d/dx ln2x = 2d/dx lnx

This is wrong. The natural logarithm is not linear: you cannot pull the 2 out of the ln, irrespective of the derivative. ln(2x) is not 2ln(x) any more than cos(2x) = 2cos(x). It would be a good idea to review the definition and properties of logarithms.

Thanks Slider and Monty! :)

(d(ln 2x)/ dx) / (d(2x)/ dx) = 2/2x/2 = 1/2x

bobn said:
(d(ln 2x)/ dx) / (d(2x)/ dx) = 2/2x/2 = 1/2x
100% wrong! Go back and read the previous responses to this question. The derivative is 1/x.

ohh sorry I calculatd, derivative of ln2x wrt to 2x.

1/2x

fan_103 said:
1/2x
try reading the other posts... d(ln2x)/dx = 1/x

anti derivative of 1/x or x^-1 = ln (x) natural log of x =ln x +c so the derivative of c + ln (2x)dx=1/2x +C'

duke222 said:
anti derivative of 1/x or x^-1 = ln (x) natural log of x =ln x +c so the derivative of c + ln (2x)dx=1/2x +C'
Wrong on two counts:
  1. d/dx(c) = 0 - not c'
  2. d/dx(ln(2x)) = 1/x - you are forgetting to use the chain rule.

I didn't see it mentioned but observe also you can apply the properties of logarithms:

[tex] d/dx \, \ln(2x) = d/dx\, [\ln(x) + \ln(2)] = 1/x + 0[/tex]

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable. It essentially tells us how much the output of a function changes when the input is changed by a small amount.

2. What is the natural logarithm (ln)?

The natural logarithm (ln) is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the exponential function. It is commonly used to represent the amount of time needed for a quantity to grow or decay at a constant rate.

3. How do you find the derivative of ln(2x)?

To find the derivative of ln(2x), we can use the chain rule, which states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. In this case, the outer function is ln(x) and the inner function is 2x. Therefore, the derivative of ln(2x) is 1/x multiplied by 2, which simplifies to 2/x.

4. Why is the derivative of ln(2x) equal to 2/x?

The derivative of ln(2x) is equal to 2/x because the derivative of ln(x) is equal to 1/x, and when we apply the chain rule, we multiply it by the derivative of the inner function, which is 2. This results in 2/x as the final answer.

5. What is the significance of the derivative of ln(2x)?

The derivative of ln(2x) tells us the instantaneous rate of change of the function at any given point. This is useful in many applications such as determining the slope of a curve, finding maximum and minimum points, and solving optimization problems.