Visible Light Communication

In summary, the FTDI chip comes with a driver to make it look like a serial port, however, to communicate with the serial port at speeds higher than 115,000 baud, you may need to hack the driver.
rxwontfit
A colleague and I are in our 4th year of Electrical Engineering and are designing a Visible Light Communication device capable of sending text, pictures, videos, etc over a binary light channel. We are currently using an FTDI chip to interface between the USB and receiver/transmitter. According the FTDI specs, the device is capable of Rx and Tx rates up to 3 MegaBaud. Assuming we have LEDs and Photodiodes (transmitters and receivers) capable of this frequency response - Does anybody have any recommendations from a Software perspective of what we could use to push data out the usb port? All coding examples I have come across in C++, PHP, and Mathematica cap at ~115,000 Baud. Any help, or serial class references are appreciated.

Thanks for your time and have a great day.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The FTDI chip comes with a driver to make it look like a serial port - if it doesn't google for "virtual com port"
A serial port is pretty easy to talk to in any language

indeed it does mask the usb as a serial port - but from a software side, communicating with the serial port requires that I fit within serial port restraints (within 115,000 baud?)... how can I transfer data at 3Mbaud if the software won't support it?

it comes down to this: how do I send a 3Mbaud bitstream out of the USB port? I have the drivers installed for the FTDI chip, I'm looking for a language where I can actually specify that 3Mbaud is the baudrate...but from what I've seen I cannot find any.

It's not, but there's a say of hacking the driver so that you can get this transfer rate--some students I TA'd did this a few years back to facilitate higher speed transfers. You probably need to contact FTDI for more details.

What is Visible Light Communication?

Visible Light Communication (VLC) is a wireless communication technology that uses visible light as a medium to transfer data between devices. It works by modulating the intensity of light emitted by LED bulbs in a way that is imperceptible to the human eye, but can be detected by specialized receivers.

How does Visible Light Communication work?

VLC uses LED bulbs as transmitters that emit light at high frequencies. This light is then modulated to transmit data in the form of binary code. Receivers equipped with photodiodes are able to detect these light signals and decode them into usable data.

What are the advantages of Visible Light Communication?

VLC has several advantages over other wireless communication technologies. It is faster, more secure, and has a wider bandwidth. It also does not interfere with radio frequency signals, making it ideal for use in sensitive environments such as hospitals or airplanes.

What are the potential applications of Visible Light Communication?

VLC has a wide range of potential applications. It can be used for indoor positioning and navigation, as well as for data transfer in areas where radio frequency signals are not allowed. It can also be used for smart lighting systems, information displays, and even underwater communication.

Are there any limitations to Visible Light Communication?

One limitation of VLC is that it requires a direct line of sight between the transmitter and receiver. This means that obstacles such as walls or furniture can disrupt the signal. Additionally, VLC is not effective in bright sunlight, as the ambient light can interfere with the data transmission.