Understanding ∏ and other mathematical constants

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of pi (π) and its significance in mathematics and nature. It is clarified that pi is not an infinite set of numbers, but a single number with an infinite number of digits. It is questioned why pi is considered more important than other numbers and why it is used in various equations and formulas. The conversation also delves into the definition of pi as the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter and its relation to circles. It is suggested to read the provided Wikipedia article for further understanding.
Niaboc67
What exactly is ∏? I've never quite understood why it is apparent in so many different equations and formulas. Why is it there? Why is it apparent in nature so much? And ∏ it's just a infinite set of numbers why is it any more relevant than any other set of infinite numbers. Why is 3.14... so important to the fundamental properties of this universe. The same goes with e and ψ and Ω and every other set of numbers. Are all constants just sets of infinitely repeating numbers that are set into different sequences?

I am in need of some demystification. Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First, [itex]\pi[/itex] is NOT an "infinite set of numbers". It is a single number that happens, like almost all real numbers, to have an infinite number of digits in base 10 notation. And I don't see anything special about "[itex]\pi[/itex]". It doesn't seem, to me, to be any more important than "e" and considerably less important than "0" or "1"!

I still do see why ∏ possesses this quality. What makes it any different from using other numbers? why is this set of numbers used as opposed to any other set of numbers, or single number as referred to? 3.14159265359, does it just so happened to be that number you get for the ratio of any circles circumference to it's diameter? so anytime we are referring to ∏ automatically it is in some relation with circles?

Niaboc67 said:
I still do see why ∏ possesses this quality. What makes it any different from using other numbers? why is this set of numbers used as opposed to any other set of numbers, or single number as referred to?

Again, ##\pi## is a single number, not a set of numbers.

3.14159265359, does it just so happened to be that number you get for the ratio of any circles circumference to it's diameter? so anytime we are referring to ∏ automatically it is in some relation with circles?

Yes, ##\pi## is defined as the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. If you take an arbitrary circle and calculate that ratio, you will get ##\pi## (more or less exactly depending on your accuracy of measurement).
Any other use of ##\pi## must somehow have been derived from this definition. So everywhere you use ##\pi##, there must have been some relation to circles, although this relation is sometimes very difficult to discover.

Niaboc,The link I gave includes everything you want. Please read it. I suggest you to read the entire article.

1. What is ∏ and why is it an important mathematical constant?

∏, also known as pi, is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is important because it is used in many mathematical equations and has applications in geometry, trigonometry, and calculus.

2. How is ∏ calculated?

∏ is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction. It is commonly approximated as 3.14, but its decimal representation goes on infinitely without repeating. It can be calculated using various formulas, such as the Leibniz formula or the Gregory-Leibniz series.

3. Are there other mathematical constants besides ∏?

Yes, there are many other mathematical constants, such as e, the golden ratio, and the Euler-Mascheroni constant. These constants are used in different branches of mathematics and have their own unique properties and applications.

4. What is the history behind ∏?

The concept of ∏ has been studied and used by different civilizations throughout history, including the ancient Egyptians, Babylonians, and Greeks. The first recorded calculation of ∏ dates back to the ancient Greek mathematician Archimedes in the 3rd century BC.

5. How is ∏ used in real-world applications?

∏ is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and statistics. It is used to calculate the circumference and area of circles, which has practical applications in construction, architecture, and design. It is also used in the development of computer algorithms and in the study of chaotic systems.