How Does the Principle of Virtual Work Apply to Particle Equilibrium?

In summary, the principle of virtual work states that in a system of particles in equilibrium, the virtual work done by forces of constraint is equal to the virtual work done by applied forces. This principle is used to find the equilibrium position of a system of particles, and can be seen in action by imagining a particle constrained to travel on a sphere.
cosmicraj
I could not understand the Principle of virtual work.
Suppose we have two (x,y,t) [at two different points].By principle of least action we will get a trajectory such that it minimize lagrangian.
Does the principle of virtual work say that it will vary the path a little but having the same end points?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_mechanics

Quote: "Start with D'Alembert's principle for the virtual work of applied forces, \mathbf{F}_i, and inertial forces on a three dimensional accelerating system of n particles, i, whose motion is consistent with its constraints"

For understanding D alembert's pinciple. one should know the principle of virtual work.

i think It is not difficult as people have made it...
The simple thing is that the use of this principle is to find the equilibrium position of anybody or set of particles.

Thanx to all and please tell me more if required...

I don't understand well enough to put this in the context of what you are talking about. But...

A virtual displacement is when you change the coordinates of the particles by an infinitesimal distance. This is different from a normal displacement in that this displacement does not take place over an time interval dt.

Now, if you have a system of particles in equilibrium, then [tex]\sum_i F_i \cdot \delta r_i = 0[/tex], because each F_i = 0.

The principle of virtual work says that forces of constraint do no work. So [tex]\sum_i F^{constraint}_i \cdot \delta r_i = 0[/tex] and therefore [tex]\sum_i F^{applied}_i \cdot \delta r_i = 0[/tex] as [tex]F_i = F^{constraint}_i + F^{applied}_i[/tex].

A colloquial way to see the validity of this is to imagine a particle constrained to travel on a sphere. The force of constraint will be perpendicular to the surface while the virtual displacement will be tangent to the surface, so their dot product is 0.

1. What is the principle of virtual work?

The principle of virtual work, also known as the virtual work method, states that the equilibrium of a system can be determined by calculating the virtual work done by all external forces acting on the system. It is a powerful tool used in mechanics to solve problems involving static and dynamic systems.

2. How is the principle of virtual work used in engineering?

The principle of virtual work is commonly used in engineering to determine the stability and equilibrium of structures. It is also used to analyze the behavior of mechanical systems, such as machines and mechanisms. Additionally, it is used in the design and optimization of various structures and systems.

3. What is the difference between virtual work and actual work?

Virtual work is a theoretical concept used to determine the equilibrium of a system, while actual work refers to the physical work done by forces acting on a system. Virtual work does not involve any actual movement or displacement, whereas actual work involves the physical movement of objects.

4. What are the advantages of using the principle of virtual work?

The principle of virtual work offers several advantages in engineering and science. It allows for the analysis of complex systems, provides a simplified approach to solving problems, and can be used to optimize designs and improve efficiency. It also allows for the prediction of the behavior of systems under different conditions without the need for physical testing.

5. Are there any limitations to the principle of virtual work?

While the principle of virtual work is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It is based on the assumption that all forces act on a system through a single point, and it also assumes that the system is in a state of static equilibrium. These assumptions may not always hold true in real-world scenarios, which could lead to inaccurate results.