Register to reply

Hydrogen anion stable when left unperturbed ?

by xortdsc
Tags: anion, hydrogen, stable, unperturbed
Share this thread:
xortdsc
Jan11-14, 09:42 AM
P: 94
Hi,

I wondered if an isolated singly negatively ionized hydrogen atom (1 proton, 2 electrons) would be stable.
In the corresponding wikipedia article it states: "H− is unusual because, in its free form, it has no bound excited states, as was finally proven in 1977 (Hill 1977)." - does this mean it would loose one of its electrons (and by that its ionization) as soon as it absorbs a photon, but when both electrons remain in their ground state (1s orbital) due to lack of external radiation they would remain in a stable bound state ?

cheers
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
xortdsc
Jan11-14, 09:53 AM
P: 94
Ah, I was to quick with my question. I've found a source which is more explicit with its statement saying: "Correlations between the two electrons are strong already in the ground state, the only bound state in this three-body system."

So it seems it is stable when both electrons are on the 1s orbital.

Register to reply