Help with Partial Derivatives and Implicit Differentiation

In summary, the problem is that differentiating r^2 = x^2 + y^2 won't give you the correct answer for calculating dr/dx. You need to use the fact that dx/dx = 1 and dx/dy = 0, etc. to solve for dr/dx.
end3r7
The problem is as follows:

Cartesian and polar coordinates are related by the formulas
[tex]x = r\cos\theta[/tex]
[tex]y = r\sin\theta[/tex]
Determine [tex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial r}{\partial y}, \frac{\partial\theta}{\partial x}, and \frac{\partial\theta}{\partial x}[/tex]. Differentiate the equations above implcitly adn then solve the resulting system of 4 equations in the four unknowns [tex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial r}{\partial y}, \frac{\partial\theta}{\partial x}, and \frac{\partial\theta}{\partial x}[/tex].

Now, this seems a whole lot harder than just differentiating [tex]r^2 = x^2 + y^2[/tex], but I did anyway and the 4 equations are:

[tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\cos\theta - \sin\theta\frac{\partial\theta}{\partial x}r[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial r}{\partial y}\cos\theta - \sin\theta\frac{\partial\theta}{\partial y}r[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\sin\theta + \cos\theta\frac{\partial\theta}{\partial x}r[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial r}{\partial y}\sin\theta + \cos\theta\frac{\partial\theta}{\partial y}r[/tex]

Now, if I try to solve for [tex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}[/tex], I know what the answer should be by differentiating [tex]r^2 = x^2 + y^2[/tex], and it's [tex]\frac xr[/tex] or [tex]\cos\theta[/tex], however I can't seem to get that from combining the 4 equations.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the fact that dx/dx = 1 and dx/dy = 0, etc.

I did... it still doesn't give me [tex]\cos\theta[/tex] as an answer.

For example, to calculate dr/dx
using eq 1
I get [tex]1 = \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\cos\theta[/tex]
using eq 3
[tex]0 = \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\sin\theta[/tex]

If I use both separatedly or try to combine them, I don't get the same answer as deriving r^2 = x^2 + y^2

You seem to have cut off the end parts of those two equations. Try multiplying eq. 1 by cos theta / sin theta and adding it to eq. 3.

Why mutliply times tangent will help?
I cut them off because I multiplied teh other stuff by zero.
I can solve it using the Jacobian, but I just want to know the logic behind it.

You multiply eq. 1 by cos theta/sin theta so that when you add it to eq. 3, you cancel the terms involving dtheta/dx.

When you say you cut them off because you "multiplied the other stuff by 0" you can't just multiply one term of an equation by 0 and assume it will still be correct. The stuff you cut off was not in general zero.

Oh ****, you are right. Thanks a lot man, really appreciate it! =D

What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is denoted by the symbol ∂ and is often used in multivariable calculus to analyze how a function changes in different directions.

How do you calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, you need to first identify the variable with respect to which you want to take the derivative. Then, treat all other variables as constants and use the rules of differentiation to find the derivative. For example, for a function f(x,y), the partial derivative with respect to x would be found by differentiating f(x,y) with respect to x while treating y as a constant.

What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a technique used to find the derivative of an implicitly defined function, where one variable is not explicitly defined in terms of the other. It involves treating the dependent variable as a function of the independent variable and then using the chain rule to take the derivative.

When should I use implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is useful when you have a function that is not easily expressed in terms of one variable, but can be expressed as an equation involving both variables. It is also used when finding the derivative of inverse functions or when using logarithmic or exponential functions.

What is the difference between explicit and implicit differentiation?

The main difference between explicit and implicit differentiation is the way in which the function is defined. Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is explicitly defined in terms of one variable, while implicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is not explicitly defined in terms of one variable.