Calculating induced power in coil

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the coil will produce power depending on the magnetic field and the source impedance. If you can mechanically vary the field strength, you can calculate the power output.
Jdo300
Hi,

I'm working on making a coil and I was wondering if there are some nifty equations out there to predict how much power the coils can make under a changing magnetic field of X gauss. I am going to be using 1 inch of a 3/8" x 2.25" bolt to wind my coil onto and I will be exposing it to a 2000 gauss field from a 0.5" x 0.5" neo magnet that is placed on the end of the coil.

I used a gauss meter to measure the amount of flux coming out of the side of the bolt where I will be wrapping the wire, and it is about 320 gauss. If I could mechanically vary this field strength on the coil by ±5% (304 - 336 gauss) at frequency X, how would I determine the power output? I am planning on using 20 gauge magnet wire for the coil, which will be 1" tall, and 1.5" in diameter.

Any help/pointers would be great :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Induced *power* is an interesting question. The power that can be induced will depend on the source impedance of the electromechanical setup, and I'm not sure how one would go about calculating that. Interesting question. Calculating the induced voltage is fairly straightforward,

[tex]V = -n \frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex]

where n is the number of turns in the coil, and [tex]\phi[/tex] is the total flux that crosses the area of the coil.

But the weaker the source of the flux, the more the back emf will cancel it out -- the situation is much like a the transfer function through a transformer. But I'm not sure how to calc source impedance of a moving magnet coil arrangement. Anybody else know?

Hmm, I just saw your double post on this question in the General Physics forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=125722

Please don't double post. We'll stop this thread here and any more responses should be in the other thread.

1. How do you calculate induced power in a coil?

To calculate the induced power in a coil, you need to use the formula P = I x V, where P is the power, I is the current, and V is the voltage. You also need to know the number of turns in the coil and the frequency of the alternating current passing through the coil.

2. What is the purpose of calculating induced power in a coil?

The purpose of calculating induced power in a coil is to determine the amount of electrical energy that is being generated. This is important in understanding the efficiency of the coil and how much power it can deliver to a circuit.

3. How does the number of turns in a coil affect the induced power?

The number of turns in a coil directly affects the induced power. The more turns in a coil, the higher the induced voltage and thus, the higher the induced power. This is because each turn of the coil contributes to the electromagnetic field that generates the power.

4. What factors affect the induced power in a coil?

There are several factors that can affect the induced power in a coil, including the number of turns, the frequency of the alternating current, the strength of the magnetic field, and the resistance of the coil. These factors can all impact the amount of electrical energy that is generated in the coil.

5. How can induced power in a coil be increased?

To increase the induced power in a coil, you can increase the number of turns in the coil, increase the frequency of the alternating current, or increase the strength of the magnetic field. These actions will result in a higher induced voltage and thus, a higher induced power in the coil.