Containing Fukashima: Could a Crude Method Work?

• Thread starter Tapestry
  • Start date
In summary: We don't know with absolute certainty but we've been working with radioactive materials for over a hundred years and radioactive decay...or fission...is the only thing that can change the number of protons or neutrons in a nucleus.In summary, it doesn't look like anybody is doing anything effective or at least anything practical to contain/stop the Fukashima radiation disaster. What I was wondering as a remedy, beyond the concrete entombment like in Chernobyl is if some other method could be used. What I was thinking about was various early nuclear tests where atomic bombs were set off in heavy steel containers
Tapestry
It doesn't look like anybody is doing anything effective or at least anything practical to contain/stop the Fukashima radiation disaster.What I was wondering as a remedy,beyond the concrete entombment like in Chernobyl is if some other method could be used.What I was thinking about was various early nuclear tests where atomic bombs were set off in heavy steel containers.Also Russia experimented with a particle beam weapon where a nuke was set off in a long,heavy metal cylinder that had a small opening at one end to release this particle or energy beam.So what we see is a nuclear bomb being shielded or contained by a heavy steel casing.Since there doesn't seem to be any sophisticated technology being used to deal with the Fukashima crisis could this crude method work? Could a very thick (maybe hundreds of feet?) metal case or ball be built to completely surround the Fukashima reactors.Also what if the fuel in the Fukashima reactors could be ignited (by a nuke) placed inside this monstrously thick metal ball.Would the ball remain intact and stifle the explosion and if it did would this allow a quicker degradation of the radiation and a safer disposal of it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What? I'm pretty sure there are no containers that are able to withstand nuclear blasts.

I'm not sure any manmade container could contain a nuclear blast. The sheer amount of heat generated couldn't be handled by any static material. Some sort of flow shielding would be needed.

Japan sure saved themselves a lot of money though.

I'm sure they would be happy to skip some more expensive safety measures in the future too.

I'm also pretty sure they will sometime soon be taking over someone elses property anyway.

David Christo said:
Japan sure saved themselves a lot of money though.

I'm sure they would be happy to skip some more expensive safety measures in the future too.

I'm also pretty sure they will sometime soon be taking over someone elses property anyway.
Before you get too caught up in your hating:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onagawa_Nuclear_Power_Plant#2011

...of course there's always the "Hutchison Effect" which purportedly changes the physical structure and composition of metals.Why wouldn't it work on metals like uranium and plutonium to possibly deactivate their radioactivity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tapestry said:
It doesn't look like anybody is doing anything effective or at least anything practical to contain/stop the Fukashima radiation disaster.

This comes from someone who didn't even bother learning the proper name of the place? It's not "Fukashima".

I could address other points in your posting but... why bother?

Tapestry said:
...of course there's always the "Hutchison Effect" which purportedly changes the physical structure and composition of metals.Why wouldn't it work on metals like uranium and plutonium to possibly deactivate their radioactivity?

Because that video is absolute nonsense. I don't know what that was in the video, but it definitely isn't a "solid iron bar". It'd be hard for a solid iron bar to collapse inward on itself since it's, you know, solid. Besides, plutonium and uranium are radioactive because of the number of protons and neutrons they contain. The only thing that can change this is various radioactive decay processes or by purposely causing them to fission.

Last edited by a moderator:
..."It'd be hard for a solid iron bar to collapse inward on itself since it's, you know, solid. Besides, plutonium and uranium are radioactive because of the number of protons and neutrons they contain. The only thing that can change this is various radioactive decay processes or by purposely causing them to fission."

If you heated the iron to say 3.000 degrees F it would quickly collapse inwardly and outwardly (i.e. melt) into a puddle! How does anybody know with certainty what are the only forces that can change the physical composition of uranium or plutonium? Extreme heat and extreme cold also change the characteristics of radioactive matter.Vibration/Resonance is another force that affects all matter and atomic bonds.Maybe there are other forces that are still unknown to science.The Hutchison Effect hasn't been disproven and it is still getting a lot of attention and study.
p.s. People probably wouldn't mistake the word Fukashima for Chernobyl or anywhere else...they'd know in the context it was used that it referred to Fukushima in Japan! Nitpicking is proof of nothing but pettiness!

Tapestry said:
If you heated the iron to say 3.000 degrees F it would quickly collapse inwardly and outwardly (i.e. melt) into a puddle!

Yes, which didn't happen in the video. The "bar" collapsed inward and twisted around itself as if it were hollow.

How does anybody know with certainty what are the only forces that can change the physical composition of uranium or plutonium? Extreme heat and extreme cold also change the characteristics of radioactive matter.Vibration/Resonance is another force that affects all matter and atomic bonds.

We don't know with absolute certainty but we've been working with radioactive materials for over a hundred years and radioactive decay rates have only been shown to change in very specific conditions, none of which either uranium or plutonium meet.

See here: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/ParticleAndNuclear/decay_rates.html

Maybe there are other forces that are still unknown to science.

If so, their effects are very subtle and difficult to detect. Something that could drastically effect the decay rates of nuclei should be extremely obvious.

The Hutchison Effect hasn't been disproven and it is still getting a lot of attention and study.

Not according to my own searches into it. Hutchinson is a crackpot and a fraud and so is the "Hutchinson Effect".

"Yes, which didn't happen in the video. The "bar" collapsed inward and twisted around itself as if it were hollow."

You don't know what happened to that bar or have any proof it was hollow.

"We don't know with absolute certainty but we've been working with radioactive materials for over a hundred years and radioactive decay rates have only been shown to change in very specific conditions, none of which either uranium or plutonium meet."

What authority says you have to change the Radioactive Decay Rates to change the structure of an object?

"If so, their effects are very subtle and difficult to detect. Something that could drastically effect the decay rates of nuclei should be extremely obvious."

How do you know? Maybe today's science is still to primitive to see something that would be obvious with more advanced tools...like the microscope was for revealing the existence of germ organisms!

"Not according to my own searches into it. Hutchinson is a crackpot and a fraud and so is the "Hutchinson Effect"."

You don't have any definitive proof of that.Not only does it parallel work done by Tesla (which was it's inspiration) but also there's been way too much government interest to casually dismiss the Hutchinson Effect. If it is real it's a potential threat people who would use nuclear energies in dangerous ways.That John Hutchinson presents himself as a Weirdo is undebatable.

Extreme heat and pressure can indeed transmutate materials. The other name for that is "thermonuclear reactions". They happen in stars and is the source of everything in the universe that is not hydrogen. We are made of the result of the extreme heat and pressure.

But that has nothing to do with the crackpottery of that Hutchinson guy.

Closed pending moderation.

1. What is the "crude method" proposed for containing Fukashima?

The "crude method" proposed for containing Fukashima involves building a wall of frozen soil around the nuclear plant, known as an "ice wall", to prevent contaminated groundwater from flowing into the ocean.

2. Has this method been used before in similar situations?

Yes, this method has been used in other situations to contain contaminated groundwater, such as in the cleanup of the Hanford nuclear site in Washington state.

3. How long would it take for the ice wall to be built?

It is estimated that the ice wall would take about two years to build, as it would require drilling over 1,500 holes and inserting pipes to circulate the coolant needed to freeze the soil.

4. What are some potential drawbacks or challenges to using this method?

Some potential challenges include the high cost of building and maintaining the ice wall, as well as potential technical difficulties in maintaining the wall and preventing leaks. There are also concerns about the long-term effectiveness of the ice wall and its impact on the surrounding environment.

5. Is this method guaranteed to work in containing Fukashima?

No method can be guaranteed to work in such a complex and unprecedented situation. However, experts believe that the ice wall could be an effective method for containing the contaminated groundwater at Fukashima if it is properly implemented and maintained.