Potential Differences in a Uniform Electric Field

In summary: I'm assuming this is due to the fact that the electric field is pushing the block in the opposite direction from the direction of the spring?In summary, when the block is released from rest, it will have the potential energy from the electric field and the potential energy from the spring.
lizzyb

Homework Statement

A 4.00 kg block carrying a charge Q = 50.o micro-C is connected to a spring for which k = 100 N/m. The block lies on a frictionless horizontal track, and the system is immersed in a uniform electric field of magnitude E = 5.00 X 10^5 V/m directed as shown in Figure P25.11. (not shown here, but the block is attached to a spring on it's left and the electric field is pointing to the right). If the block is released from rest when the spring is unstretched (at x = 0), (a) by what maximum amount does the spring expand?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta U = q_0 \Delta V = -q_0 E \cdot x[/tex]
[tex]U_{spring} = \frac{1}{2}k x^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{1}{2}k x^2 = Q E x[/tex]
[tex] x = \frac {2 Q E}{k}[/tex]

and that provides the correct solution but why does this work? I realize I'm setting the potentials as equals, but how can I do this?

We have (a) the change in potential energy from the field and (b) the change in potential energy from the spring. Since the spring is at rest at first, it's total Energy is 0, but when it reaches it's maximum, it has only potential energy. How can we equate this?

Or, can we say that it does have some energy at first, the potential energy from the electric field?

[tex]E_i = KE_{spring} + PE_{spring} + PE_{E field} = 0 + 0 + PE_{E field}[/tex]

and then later we have:

[tex] E_f = KE_{spring} + PE_{spring} + PE_{E field} = 0 + PE_{spring} + 0[/tex]

then by the law of conservation of energy, we may equate these? So,

[tex]E_i = Q E x = \frac{1}{2} k x^2 = E_f[/tex]

?

I made a B last semester; thanks everyone for your help! :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
or, should I say that
[tex]W_{spring} + W_{E field} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2} k x^2 - Q E x = 0[/tex]

when the total work is 0?

(d) Repeat part (a) if the coefficient of kinetic friction between block and surface is 0.200.

So I tried [tex]E_f - E_i = -f_k d[/tex]
[tex]-E Q x - \frac{1}{2} k x^2 = - \mu m g x[/tex]

but in this case the value for x would be non-real; twiddling with the signs failed to produce the correct answer. What am I not understanding correctly?

This seemed to do it:
[tex]E_f + E_i = -f_k x[/tex]
where [tex]E_f = \frac{1}{2} k x^2[/tex] at the strongest point it's energy is the potential of the spring
and [tex]E_i = - E Q x[/tex] at x = 0, the energy is the potential of the electric field on the charge

It seems odd that E_i is negative.

1. What is a uniform electric field?

A uniform electric field is a type of electric field in which the magnitude and direction are constant at every point in the field. This means that the electric field lines are parallel and evenly spaced.

2. How is a uniform electric field created?

A uniform electric field can be created by two parallel charged plates with opposite charges. This creates a constant electric field between the plates.

3. What is potential difference in a uniform electric field?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in a uniform electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of work needed to move a unit of charge between the two points.

4. How does potential difference affect charged particles in a uniform electric field?

In a uniform electric field, charged particles experience a force proportional to the strength of the field and the charge of the particle. The potential difference determines the strength of the field and therefore, the magnitude of the force on the charged particles.

5. What is the relationship between potential difference and electric field strength in a uniform electric field?

The electric field strength in a uniform electric field is directly proportional to the potential difference. This means that as the potential difference increases, the electric field strength also increases.