Exploring the Effects of Cloning on Evolutionary Process: Expert Insights

• Thread starter franky_mojojo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cloning
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of cloning on the evolutionary process and the ethical considerations surrounding it. The speakers express their hopes for improved genetic testing leading to the removal of genetic defects from the gene pool and caution against the idea of cloning individuals for specific qualities. They also mention the importance of considering epigenetics in any reproductive technology.
franky_mojojo
I was wondering what effect cloning will have (if any at all) on the evolutionary process. Would it increase life expectancy, using theraputic cloning? Assuming human cloning was given the all-clear, would we then go about cloning brilliant scientists, philosophers, etc to increase the quality of life? Would the evolutionary process stop (or has it already stopped), as those who shouldn't survive certain diseases, like cancer, begin to survive these diseases only for their genes to be passed on? Would like to hear your thoughts.

Biology news on Phys.org
Evolution has not yet "stopped," but medical intervention has certainly altered its course.

I personally hope that people who find out they are carriers for genetic diseases like cystic fibrosis will simply choose to adopt rather than parent genetic children. I also hope people who have a high likelihood of passing on other terrible diseases, like some familial cancers, will choose to adopt. I think that improved and more widespread genetic testing can lead, over time, to a voluntary removal of those genetic defects from the gene pool.

I don't feel that cloning entire people -- scientists or philosophers, for example -- is a wise idea. There is, of course, no way to tell whether a brilliant scientist was born with such destiny inherent in her genes, or whether her parenting and environment (which cannot be exactly duplicated) is equally important.

- Warren

chroot said:
I personally hope that people who find out they are carriers for genetic diseases like cystic fibrosis will simply choose to adopt rather than parent genetic children. I also hope people who have a high likelihood of passing on other terrible diseases, like some familial cancers, will choose to adopt. I think that improved and more widespread genetic testing can lead, over time, to a voluntary removal of those genetic defects from the gene pool.
I hope you are talking about the situation where both parents are carriers for the same disease? In such cases they now have the opportunity to do pre-implantation diagnostics.

I don't think cloning is a good idea, since you are playing with epigenetics (even in vitro fertilization is tricky, expect to see papers to come out on that in coming years). Cloning of individuals for their adult-life qualities is especially rediculous.

1. What is cloning?

Cloning is the process of creating an identical genetic copy of an organism. This can be done naturally through asexual reproduction or artificially through various techniques.

2. Why is cloning controversial?

Cloning is controversial because it raises ethical and moral concerns about the manipulation and creation of life. There are also concerns about the potential consequences and implications of cloning on society and the environment.

3. What are the different types of cloning?

There are three main types of cloning: reproductive cloning, therapeutic cloning, and gene cloning. Reproductive cloning is the creation of a genetically identical organism, therapeutic cloning is the creation of tissues or cells for medical purposes, and gene cloning is the copying of specific genes for research or medical purposes.

4. Is human cloning possible?

Currently, human cloning is not possible due to ethical and technical limitations. However, there have been successful experiments with animal cloning, which has sparked debates and discussions about the possibility and implications of human cloning in the future.

5. What are the potential benefits of cloning?

The potential benefits of cloning include advancements in medical research and treatments, such as producing organs for transplants, creating genetically modified organisms for agriculture, and preserving endangered species. However, these benefits are still subject to ethical and safety considerations.