Photochemistry Experiment: Seeking Advice on UV-Light Apparatus

• Thread starter Xplorer1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking advice on finding an apparatus for an organic chemistry experiment that involves using uv-light at a specific wavelength. They ask if anyone has experience or advice on the matter and someone suggests a website that provides information on a low-pressure Hg lamp. The original person clarifies that they do not necessarily need a filter for their experiment.
Xplorer1
Hello all,

Since I want to do an organic chemistry experiment by using uv-light at 273 nm I'm seeking for an apparatus with the proper lamp/source/filter.

Does anyone has any experience or advice in doing photochemistry with such specific condition and knows a system which possibly could be used?

Many thanks!

Cheers,
Xplorer1

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ah, thanks Dr Du! Their site gives much information, I will discuss the low-pressure Hg lamp in my group.

For my purposes it is not required to use any filters.

1. What is photochemistry?

Photochemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of chemical reactions that are initiated or affected by light. This includes the absorption of light by molecules, formation of excited states, and subsequent chemical reactions.

2. What are the benefits of conducting a photochemistry experiment?

Photochemistry experiments allow scientists to study the effects of light on chemical reactions, which can provide valuable insights into the mechanisms and kinetics of these reactions. This information can be used to develop more efficient and sustainable chemical processes and materials.

3. What equipment is needed for a photochemistry experiment?

The equipment needed for a photochemistry experiment may vary depending on the specific reaction being studied. However, some common equipment includes a light source (such as a lamp or laser), a reaction vessel, and a spectrophotometer for measuring light absorption.

4. How are photochemistry experiments typically carried out?

In a photochemistry experiment, the reaction vessel is placed under the light source and the reactants are introduced. The reaction is then monitored by measuring changes in light absorption or other parameters. Different variables, such as light intensity or wavelength, can be adjusted to study their effects on the reaction.

5. What are some real-life applications of photochemistry?

Photochemistry has a wide range of real-life applications, including in the production of pharmaceuticals, plastics, and renewable energy sources. It is also used in fields such as photography and forensics, and has potential uses in fields such as data storage and communication.