Dyeing Pillow/Duvet Covers in the Sink

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I have two duvet/pillow cover sets both the same, brown out side cream inside, i managed to rip one of the covers trying to stuff the duvet into it,mom told me she would get me a replacement set, and now i have it, but it,its p p pink , i just can not put it on, i read that people dye things in a washing machine?? i do not have one so could i do it in the sink?In summary, the speaker has two duvet/pillow cover sets, both in the same brown and cream color scheme. One of the covers was ripped while trying to stuff the duvet into it. The speaker's mom said she would get a replacement set, but the new
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have two duvet/pillow cover sets both the same, brown out side cream inside, i managed to rip one of the covers trying to stuff the duvet into it,
mom told me she would get me a replacement set, and now i have it, but
it,its p p pink , i just can not put it on, i read that people dye things in a washing machine?? i do not have one so could i do it in the sink?

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
I have two duvet/pillow cover sets both the same, brown out side cream inside, i managed to rip one of the covers trying to stuff the duvet into it,
mom told me she would get me a replacement set, and now i have it, but
it,its p p pink , i just can not put it on, i read that people dye things in a washing machine?? i do not have one so could i do it in the sink?
It would have to be a really big sink, do you have a bathtub?

Hey I still have a beloved henry's cat duvet :biggrin:

I'd just leave them pink doesn't really matter what colour your bed spread is right?

Last edited:
You don't have a washing Machine? I thought that was a thing of the past

Evo said:
It would have to be a really big sink, do you have a bathtub?

Yes i have a bath tub, but i spend ages cleaning the bathroom and i would not want dye stains every where.

It is not worth me buying a wash machine, i only have a few socks and a pair of jeans to wash each week, oh and a couple of t shirts.

Kurdt said:
Hey I still have a beloved henry's cat duvet :biggrin:

I'd just leave them pink doesn't really matter what colour your bed spread is right?

You are jesting, "right", me with any thing pink i would be just so :blushing: if anyone saw.

By the time she sees it, it's too late for her.

wolram said:
Yes i have a bath tub, but i spend ages cleaning the bathroom and i would not want dye stains every where.

It is not worth me buying a wash machine, i only have a few socks and a pair of jeans to wash each week, oh and a couple of t shirts.

What about a cheap plastic kids swimming pool or a large plastic storage bin? That might be hard transport from the store to home on your motorcycle though...

larkspur said:
What about a cheap plastic kids swimming pool or a large plastic storage bin? That might be hard transport from the store to home on your motorcycle though...

I could get a storage drum from work, but i have just had a brain wave, i could bleach it white in the bath.:approve:

wolram said:
I could get a storage drum from work, but i have just had a brain wave, i could bleach it white in the bath.:approve:
Tell mom you need the receipt, go exchange it for a color you like.

NoTime said:
Tell mom you need the receipt, go exchange it for a color you like.

Im to chicken.

Around here, you can buy dye for fabric right in the grocery store. A duvet cover isn't too big, so it would probably fit in a sink. You'd just have to get a stick or something to stir it around so it dyes more uniformly than if it sat bunched up (unless you like the look of tie dye). I'm not sure how colorfast those dyes are though (i.e., do they run and dye everything in the laundry if you later wash the fabric). I think you need to let it sit quite a while for the dye to take well, so you might be better just putting it in a tub or bucket in the yard rather than making a mess of a sink or tub and then not being able to use it until the thing was done soaking. Just read the instructions on the dye package.

Of course, you could swear the pink duvet cover was the result of manly laundry washing (i.e., you didn't know any better than to wash it with the brand new red socks, and it was really white before it turned pink). :wink:

wolram said:
Im to chicken.
:rofl: Never tell a woman you don't like it. :rofl:
Tell her a seams defective and your afraid it will rip out if you try to use it.
Compliment her on all the work she did to get it.
Insist that she's done so much already that you couldn't dream of having her do it. :wink:

NoTime said:
Tell her a seams defective and your afraid it will rip out if you try to use it.
Insist that she's done so much already that you couldn't dream of having her do it. :wink:
You forgot the last important bit...when he comes back with a different color, he MUST insist to her that he really enjoyed the lovely color she had chosen, but when he was at the store, they were all out of stock of that one color (must be a very popular color...obviously she has good taste), so he decided to just replace it with a different color of the same thing.

Moonbear said:
You forgot the last important bit...when he comes back with a different color, he MUST insist to her that he really enjoyed the lovely color she had chosen, but when he was at the store, they were all out of stock of that one color (must be a very popular color...obviously she has good taste), so he decided to just replace it with a different color of the same thing.
I was going to put that in, but I didn't want to give away all my secrets :devil:

Moonbear said:
they were all out of stock of that one color (must be a very popular color...obviously she has good taste), so he decided to just replace it with a different color of the same thing.
So, Moonbear... about that tie you sent me last Christmas... :uhh:

NoTime said:

Well for sure a hard stare from my 83 year old mom can still liquify a grown man, and the (brush off), no,no if you do not like what moms bought you, i did go into town just to buy that, but it is up to you if
you do not like it, sniff.....

You should also consult a color chart, pinks are not easy to dye over. Unless you want purple, then try to dye it blue. If it were me, I would use a medium brown.
Make sure to mix the dye in very hot water, wear gloves, and stir often.

wolram said:
Well for sure a hard stare from my 83 year old mom can still liquify a grown man, and the (brush off), no,no if you do not like what moms bought you, i did go into town just to buy that, but it is up to you if
you do not like it, sniff.....
Just what part of this are we missing here :confused:

hypatia said:
You should also consult a color chart, pinks are not easy to dye over. Unless you want purple, then try to dye it blue. If it were me, I would use a medium brown.
Make sure to mix the dye in very hot water, wear gloves, and stir often.

Well that turns out just fine, brown will fit the bill just right :approve:

1. Can I use regular fabric dye to dye my pillow/duvet covers in the sink?

Yes, you can use regular fabric dye to dye your pillow/duvet covers in the sink. However, make sure to follow the instructions on the dye package carefully and choose a dye that is suitable for the type of fabric your covers are made from.

2. How much dye should I use for my pillow/duvet covers in the sink?

The amount of dye to use will depend on the size of your covers and the intensity of color you desire. It is best to follow the instructions on the dye package and adjust the amount of dye accordingly.

3. How long should I soak my pillow/duvet covers in the dye solution?

The soaking time will also vary depending on the type of fabric and the desired color intensity. It is recommended to start with a shorter soaking time (around 30 minutes) and check the color. If you want a darker color, you can continue soaking for another 30 minutes or so.

4. Can I dye my pillow/duvet covers in the sink if they have a pattern or design on them?

If your covers have a pattern or design, the dye will likely only change the color of the background and not the pattern itself. It is best to choose a dye color that will complement or enhance the existing design.

5. Can I wash my pillow/duvet covers in the washing machine after dyeing them in the sink?

Yes, you can wash your covers in the washing machine after dyeing them in the sink. Make sure to use cold water and a mild detergent to avoid fading the new color. It is also recommended to wash the covers separately from other items to avoid any dye transfer.