Efficient Graph Plotting and Modification: Options and Tips

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating graphs on the computer using programs such as Mathematica, AutoCAD, and Excel. The speaker also mentions wanting to use a Latex-like font for labels and asks for any help or suggestions on a more effective method. The responder mentions using Excel as a tool for annotations and fonts, but notes that the ease of producing plots may vary depending on the input.
r4nd0m
Hi, I have to draw this kind of graphs on the computer:
http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/1690/image1nc4.jpg
http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/6483/image2it9.jpg .[/URL]
I tryed to plot the graph of the function in mathematica, export it into .wmf file and then add some of the lines and labels in AutoCAD.
Is there any more effective way?
Another thing is - I would like to use some Latex-like font for the labels, but I don't know which.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Most of the time I just use Excel. You can do a lot of annotations, fonts, etc.. It does depend on your input on how easy it is to produce the plots though. I have done some pretty complicated plots though.

There are a few different options for plotting and modifying graphs on the computer. One option could be to use a graphing software such as Mathematica or Desmos, which allow you to input equations and manipulate the graph in various ways. Another option could be to use a vector graphics software such as Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape, which would allow you to create and modify the graph in a more precise and customizable way.

As for using a Latex-like font for the labels, you could try using a program like LaTeXiT, which allows you to create and export equations in Latex format. This could then be imported into your graphing software or vector graphics software to use as labels. Alternatively, some graphing and vector graphics software also have built-in options for using Latex fonts.

Overall, the most effective way will depend on your specific needs and preferences. It may be helpful to experiment with different software and techniques to find the best approach for your particular project. Good luck!

What tools are commonly used for plotting and modifying graphs?

Some commonly used tools for plotting and modifying graphs include Excel, MATLAB, Python's matplotlib library, and GraphPad Prism. These tools offer a variety of features and customization options for creating and editing graphs.

Can I change the appearance of my graph after it has been created?

Yes, most graphing tools allow you to modify the appearance of your graph after it has been created. This includes changing the colors, fonts, labels, and other elements to better represent your data.

What are the key elements that should be included in a graph?

A graph should include a title, axis labels, a legend (if applicable), and appropriate units and scales. It is important to also include any necessary units and a clear explanation of what the graph is representing.

How do I choose the best type of graph for my data?

The type of graph you choose depends on the type of data you are working with and the message you want to convey. For example, line graphs are best for showing trends over time, while bar graphs are useful for comparing different categories. It is important to choose a graph type that accurately and effectively displays your data.

Are there any best practices for creating a visually appealing graph?

Yes, there are some general guidelines that can help you create a visually appealing graph. These include choosing a color scheme that is easy to read and avoiding clutter and unnecessary elements. It is also important to label your axes clearly and use appropriate font sizes and styles. Additionally, make sure your graph is easy to understand and conveys a clear message.