What exactly is an inertial reference frame?

In summary, the object that appears to be accelerating may be doing so because there is a net force acting on it, even though there isn't one. The way to determine whether or not there is a net force is to use the Galilean transformations.
Mangoes
Due to my job and other classes, I've been studying ahead of my class by myself to not fall behind and I'm not sure if I'm oversimplifying this in my head and not really grasping the idea.

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object with a net force of zero stays in constant motion (or rest). So, if an object appears to be accelerating, there must be a net force acting on it.

The way I understand it, if I were to get in my car and accelerate to some object A, that object A would appear to be accelerating towards me, even though there isn't a force acting on it, and this is why Newton's First Law doesn't apply to accelerating reference frames. Am I oversimplifying this?

While I can understand how objects would seem to accelerate due to an accelerating reference frame and you wouldn't want that, what particularly confuses me is that we use the Earth as a reference frame yet the Earth accelerates around the sun.

Are we just using the Earth as a good enough approximation of an inertial reference frame? Would it be correct in thinking that there isn't an absolute inertial reference frame?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your understanding of inertial frames is, imo, excellent. And you're right about the Earth as an approximation to an inertial frame.

First of all, one should be clear about the fact that the existence of a (globel) inertial frame (and then arbitrarily many inertial frames which all move uniformly against each other) is an assumption. It's part of Newton's postulate on space, according to which space is independently from all physical processes a three-dimensional Euclidean space, and time, which is a one-dimensional oriented (Euclidean) space, independent from all physical processes.

Then by definition, an inertial frame is one, in which the First Law, i.e., Galilei's principle of inertia holds: If there is no force acting on a body, it moves with constant velocity (note that velocity has to be understood as a vector quantity here).

Thinking a bit about the mathematics of how to calculate the space-time coordinates of a particle wrt. an inertial frame S' given its space-time coordinates wrt. another inertial frame S, you come to the Galileo transformations, which form a continuous Lie group of ten paramaters.

First of all, as a Euclidean affine space space is translation invariant, i.e., there is nothing in space that distinguishes one point from any other point, i.e., you can choose your origin of the spatial coordinate system, determining an inertial frame as you wish. The laws of nature must not change when doing such a transformation, i.e., if [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] is the position vector wrt. S, then you can introduce another system S', which is at rest wrt. to S and simply has it's origin shifted to [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] (wrt. S). Time stays as it is. Then the coordinates wrt. S' are
[tex]\vec{x}'=\vec{x}-\vec{a}, \quad t'=t.[/tex]
Further, the same argument holds for time, i.e., there is no point in time distinguished from any other, so that you can choose your origin of the time axis as you wish:
[tex]t'=t-b, \quad b=\text{const}.[/tex]
This is the translation group of space-time, which must be a symmetry of the natural laws within Newton's postulates.

In space you further are free to orient your coordinate system as you wish. Of course, the Cartesian coordinate systems are especially simple to use, so that we'll do this from now on. All distances and angles between vectors are fixed quantities and independent from any spatial rotation. A spatial rotation is described by an orthogonal Matrix [itex]\hat{R}[/itex] and is parametrized by three parameters (e.g., two angles for the orientation of the rotation axis and one angle of rotation around this axis, or the three Euler angles). If S' is simply given by a rigid rotation wrt. S, and if the new basis vectors are given by the rotation matrix [itex]\hat{R}[/itex], i.e., if
[tex]\vec{e}_j=\sum_{k=1}^3 R_{jk} \vec{e}_k'[/tex]
then the coordinates of the position vector [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] wrt. the new Cartesian reference frame are given by
[tex]x_i'=\vec{e}_i' \cdot \vec{x}=\vec{e}_i' \cdot \sum_{j=1}^3 \vec{e}_j x_j = \sum_{j=1}^3 R_{ij} x_j.[/tex]
For the coordinates we thus get
[tex]\vec{x}'=\hat{R} \vec{x}, \quad t'=t.[/tex]
Since [itex]\hat{R}[/itex] must be an orthogonal matrix, we have the constraint
[tex]\hat{R}^{-1}=\hat{R}^T.[/tex]
This leads to the rotations (and spatial reflections, which we however exclude from the symmetry group of space time because we are only interested in such transformations that can be reached by continuous operations).

Last but not least we can also let the frame S' move with constant velocity [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] wrt. S. Then the transformation, a "Galileo boost", reads
[tex]\vec{x}'=\vec{x}-\vec{v} t, \quad t'=t.[/tex]
So the Galileo group is generated by all compositions of
-translations in space and time (4 parameters),
-rotations in space (3 parameters),
-Galileo boosts (3 parameters for the boost velocity [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]).

All together we have indeed a 10-dimensional group, under which the Laws of motion are invariant. One can analyze this constraint with help of analytical mechanics, using variational principles (particularly Hamilton's principle of least action), which admits an elegant derivation the possible dynamical laws of motion given the constraints of the space-time symmetry. The most simple realization of such a dynamical law leads to Newton's 2nd and 3rd law.

While I can understand how objects would seem to accelerate due to an accelerating reference frame and you wouldn't want that, what particularly confuses me is that we use the Earth as a reference frame yet the Earth accelerates around the sun.

Are we just using the Earth as a good enough approximation of an inertial reference frame? Would it be correct in thinking that there isn't an absolute inertial reference frame?

Although Einstein liked to talk about moving trains on Earth, he liked to think about elevators in outer space. And, in fact, that is where most of the thinking about inertial reference frames should take place when you are learning about it. To try to figure this stuff out in a cosmic sense initially using your rotating bedroom on Earth as your frame of reference is working harder, not smarter. Start thinking about your 4-vectors in the intergalactic space between the milky way and the andromeda galaxy.

An inertial reference frame is a coordinate system in which the laws of physics hold true without the need for any additional forces or accelerations. This means that an object in an inertial reference frame will either remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

In your example, when you are accelerating in your car, the object A would appear to be accelerating towards you because of the relative motion between your car and the object. However, in reality, the object is not actually accelerating, it is just appearing to do so from your perspective due to the acceleration of your car. This is because your car is not an inertial reference frame, as it is experiencing an acceleration due to the engine.

As for the Earth being used as a reference frame, it is important to note that the Earth's motion around the sun is not considered an acceleration in this context. This is because the Earth's orbit is a constant motion, meaning that the laws of physics still hold true in this reference frame. Additionally, the Earth's motion around the sun is negligible in comparison to the Earth's overall motion, making it a good approximation of an inertial reference frame.

It is correct to say that there is no absolute inertial reference frame. This is because the concept of an inertial reference frame is relative, and it depends on the observer's perspective and their frame of reference. However, for most practical purposes, we can use inertial reference frames such as the Earth's to accurately describe the motion of objects in our everyday lives.

1. What is an inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is a frame of reference in which Newton's first law of motion holds true - an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue in a straight line at a constant speed, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is an inertial reference frame different from a non-inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is stationary or moving at a constant velocity, while a non-inertial reference frame is accelerating or rotating. In a non-inertial reference frame, objects appear to experience fictitious forces, such as centrifugal force, due to the acceleration or rotation of the frame.

3. Why is an inertial reference frame important in physics?

An inertial reference frame is important in physics because it provides a consistent and objective way to measure and describe the motion of objects. It allows for the application of Newton's laws of motion and other fundamental principles in physics.

4. How is an inertial reference frame determined?

An inertial reference frame can be determined by observing the motion of objects in relation to the frame. If the objects follow Newton's first law of motion, the frame is considered inertial. Additionally, a frame can be considered inertial if it is not accelerating or rotating.

5. Can an inertial reference frame exist in space?

Yes, an inertial reference frame can exist in space. In fact, most reference frames used in space exploration and astrophysics are inertial, as objects in outer space typically do not experience significant external forces. However, in situations where the frame is accelerating or rotating, it may not be considered inertial.